X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beagle
    replied
    Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
    yes, and 1300 is something that is not available at this time.

Scott - the power assist that is on the Corvettes is an extra special leaking device - kind of a like a VW, they leak to let you know they're not yet out of oil...
    sounds like my PSD ... yep, still has oil. Only, it won't start when it's too low. Safety feature.

Leave a comment:

• STINEY
    replied
    Scott - the power assist that is on the Corvettes is an extra special leaking device - kind of a like a VW, they leak to let you know they're not yet out of oil...
    Hey now!

Oh wait........that is correct. Carry on.

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by 1970camaroRS View Post
    Or a GenIII small block. I happen to know where one is located nearby...
    you are correct, it's right under the bench - right next to the Corvette.... and the SBC doesn't leak, the chinese oil pan, that leaks a lot

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
    ever considered the flaming river power rack and pinion setup??
    yes, and 1300 is something that is not available at this time.

Leave a comment:

• 1970camaroRS
    replied
    Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
    If you dont want any leaks, then you should get rid of that sbc and turn it into a pedal car. You can changed the valve in the pump to lower the amount of pressure thus reducing the granny's Buick feel to the steering.
    Or a GenIII small block. I happen to know where one is located nearby...

Leave a comment:

• silver_bullet
    replied
    ever considered the flaming river power rack and pinion setup??

Leave a comment:

• Scott Liggett
    replied
    because it's the manly thing to do

real reason - they're leakers, very bad leakers, GM did power assist on the Corvettes - so you can eliminate the power steering set up, replace the valve with a joint, and have a non-leaking system that transmits road feel a lot better. And manual steering isn't that terrible unless you're in a mall parking lot.
    If you dont want any leaks, then you should get rid of that sbc and turn it into a pedal car. You can changed the valve in the pump to lower the amount of pressure thus reducing the granny's Buick feel to the steering.

Leave a comment:

• 1970camaroRS
    replied
    Power brakes is one of the luxuries you should keep if you're going to drive the car in traffic any. Drove my brother's '67 Mustang with 4 wheel manual drums every other day for a few months. Never again.

That said, my MGB is looking like it's going the way of manual brakes...

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr4Speed View Post
    Eliminate the booster and go manual?
    maybe - it'd certainly go with the theme of this car

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
    Put a 1 1/8th master back on it.

Stupid question. Why no power steering?
    because it's the manly thing to do

real reason - they're leakers, very bad leakers, GM did power assist on the Corvettes - so you can eliminate the power steering set up, replace the valve with a joint, and have a non-leaking system that transmits road feel a lot better. And manual steering isn't that terrible unless you're in a mall parking lot.

Leave a comment:

• Deaf Bob
    replied
    We always remove the vac booster on our derby cars.. We have plates we made to bolt the MC to the booster's holes or studs..
    Brakes work fine.. Think of it this way.. You have pints at the wheels and gallon at the MC.. Doesn't take much to fill pints from gallon.. but if you go to a "quart" MC, then you are using more of it to fill your pints.. Gallon being the larger piston MC..

If you went smaller MC, larger brake lines, you are going to have less responsive brakes..

Leave a comment:

• Mr4Speed
    replied
    Eliminate the booster and go manual?

Leave a comment:

• Scott Liggett
    replied
    Put a 1 1/8th master back on it.

Stupid question. Why no power steering?
    Last edited by Scott Liggett; June 4, 2013, 08:42 PM.

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    so I went and saw one of my mechanic friends - we're going to try power bleeding it (as opposed to vacuum bleeding, gravity bleeding, or two person pump/bleed).... crossing fingers

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    well, you're up to speed - but the problem is this - I put a manual brake MC (1" bore size vs. 1 1/8" bore size) on the car, and the brakes are actually worse than they were with the poor low-speed vacuum.... in reality, they should be better with vacuum, and somewhere between okay and excellent without vacuum..... it's not, it's worse in all situations now

Leave a comment:

Working...
X