'63 Chevy II - June 21 Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '63 Chevy II - June 21 Update

I bought this 1963 Chevrolet Chevy II in November 2007. The cowl tag tells me it is a 1963 Chevy II Nova 400, with an L6 194ci inline six-cylinder engine, three speed manual on the column, 2 door hardtop coupe manufactured in Oakland, CA in the third week of June and was painted Marine Aqua with Aqua cloth trim and a vinyl bench seat. Accessory options were the passenger side exterior mirror & a push button radio.

The engine and transmission were already converted to a 327ci SBC and TH350 combination with a B&M ratchet floor shifter, keeping the stock 10-bolt rear end. It has an Edelbrock Performer RPM intake and Weber 4-bbl. carburetor, and "some" cam. Bucket seats from who knows what.

I am in the process of getting it right with respect to being mechanically sound and reliable !
    Then I'll make her pretty.

Here's what the engine bay looked like when I got it;

First test drive was scary. Great drivetrain, but the steering was all over the place. Found out later that the steering column was put together without any bearings. All manual drum brakes (note the single reservoir master cylinder). The heater leaked, so I cleaned that mess up and bypassed the core with a 3/4" - 5/8" heater hose adaptor kit and some new hose. While I was at the parts store, I also replaced the crappy 1" paper air filter with a 3" K&N and a pretty chrome Edelbrock air cleaner.

First major repair was the front end and suspension. I installed a PST "Super" polygraphite front end kit, front & rear KYB shocks, a 1" front & 3/4" rear sway bars, and a new Mullins steering box. While I had all this apart I also put on YearOne chrome shock towers. I also replaced the steering column with an IDIDIT black powder-coated tilt kit and a Grant "Classic" steering wheel with a “SS” horn cap and their cool security system kit.

I replaced the kick-down linkage assembly and realigned the “sticking” accelerator linkage. Vanity made me install a Mr. Gasket chrome accelerator dual spring & bracket and since the instrument panel only had the speedo hooked up and working, I installed a SunPro gauge set.

Here is the engine bay now;

Since the car already had the zip, I needed a good deceleration system, so I installed a Master Power Brake power front disc brake conversion kit (with 9" power booster, dual reservoir master cylinder and 11" vented cross-drilled/slotted rotors). The first time I hit the brakes they locked up.

... more to follow !

;D

Re: '63 Chevy II

Next on the list is to install my new BeCool radiator module with twin 11" straight-blade electric puller fans.
    It will handle 700hp (yeah, I wish !!).
    ;D

Here are some shots I took today ...

Comment

Killer car.

The progress shots are great.

The only ones missing as those of you smoking the tires down to the cords!

Brian
      That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Looks good, Steve! Bring it out to Maxton next time - we'd all like to see it.

Later
        Dan

Comment

Good looking car, Steve. How long have you had the staghorn, the mantels on that thing are huge.
          "Somewhere the zebra is dancing". Garth Stein's The art of racing in the rain.

Matt

Comment

Nice! I've never been a big fan of Chevy II's, but I really like this one.

Comment

box novas are great , nice progress

Comment

best lookin car on the planet

Comment

Hey White Monster:

Very nice very nice. I also bought a 63 Chevy II last October. Mine is a 4 door all original still with the 194 Cylinder straight 6 engine and 2 speed auto, bench seat, radio delete. Original Beige colour with red interior.

I also upgraded the brakes - took the drums off my 69 Camaro and put them on the Chevy, but am leaving the engine alone. Changed the axle and spindles from 4 bolt to 5 bolt, added 195/60/15's with 6 inch chrome reverse smoothie wheels, updated the steering box, front suspension, and am now painting the car. It also has low mileage and still had the plastic covering on the seats.

I am very jealous of your car - nice small block & tranny in it - that's a lot of work to fit it in. Your 2 door is quite rare to find, since 95% of the 62/63 Chevy II's I have seen are blown, tubbed drag cars. I wanted my car to be original and retro - kept the engine, upgraded the tires and brakes. Will add a hide-away radio for sound.

Also you will love the Master Power brake kit. I put the MP 4 disc brake system in my Camaro - what a difference.

Good luck with the Car. Mine comes out of paint next week.

Comment

Great looking car Steve. 8)

Seth
                    200 mph or bust.......

Comment

Very nice, I'll bet it will boil the rears with ease, looks like fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
                        The only ones missing as those of you smoking the tires down to the cords!
                        That may come if no one else can de-throne BlackoutSteve, but right now the tire budget is in the red.

:P

Comment

Awesome car! Chevy II's are my all time favorite.

Comment

Looks like it is progressing nicely. Those are great cars.
                            -dulcich

Comment

Originally posted by Orange95Z
                              Good looking car, Steve. How long have you had the staghorn, the mantels on that thing are huge.
                              Funny, I was wondering if anyone would notice my dog Max or the swimming pool in the windshield of the interior shots. I never considered the Staghorn fern.

Here is a better picture of the Stag where the car was. Note the bottom is still not covered with mantles (or pollups) as it was inside a barrel and was rotting. I rescued it and it is on the path to recovery.

Here are a couple of his bigger brother on the next limb ..

Max seems to like getting into the pictures ..

Comment

Working...
                              X