No announcement yet.

1975 Plastic fantastic aka Corvette

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How about electric cutouts before the side exhaust? Then you can open and close them as you like, or even open them partially if you like. I use Badlandz HPE cutouts on the Austin, and they're full sized to the pipe, unlike many that reduce the size 1/2" or so at the cutout. They're also very reasonable, and a better warranty than anyone else's.

Comment

• Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
      That brake fluid attracts water and have you ever seen painted or otherwise protected brake lines?
      Pretty much just steel and out in the elements..
      Yes, I've seen painted/protected brake lines. Just put a bunch of it on the Falcon. Plated fittings, and coated lines.

Comment

• so the clutch is slipping.... praise God. No joke.

I had the flywheel resurfaced before I put the second clutch back into the car.... and it's overheated again - but why? I've put in hundreds of clutches and never had the trouble I've had with this one.... it appears that this clutch was not fully engaging - that the disk wasn't flat against the flywheel - keep in mind, this clutch went several thousand miles in my 455 Buick - so I know it worked, and worked well.

There are cracks at the bolt holes.... this is a steel flywheel, we never checked it for cracks because it looked fine.... yeah, I know, another amazing story

look at how this is worn, it's not even traveled 200 miles in this car

you can even see where we machined it

while I was inspecting underneath - I noticed the rear sway bar had broke off.... and bent this -....

these are not-cheap upgraded trailing arms from Van Steel. I have no idea why they didn't box this like the factory - you can imagine that it will be before this car hits the ground again...

so yes, God was watching over me.

now to redesign the rear sway bar..... again
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• I say screw it and go buy this one.

Just kidding.
          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• this car is starting to remind me of my diesel benz.
            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
              my favorite year and color, but automatic... still, with these last two things the car will be done - so I should probably sell it and start over
              Originally posted by milner351 View Post
              this car is starting to remind me of my diesel benz.
              uh, no

Comment

• A non op'd rubber bumpered smog era Corvette for $16,0000...SIXTEEN THOUSAND DOLLARS!

I'm all but speechless. Thats a $5,000 car at best.
                I'm still learning

Comment

• Originally posted by Bob Holmes View Post
                  A non op'd rubber bumpered smog era Corvette for $16,0000...SIXTEEN THOUSAND DOLLARS!

I'm all but speechless. Thats a $5,000 car at best.
                  in 1982, my dad decided not to buy a car because it was too expensive at $1,750. It was a 1957 Corvette with enough parts, minus a body, to build two cars and still have spares. In 1989, I had a choice of either a 69 Z-28 or 67 stocker for $700.00. I bought the stocker because (I still feel this way) the 69 doesn't look as good as the 67/8. My point is, your dislike of the car is coloring your viewpoint of the car. It's a Corvette, it will increase in value. I've been surprised by this, I honestly thought I overpaid for mine - now, I didn't take a 17,000 offer for my car because the offer was 4-8k too low.

A friend just bought a 77 - a complete rubber bumper car for $9500 and got a really good deal, it needs paint and a refresh; in some ways that car is better than his; it's certainly more collectible. The one-year only cars, especially in highly desirable product lines are always the ones to buy. Plus, even in California you can cure all of its ills by swapping a more macho motor without running afoul of the smog police.

That said, I've heard say that a notchback is "rare" and it's the "next" 57 Chevrolet... uhhh, no if you want to at least tread water in car values, you have to by car that is scarce.

With that said. it's an automatic car that's nothing special - 10-12k car; problem he'll have is he overpriced it far enough over market that even those who might be interested won't bother...
                  Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; May 24, 2013, 03:38 PM.

Comment

• My friend got his '80 one owner for free. Needed paint and seat covers. Engine was rebuilt. Even passed emissions. Shocker!! Too bad its a Cali 305 turd.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
                      My friend got his '80 one owner for free. Needed paint and seat covers. Engine was rebuilt. Even passed emissions. Shocker!! Too bad its a Cali 305 turd.
                      The best bolt on for a 305 is a 350! or is that a 5.3 now?
                      http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                      1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                      ​​​​​​

Comment

• How much hassle/expense is the non-op thing in Cali? Makes no difference here.

Comment

• Don't get me wrong, as a former Corvette owner I don't dislike the car. I'm just shocked by the price. Shows my ignorance of current pricing.
                          I'm still learning

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr4Speed View Post
                            How much hassle/expense is the non-op thing in Cali? Makes no difference here.
                            Its no hassle at all. You check off the box on the registration form and its like $25. So much cheaper than paying back registration.
                            Last edited by Scott Liggett; May 25, 2013, 08:14 AM.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• I did figure out what was wrong with the clutch. The dual clutch was set up wrong (by me), but I also didn't realize there was a different dual clutch setup - so even if I'd done it right, I still would have done it wrong because it was the wrong mid-plate. The second clutch died because I didn't grind enough on the flywheel. It was dipped and glazed, but looked fine (yeah, not bright)....

Anyway, lessons learned - car mostly back together.

if you look closely at that picture, you can see the line where the dual clutch was and the 11" clutch was..

I honestly think the rear brake thing contributed because it was dragging enough that the clutch had to work harder, and when it started to slip, it'd have happened more because of the additional drag. But still, mea culpa...

And when I pulled the lines off the car, the rear lines were bone dry....

Did I mention the "new" AC Delco brake booster was leaking already?

I replaced it with a Chinese one - maybe it'll be better quality (it's also the smaller diameter so I should get better braking with the reduced vacuum booster)

So a bunch of screw ups - at least I'm in good company (US, China, BS)
                              Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; May 28, 2013, 09:52 PM.

Comment

• Are those chatter marks on the flywheel?
                                Dunno why we all gotta reinstall parts multiple times... Dang poor quality shitz!

Comment

Working...
                                X