• Show
Clear All

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    I've checked, no one home.

Leave a comment:

• STINEY
    replied
    Bonus! Not often things work out like that.

PS, check your PMs.

Leave a comment:

• STINEY
    replied
    Bonus! Not often things work out like that.

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    the springs have sagged since I installed them, so probably not.

Leave a comment:

• STINEY
    replied
    Front spring/stance readjustment up next?

Leave a comment:

• yellomalibu
    replied
    Pretty!
    I like to do the valves before putting the intake on so I can see the lifters in the EOIC process, and watch the plungers as I tighten the rocker arms down.

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    and the heads torqued down

and intake sitting on it to keep the crap out

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    here it is with iron

boy, look at the poor maintenance there

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    these Vortec heads are stock, 1.94 valve.
    When I built my blower motor, I wanted to run Vortec heads with the blower and a friend claimed he could port/work the heads to put 2.02 valves in it. He ruined 3 heads and the heads that have the 3/8" hole were the replacement.... he kept grinding through, knowing what I know now - I wonder at why he did anything but cleanup on the Vortec heads. Oh well, was an expensive lesson for him.

Leave a comment:

• Scott Liggett
    replied
    Vortecs are no doubt the best flowing small block heads GM ever made. Our company makes a couple 350's that are the same with the exception one has the 87-95 heads with 2.02 valves, the other has Vortecs with 2.02 valves. 310 hp and 385 hp. 75 hp increase only with the heads.

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
    The real secret to cylinder heads isn't how pretty they are, or how big the valves are; it's how much air they flow. Heads are everything to making power. Getting the air in and out.

Hopefully they work well too.

the whole point of these heads is to provide the Vortec heads to the FJ40 build. - they cost the same as the Vortec heads, but they have the potential of a lot more... at this point, other than making sure the ports aren't too mismatched; they're staying as is and will, I hope, provide the foundation for a monster build for the Corvette... but the date of that build is well down the road.
    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; October 10, 2014, 06:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Scott Liggett
    replied
    The real secret to cylinder heads isn't how pretty they are, or how big the valves are; it's how much air they flow. Heads are everything to making power. Getting the air in and out.

Hopefully they work well too.

Leave a comment:

• 68scott385
    replied
    Originally posted by yellomalibu View Post
    To replace the rod bolts, especially if you are changing them from stock to ARP, aren't you supposed to resize the rods?

I think I like your plan of keeping the rpm's to 5500... for now. ;)
    Same with main bolts from what my machinist has told me. Your toy, play with it as you wish.

Leave a comment:

• yellomalibu
    replied
    To replace the rod bolts, especially if you are changing them from stock to ARP, aren't you supposed to resize the rods?

I think I like your plan of keeping the rpm's to 5500... for now. ;)

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    because I simply must test the stock rod bolts... I'll add this to my Corvette on Sunday

the first, and most important test of aluminum heads is the sniff test. For those of you who don't have a bloodhound, I'm not sure how you adequately perform this

these things are amazing, for less than $600 delivered - notice, it's also drilled for either the Vortec or the old-style intake

for those who don't, I suggest shop slippers

the important red-filter test

These things are pretty nice. They have cheap springs on them, they aren't blended at all and there is a bit of casting flash - they aren't machined at all except what is required - which actually tells a good story about their casting process.... good grief, these things are good castings (no big divots anywhere or poor mold prep), 2.05 intake, heads. They use the vortec design, you can get with angle or straight plug, and have old-school valve cover bolt pattern (which is cool since I have finned valve covers I want to put on my C3). I'm really impressed. $579 on ebay.

I may, actually, pull the motor and put ARP rod bolts on the bottom end... naw. I just have to be careful and keep my 5500 rev limiter firmly in place.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X