No announcement yet.

1975 Plastic fantastic aka Corvette

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a Megasquirt - they burn up too; I figure I'll also hear from the "you should run a carb" crew as well...

FAST is getting the computer back, they'll fix and return - last I checked, MS will tell you where to find a schematic... too much sarcasm in my response?
    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; March 27, 2013, 07:15 AM.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Originally posted by milner351 View Post
      I'm not going to step into this thread and take over the role you usually play by telling you you should have gone with an MS system - that would just be mean.
      This just gets better and better.

I'm still learning

Comment

• I just had to, out of respect for all involved.

I'm glad to hear FAST is taking care of the issue. Way back when my first msd6 went haywire - I sent it back they fixed it and returned it with a list of parts they'd replaced.... one of the reasons I continue to buy stuff from them (although sometimes it's hard to justify the $$)

I hope you get it resolved soon and the FAST does not continue to be a side of the road sort of problem - for the $$$$ involved they'd better fix it - and quick.

At least with the MS the $$$ saved could be some justification for the issues... in this case - the $$$$ was spent - and the performance and reliability are expected, I hope they step up to the plate.
        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

• It sounds like it's on its way, out of a diagonostic step I think I would of unplugged the dash tach to see if the FAST signal cleared up. Never know when splitting a signal how one might effect the other.

Conversely, does FAST control the timing at all? Can it? The way I have/had my MS looped into the system is the HEI signal feeds the ECU then the tach out of the MS feeds the MSD box, then the MSD box out feeds my tach gauge in the car rather than split the signal I'm daisy chaining them so I know what the MSD box is seeing via the gauge. If the tach signal going into the MS is goofed it'll pass that on to the MSD box, if the signal out of the MSD box is goofed it'll pass it on to the guage, easy to tell which is goofed, the sensor in, or the MSD box/wiring after the ECU by plugging the laptop in and seeing if the tach gauge matches or doesn't match the laptop/MS reading. Curious to know if the FAST can be wired up that way, you should have to control the timing to loop it like that.
          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
            It sounds like it's on its way, out of a diagonostic step I think I would of unplugged the dash tach to see if the FAST signal cleared up. Never know when splitting a signal how one might effect the other.

Conversely, does FAST control the timing at all? Can it? The way I have/had my MS looped into the system is the HEI signal feeds the ECU then the tach out of the MS feeds the MSD box, then the MSD box out feeds my tach gauge in the car rather than split the signal I'm daisy chaining them so I know what the MSD box is seeing via the gauge. If the tach signal going into the MS is goofed it'll pass that on to the MSD box, if the signal out of the MSD box is goofed it'll pass it on to the guage, easy to tell which is goofed, the sensor in, or the MSD box/wiring after the ECU by plugging the laptop in and seeing if the tach gauge matches or doesn't match the laptop/MS reading. Curious to know if the FAST can be wired up that way, you should have to control the timing to loop it like that.
            FAST has a lifetime warranty - so it's all good on that front; they said (plus shipping) it'll take a week or so round trip.

Randal, were you on the phone call with them? that was the one thing they asked me to do.... unplug the tach. FAST Ez-efi doesn't control timing. There is no tach out from the FAST computer, so there's only one way to wire them both in. Still, it'd be hard for the tach to be working and the tach output from the FAST computer not to be working.... just before it died, there was a 400 rpm discrepency between the tach (which was replaced earlier in this thread) and the FAST computer. Also, I've noticed that there's a lean miss at WOT - which, with a tach problem, would be quite possible that the FAST system isn't reading the signal right and not giving it enough fuel. I'm hoping I'm killing to problems with one stone - we'll see.

John - the math is the same.... here it goes
            1800 for the FAST complete EFI system

700 for a MS3x computer, plus at least 400 for a throttle body from Holley, plus a pump and associated lines 400.... all of a sudden, we're at 1500, and I still have to tune the computer, wire it, and troubleshoot it if it goes wrong. So let's say the main circuit board is fried in the FAST computer, so I have to replace the entire computer - with a MS I'd have to replace the computer.... now we're at 300 MORE than the fast system.... yeah, MS3x is a pretty neat system (I have one), but even under the best of circumstances would I consider it more than about a 20% savings over the FAST system.... Even with a carb, using new parts, the cost is ~1200.... nothing is cheap in cars. However, this is all my experience, so with your experience your mileage may vary.

so no, I'm not convinced that any of these options are money savings result.
            Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; March 27, 2013, 10:12 AM.

Comment

• Thank you for the monetary explanation - for reasons such as these - I will stay with my $50 swap meet carbs for now.

Comment

Thank you for the monetary explanation - for reasons such as these - I will stay with my $50 swap meet carbs for now.
                Troglodyte!!

(sorry, in a poo flinging state of mind today, it'll pass...LOL)
                I'm still learning

Comment

Thank you for the monetary explanation - for reasons such as these - I will stay with my $50 swap meet carbs for now.
                  ah yes, the cheap route..... not to be a bit of an adze, however, how did cheap route work out with your Ford pickup? End of the day, how much did you really save (real dollars, not time spent dollars) by the time the truck was done?

back to the carb by the time you get time and parts into a used carb (presuming it can be made to work), it's easily a $500 carb by the time you get the rebuild kit, spend the time getting the parts, cleaning the parts, machining the parts, and having to run for parts that you didn't think you needed. Not even mentioning the amount of time and effort you spent in tracking down that $50 carb. I have a wall full of $50 carbs that didn't work out - so even the most basic presumption of $50 is pretty optimistic.

