1975 Plastic fantastic aka Corvette

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post
    the ammout of body filler I had to use was surprisingly small once I layed the glass down over top of it and smoothed it...you would think I knew what I was doing when you look at it
    Cool, I'll send my hood to you and we can just pretend I know what I'm doing... oh wait, we can just pretend with the hood up here (drats!)

Ah well, the cost of this hood, shipped to my house was nearly $800 - so I remind myself that this will be $120 all in to do.... and I can certainly live with my mistakes (just add it to the pile).
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• a little bit of work

So yesterday, I glued the scoop down so I could fiberglass it into place
      First, tape the seams and remove the screws.

now I can flip it over without the screws holding the scoop in place

pre-cut some fiberglass

and goop it all down

Buddy the dog is unconvinced about the whole scoop idea - he's more of a NCRS kind of dog

made a template for the rear block

Comment

• are you gonna chicken wire the opening in the back?
        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Beagle View Post
          are you gonna chicken wire the opening in the back?
          Honestly, I hadn't decided.... I may make a semi-removable .090 aluminum plate (why .090? because it's what I've got).... otherwise, I'm considering simply draping some pre-preg over it then glassing it in place.

Comment

• More work

this kind of answers the question about what I'm going to do about the opening in back..

Choices: I can still build a box to capture cold air from the base of the windshield; or leave it open to allow airflow; or block it if I don't like it
            Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; November 19, 2012, 10:10 PM.

Comment

• 1st skim coat

normally I don't primer them before they're done; but I need to move the Corvette to my other garage, and I cannot let bare fiberglass get wet (a good trick to pull off in Washington)

and what it looks like on the car

Comment

• The scoop looked huge on the hood off the car, looks just right on the car.
                Si vis pacem, para bellum

Comment

• It does accent the OE fender flares nicely.
                  Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

• Originally posted by kyhunter89 View Post
                    The scoop looked huge on the hood off the car, looks just right on the car.
                    What he said.

Comment

• Paint it matte black and be done with it.

Comment

• Originally posted by hauen View Post
                        Paint it matte black and be done with it.
                        I'm seriously considering having the hood and t-tops covered with carbon-fiber wrap... because one of the upgrades for the hood is it'll be pinned on when this is done; so having a robust covering on the removable bits seems like a good idea

Comment

• I hate it when I do what I shouldn't.... dagnabit!!!
                          What I did was not pressure test after I cleaned the edges of the tank. Did I mention I filled it up yesterday? d'oh!
                          So here's a what to do (I've been here before, which is why I'm so irritated at myself)
                          we've seen this tank before

mark the leaks you find

err... houston, there's no seam there? wtf?

so how to weld on a tank full of gas vapors?

wait a second, first no seam, now no bubbles?

at least we now know where the top leak was..... err... leaks, there are several

So here's the deal, sunday after I go wheeling, I'll come back and weld the tank up.... between now and then, I'll leave a C02/Argon mix in the tank. Anyone who remembers chemistry knows why - argon is heavier than air; and doesn't support combustion... so I've used argon to purge the tank and by sunday there should be no oxygen in the tank.... should

Comment

• Thanks , I've just learned something ! .

Comment

• Did you pressure test before you cleaned the welds up? At first I was wondering why you had random arrows in the middle of the tank. Why you think its leaking there?
                              Si vis pacem, para bellum

Comment

• not random arrows. The first set of lines was where the fuel was spilling down the tank. The arrows point to where it was leaking after pressure testing.

What I didn't do was pressure test it the 2nd time, after I cleaned up the welds.... I got cocky, and now I get to fix it.

This is one of those classic - be an example or warning.... I do warning best, so that's what I'm doing now. There is a lucky, as it were, break - I'm going to brace the corners with caps because I don't believe the welds, but themselves, are strong enough to survive.
                                Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; November 23, 2012, 10:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X