No announcement yet.

1975 Plastic fantastic aka Corvette

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking good. Sounds pretty healthy, too.
    Bakersfield, CA.

Comment

• the sound pickup in my camera doesn't do justice to how good this thing sounds.... it gives me goosebumps

anyway, a bit more done tonight
      I put the side molding back on, I decided I didn't care that it was silver - matches the wheels anyway

my temperature controller didn't work right - it came on at random hours/days and killed the battery at least once. So I'd been meaning to hook it up to switched power, so that's what this picture is

in the middle of the motor is a temperature switch (185 on) on the far side, above the alternator (but on the wheel well) there's a relay, which is connected to a fuse panel that is powered by the big post on the alternator... so full 12 volts without dimming the lights (I hope)....

that's all, tomorrow night, vacuum lines - or "why don't my headlights pop up?"
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• okay, so I didn't figure out the lights (yet).... sanded on the car, and sanded, and sanded... well, you get the idea.... and took it for a drive today - ostensibly to dry the car out after washing it.... I'm going to have to make it quieter - not sure how, but it's got to quiet down

Comment

• I was just looking at your pic of the engine and that looks like quite a sharp bend in the fuel line at the filter .

Comment

• yep, I've been meaning to fix it - but it works fine at this moment.... what's sick is I have at least 3 other holley fuel lines that would fix the problem... have I fixed it? nope...

So I did fix a couple other things
            note the missing bolt? I think I found the 'clunk' in the driveline, and the reason why there's a witness mark on the driveshaft even thought it's not hitting anything

and the mufflers are more elaborate
            I cut slots in the pipe, reversed the muffler (more backpressure), and wrapped the muffler with exhaust wrap

I also had to make my own clamp.... I feel so in touch with my redneck roots tonight

Comment

• update: I did fire it with the upgraded mufflers, it's quieter (kind of in the way a jet airliner is quieter then a F4 Phantom).... I'll find out tomorrow if it's still like driving from the middle of a maelstrom

and I'll say it again... dang is this thing quick. I got on it leaving my driveway, and normally I can get to 60 or 70 before I have to brake for the 30 mph corner..... I looked down and I was doing double digits more then that .... good thing it handles and stops well.

Comment

• mucho better, I can actually hear other things beside 4" exhaust.... and I even have a way of making it quieter, if necessary

Comment

• and clear coat.... 4 or 5 coats... and I have a couple runs to remove, and kamikaze bugs....

Comment

• That's gonna look nice - good job. You can color sand the runs?
                    Last edited by Beagle; September 2, 2012, 09:29 PM.
                    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• sags in the clear are easy to fix.... razor blade, a bit o' sand paper, and buff it all purdy

....and Pac. raceway pictures are coming... I hope. It looks like the rain is going to be here in 9 days..... yikes

Comment

• car is back together, fixed the cross member on the car

for reasons that aren't clear to me, GM put light gauge metal under the cross member - so if you jack on it, it collapses.

fixed

Comment

• It's a good thing you're a lawyer and not a welder .

Comment

• those welds are stock, GM, factory welds.... mine look LOTS better. I honestly thought that the PO had done that, but now I've seen at least a half dozen cars with the same crappy welds..... anyone who wonders how the foreign manufacturers got a foothold in America, need look no further then those welds.

Comment

• i should take pics of the spot welds on the lebaron there are splatters all the down the strut tower and one burn through lol
                              Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
                              Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

• There's a LOT of talk about the factory welds over on Digital Corvettes - it went on for years..... Neat site - good crew, if you haven't already checked them out.
                                sigpic
                                1969 Dodge Dart Swinger 340 / 4 speed
                                USAF Retired (1984-2005)

Comment

Working...
                                X