I've "saved" money before - and I learned from the best. My dad, ages ago, wanted a new bench grinder for his shop; and sent me out to find one. So I did, shopped 4 stores, compared features, went back and talked to him (pre-cell phone days), then went a shopped for the best price. By the time it was said and done I'd shopped for that silly grinder for half of a day... at that time I made something like 25/hr - so that shopping cost me $100 in lost wages, plus I had to buy the grinder ~70 bucks.... but I saved $20 (wooflippinghoo huh?).... of course, I also spent gas money, and wear and tear on my truck going and looking for it....

I'm not suggesting checkbook racing, however, I'd also suggest that even the best bargains - really aren't that terribly good.

Don't get me wrong, there are deals out there - but seriously, how often has the deal crossed the path of need? More often than not a project starts because of a great deal you got from some ancillary part (see Bob, I can use big words too). To this day, I'm watching for another S-10 blazer because I have some brand new V-8 headers for it.... of course, when it's all said and done, I'll get the blazer and put a 5.3 or 6.2 in it so the headers will continue to be nailed to my wall.... yeah, great deals - all on my project thread about a car I was supposed to do a quick flip on.... ohhh the irony and paradox of this
                  Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; March 27, 2013, 02:19 PM.

Comment

• I paid 110.00 for a new Holley 750 vacuum secondary off of ebay... yes, the deals are still out there.

Oh - and I have 390 headers for an F150 but I don't get too worked up about it. lol.
                    Last edited by Beagle; March 27, 2013, 03:59 PM.
                    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• I just have to ask one question.

Was it a handling mofo until it left you stranded? That's all I want to know, going and stopping are (relatively) easy, but getting one to REALLY handle, now that takes effort!

(from the guy stuffing 800# where 400# would suffice.....)
                      Last edited by STINEY; March 27, 2013, 06:11 PM.
                      Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• touché - I come from a long history of making something from nothing. I started into this hobby as a teenager with a great auto shop teacher, but not much help at home (Dad's a golfer not a hotrodder) Old habbits die hard.

I would have a REALLY hard time spending $1800 on an efi set up, I'm glad you did and I'm glad they are standing behind it - and I truly hope this is the last time this thing gives you trouble, and it works for you for a very long time.

Sure - my truck was a learning experience - just as the diesel benz was - but - I dare say that even with the $4k I put into that truck for the engine rebuild and other bits - because I bought it so cheap and it's not rusty - I could get all my money back out of it even to this day. As in most things - you make your money when you buy - not sell. Regardless - this is not about investments - it's about going fast and having fun - and you've done more of that in recent years than I have. I will continue to watch and learn, but I will not spend what I don't have.

Comment

• Originally posted by STINEY View Post
                          I just have to ask one question.

Was it a handling mofo until it left you stranded? That's all I want to know, going and stopping are (relatively) easy, but getting one to REALLY handle, now that takes effort!

(from the guy stuffing 800# where 400# would suffice.....)
                          oh yeah, I was recording it with my GoPro... probably should upload that

Comment

touché - I come from a long history of making something from nothing. I started into this hobby as a teenager with a great auto shop teacher, but not much help at home (Dad's a golfer not a hotrodder) Old habbits die hard.

I would have a REALLY hard time spending $1800 on an efi set up, I'm glad you did and I'm glad they are standing behind it - and I truly hope this is the last time this thing gives you trouble, and it works for you for a very long time.

Sure - my truck was a learning experience - just as the diesel benz was - but - I dare say that even with the $4k I put into that truck for the engine rebuild and other bits - because I bought it so cheap and it's not rusty - I could get all my money back out of it even to this day. As in most things - you make your money when you buy - not sell. Regardless - this is not about investments - it's about going fast and having fun - and you've done more of that in recent years than I have. I will continue to watch and learn, but I will not spend what I don't have.

John, as I say repeatedly - I do this for fun and learning... my first car was a $50 turd I pulled from behind a barn, might have had 400 in it total when I sold it and I drove it a lot over the 3 years I had it....

Comment

• anyway, some updates
                              I took the RST clutch out and put the one from the Buick in it - and it did solve all of the problems (hard shifting into reverse, not enough clutch travel)

so I came to pick up my car... maybe 30 minutes after it broke down... and this sight greeted me

I have no idea what happened, there's marks on the front as well... I'm pretty sure they weren't there before I started... ah well, I was going to repaint anyway and that spot was really crappy before - just not that crappy

Oh look, Bubba struck

that could be what caused the computer to fail....

here's the fix on the wires I pointed out before (that I was going to fix)

I found also another melted point where the wires connect from the battery and the alternator... fixed that too...

Comment

• I usually get a few loose wires after every engine re-install. Usually results in a flaky sensor, easy to track usually. The other day the cam sensor (in the HEI cap) came unplugged. Car hiccuped a bit, but then locked into semi-sequential mode and ran fine after a few moments.

And for the record, I likely still own the most expensive six hundred dollar car on the planet =P
                                Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Working...
                                X