Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    It's been stumbling at tip-in, and seemed to not be pulling as hard as I'm used to from 2500 to 4000 rpm.
    I did the normal, make sure the squirter was right, that it moved right (fixed a bit there)... but nothing sprung out and said "look at me!!!"
    until I pulled the distributor cap.... I've heard of lubing the distributor, but this is ridiculous

so what to do? simply replace? upgrade a bit? .... I think I'll buy a cheap replacement so I can continue the diagnosis (I'm under no delusion that this fixes the problem... but with the amount of oil slung around, I'm sure it's a factor)....

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied

and it runs, again.... it's raining, so no test drives to see how I did...

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    almost like I know how to do this

yesterday I finished attaching it to the motor and doing the plumbing. Of course, I packaged up the EFI without taking the throttle pin off... anyway, tomorrow, wire the fuel pump and then set the pressure and float levels, then tune.....
    I'm going to be 100% cocky - I think I won't have to change anything from my initial settings (70/78 jets, 12 power valves - 6.5 from 5.5 rear, silver spring on the vacuum canister)
    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; May 24, 2014, 08:16 AM.

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    efi fuel pump

efi

one thing I should have done before is rebuild this carb... ah well, it's a holley, it's pretty simple to rebuild

a clean bench is an abomination

850 being used as a rag to keep crap out of the intake

pretty, shiney bits (after carb clean)

I wish I could put this closer to the tank but that's just not going to happen... fortunately, it's lower than the tank so once it's primed, it won't have to work that hard

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    EZ EFI removal

Yep, the day has finally come - what a waste of money, the issue with the EFI is lack of tuneability. You cannot control the IAC, nor can you force the EFI to follow a AF ratio - you can suggest an AF ratio, but the computer will say no and then you're stuck... and don't get me started about mpg, the holley double pumper I originally put on this (850 cfm) got better mileage and because there's really only one spot for the 02 sensor, I've gone through 2 in less than 1000 miles because they clog up (because that stupid thing is running too rich). Is it for sale? yes, but I'm not giving it away because eventually I'll build something this would work on....

Leave a comment:

• NASBackyard
    replied
    Nice work !

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    it's 7/8"

Leave a comment:

• mike343sharpstick
    replied
    The brakes on your Vette are very similar to what I have on the Javelin! Only difference is that I have the Aerospace Calipers rather than the Wilwood, but the basic design is very similar.
    Are you using the 7/8 diameter master cylinder? I have the 1 1/8 and I'm likely going to go with the 7/8 soon to reduce the needed pedal pressure.
    Very sad on the EFI, Damn!

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    I'm going to put the 780 Holley back on it... as for washing down, I need to change the oil too because it did fill the pan with gas.

Leave a comment:

• yellomalibu
    replied
    Disappointing - because the idea of some bolt-on fuel injection to make an old car more like a new car where you can just hop in and go, never worrying about mechanical/electric choke or if you have it tuned properly for every rpm, or washing down the cylinders with gas, etc ... it's a great idea. But for three times the cost of a "good" carburetor, it's hard to justify the expense - especially when one reads about the issues that come up.
    Good luck with the carb. What brand are you going with?

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    this, will be a carb on Sunday... I'm done

I replaced the wires on the off-chance that the other wires, of unknown origin, had breaks in it... it does run a bit better; but the display on the EZ EFI says the car is running lean (like 15.9 lean)... and it's actually running pig-rich (as evidenced by the black smoke)
    This is the 3rd O2 sensor that's gone bad or plugged or whatever... so somewhere I'll reinstall this on something that can use it or I'll simply sell it. As you can imagine, I'm not a FAST fan.

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by milner351 View Post
    Well in that case - once again you've proven your wisdom in purchasing and design decisions.
    I google well

Leave a comment:

• milner351
    replied
    Well in that case - once again you've proven your wisdom in purchasing and design decisions.

Leave a comment:

• yellomalibu
    replied
    I don't always comment, but I follow.

Leave a comment:

• JOES66FURY
    replied
    thems is sure purdy....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X