SBG's Special Buick Sledanette

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBG's Special Buick Sledanette

It's here, and in true Stiney fashion I suggest checking out the pictures - it's going to sit for probably a year (okay, start time frame is October, but that depends on my other projects - which would push this back).

This is a Super - not a Special which is smaller. But I love the lines, just not the size so I'm going to copy this car ... oh yeah, but put a drag suspension under and that little 462 twin turbo motor I've been building

Back floor is flintstonesque

But everything else is solid

Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; August 5, 2013, 06:18 AM.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Plans:
    462 Twin turbo, 900 hp (yeah, changing rods)
    Turbo 400 transmission
    narrowed 9"

Here's the hard part
    lay the front window back and take 1 1/2 - 2" out of the roof height.
    I like the long, sleek look so I'm thinking extend the back panel to a point (mimic'd with the rear fenders)
    pancake the hood
    I don't know what I'm going to do with the wheel wells - maybe skirts with the 10.5 drag radial behind it?
    I might also section the body to further sleeken (that's word, right?) the overall profile.

So, you might ask - how many of those "hard parts" have you done. 1 - I've pancaked a hood, if nothing, it should be entertaining.

Comment

I forgot the best picture. It seems like everything has blown up in my face, recently. I swear I've never had as many problems with as many different things as has happened recently. This Buick, didn't - oh it had plenty of ways to go wrong including the "I've never seen the car in person, and don't know the seller" way. However, it's exactly what was promised (even has a 3 speed transmission which I didn't expect).... but maybe I know why....

I would love to preserve this artwork in some way on the car.... don't know how yet - but somehow it's going to be saved, because maybe it'll ward off what's been going wrong

Comment

that's a big car, eh?

I can see it as a sled, but I'm not so sure about the go fast theme...somehow it doesn't seem to fit the car too well?
        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Damn what a killer ride just oooozes class keep us posted!

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
            that's a big car, eh?

I can see it as a sled, but I'm not so sure about the go fast theme...somehow it doesn't seem to fit the car too well?
            It is the same size as your 55, maybe even a bit smaller.

Originally posted by Pro Fleetline View Post
            Damn what a killer ride just oooozes class keep us posted!
            you have a discerning eye, and good taste

Comment

Buick had those clever stylists who could make a car look bigger...

It wasn't size I was referring too, it's style. This one oozes class, which makes it ripe for the sled treatment, not so much the hot rod treatment
              My fabulous web page

Comment

Eh, just mount a set of subtle wheels on the rear bumper and have an instant hidden wheelie bar!
                Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

You sure aren't afraid of building anything, and I do mean anything. The spider is a monumental undertaking in itself, and to follow with yet another - even more ambitious project only months later? Wow.

I don't even know what pancaking means.

Are you building this thing for a particular NHRA class? You mentioned a cage at one point. Just how fast are you hoping to take this thing down the 1320 - is it going to be a street car or???

wow.
                  There's always something new to learn.

Comment

pancaking means to take some of the crown out of a panel, to lower it. Slice and dice.
                    My fabulous web page

Comment

Wow, this will be cool!

What youre doing reminds me a friends project- 54 chevy coupe, but he's sticking with the stovebolt 6.
                      Local person
                      sigpic

Comment

what squirrel said

pancake you take a wedge starting from the back of the hood going to the front, it lowers the front of the hood making the car look sleeker.

Comment

Fantastic. I can't wait to see this one progress.
                          I'm still learning

Comment

Bu-Zilla!!!!
                            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Remember the childhood fable about the emporer's new clothes?? Is someone gonna speak up and tell him this is a really bad idea??

Certainly not me, I can't wait to see this thing take on new life!!

Comment

Working...
                              X