No announcement yet.

SBG's Special Buick Sledanette

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

transmission is now getting new guts. I have a 425 from a motorhome, I just learned those trannies have straight cut gears.... so the old turbo 400 is getting new gears, new clutches.... all for megacheap - and that's me, Mr. Megacheap SuperBuickGuy
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
      transmission is now getting new guts. I have a 425 from a motorhome, I just learned those trannies have straight cut gears.... so the old turbo 400 is getting new gears, new clutches.... all for megacheap - and that's me, Mr. Megacheap SuperBuickGuy
      With the emergency brake drum? Straight cut gears, 475... Or is it differated by the big sized MH? Got one from a 10 lug rear motor home and the tranny guy called it a 475.. Had the huge brake drum.. I do not know if they go 425-450-475... Might all be 425??

Comment

no drum... that's why it's a 425 not a 475 - at least that's what I was told... as I mentioned, until recently (that would be yesterday) I didn't know the motor home transmissions had straight cut gears.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
          It's here, and in true Stiney fashion I suggest checking out the pictures - it's going to sit for probably a year (okay, start time frame is October, but that depends on my other projects - which would push this back).

Okay, I'm calling ya' out. Its been over a calendar year, and even if you were using "Stiney-years" its still update time.
          Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post
            Okay, I'm calling ya' out. Its been over a calendar year, and even if you were using "Stiney-years" its still update time.
            it's 9" is sitting in the trunk (thanks Austin), the motor is on a stand in the shop, and I'm picking up the front suspension either on Friday or Sunday..... but it might have square exhaust, and, as a well known person with a face for radio, a love of guys in spandex, and a desire to see how many cheeseburgers can fit in his shorts once said ".... square exhaust, that's just stupid".... so why post a stupid build on here?

Comment

Everybody knows that Buicks make square exhaust pulses so it's perfect for that car. Tell whoever to pound sand - they clearly don't know squat about Buicks.

Dan

Comment

This is the coolest build you're doing (in my humble opinion).
                I'm still learning

Comment

When I really start rocking this build, I'll do it on V8Buick.com - it'll drive some traffic their direction; which, as they have reference books, open and free for the using on their site - keeping them in business (as it were) will be a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                    Everybody knows that Buicks make square exhaust pulses so it's perfect for that car. Tell whoever to pound sand - they clearly don't know squat about Buicks.

Dan
                    we all know that, but there's one cheeseburgler who seemed to think otherwise, and was quite vocal about it. That said, I'm still eagerly awaiting the promised article where he proves me wrong....

Comment

cheeseburger, cheesburger, cheeseburger, no Coke - PEPSI.

Sorry...

thinking out loud thru my fingers again...
                      If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

2003 Lincoln town car hit really hard in the side - as opposed to taxis and such which are used up... this works out okay. I cut it, I took its parts, I flipped it off when I was done.

Note the clever use of car blocks to keep the motor from falling when I cut its support out - stupid Fords

I also have a brand new transmission for the car - a 400 with 475 internals...
                        Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; April 12, 2013, 05:09 PM.

Comment

So you getting the front cross member?
                          http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                          1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                          ​​​​​​

Comment

yep, I don't know where - but somehow I found out that the panther platform has an aluminum, bolt-in, rack and pinion front suspension... as I'm using a ford 9" rear, this works out quite well....especially since the cost was less than $200

As you'll see later, it's not completely bolt - in (it attaches to the frame rails for the lower control arm... however, it's close enough that this will work perfect.

add to that, the Buick has a really narrow track width, and I want the wheels to get flush with the fenders - the panther platform is the perfect width to accomplish that. I'll be running 4" fronts, 15" rears.... so this should look okay

the other issue with the Buick - it had a straight 8 which is a bunch narrower than the v8 that's going in it.
                            Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; April 12, 2013, 09:14 PM.

Comment

it's getting common to see the later Panther front ends getting put in older pickup trucks these days... query F100 and Crown Vic will get you a lot of hits and some decent fab shots. My favorite one where the guy from Burleson (not too far from me) put a 4BT and CV front end in a 67 Ranger has lost all the pictures though. There are a couple on the Ford truck sites however.

4" wheel shouldn't be an issue but if you get larger, you probably already know the offset on the new Panthers is FWD like.
                              Last edited by Beagle; April 13, 2013, 06:02 AM.
                              Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

I'm going to redrill the rotors to 5 on 4 3/4 and do the same on the back.... so wheel offset won't be a problem

Comment

Working...
                                X