X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corvettes
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• You are killing me here Smalls. Just wanted you to know that....
      Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• why, preytell? I did think about your search when the guy offered up the C3, but honestly, it wasn't worth shipping to you.

Comment

• I'm seriously considering following this advice - only real difference would be the use of my current heads and intake, and putting splayed caps on my 400 block. And it would be 12:1 and I'd run E85. I'd swap the rear gears to 4.11, and look for a 5 speed.
          "the 377 is a good drag racing and road race engine. if you like small blocks. Eagle makes a 350 stroke crank 3.48, with 400 mains so you don't need special bearings on the mains. The price is very reasonable $325. It is forged steel for use with 6.0 rods on the 377, x-rayed, magnafluxed and sonic tested, nitrided, .125 radius on the rod and main journals, cross drilled and chamfered oil holes, stress relieved and shot peened. Eagle part number is 440034806000. You could use KB hyper pistons part number KB195-30 for the 377 and 6.0 rod, I've seen these go for $280. with 64cc heads the comp is 12.1:1, using the larger 76cc head you'll end up at 10.5:1.

Here is an example of a typical 377 build up using Victor Jr aluminumheads, Isky solid roller 264/277 cam, Victor Jr. Intake and BG 750 annual discharge carb the engine made 589 hp @ 6500 and torque peaked 516 @ 5200. At 4800 torque hits 508 and HP is 464, at 5200 516 torque, 510 hp, torque stays above 500 until 6100, at 7000 torque is 432 and hp is 576.

The relatively narrow spread between peak torque and peak horsepower of 1200 rpm would work well with a 4 or 5 speed. But on the street this will be a handful to drive, fun but a handful unless you are only taking it out on weekends. If you choose an auto you'd better plan on at least a 4,000 stall converter, 5,000 to drag race it with an auto."
          Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; January 16, 2015, 11:45 PM.

Comment

• If you have a 400 block, why not use a 3.75 stroke crank? Why not use the extra cubic inches?

Comment

• Becaue that's what DF would do. :-) How can anyone not like corvettes though, that's just in-American.
              Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

• Originally posted by yellomalibu View Post
                If you have a 400 block, why not use a 3.75 stroke crank? Why not use the extra cubic inches?

Because of Newton's first law.

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

Because of Newton's first law.
                  whatever you budget for a project, it will take twice as long and cost three times as much?
                  Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• Anything can go wrong at the worst possible moment in the most spectacularily destructive fashion!
                    Last edited by Deaf Bob; January 17, 2015, 03:38 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Beagle View Post

whatever you budget for a project, it will take twice as long and cost three times as much?
                      Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                      Anything can go wrong at the worst possible moment in the most spectacularily destructive fashion!

You both are quoting a philosopher, just not Newton, and no Murphy's first name wasn't Newton

Comment

• If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem?
                        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• Pliers are for squeezing, duct tape is for silence.

Comment

• 383 (350/400 crank) are truck motors, 377 (400/350 crank) are race car motors.... keeping the mass closer to the centerline of the crank means the oily bits are more likely to stay inside the motor - having larger pistons means the valves are less shrouded - which means more flow.
                            Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; January 17, 2015, 05:27 PM.

Comment

• Big bore + Short Stroke = Rev happy, lots of upper RPM power. A screamer if you will, and screamers are fun, until she starts making the dog howl too.

377 is just taking the idea that Chevrolet had with their 302 with 75 more inches but I'm sure this is nothing you don't know.

I just wanted to make a screamer joke.
                              Stew K.

2007 Chevrolet Trailblazer LS 4x4 4.2 L6 Stock DD
                              1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser Adopt-A-Whale
                              1988 Chevrolet R30 Custom Deluxe L05 3L80 C&C
                              1974 Chevrolet Corvette 350/TH400 (Garage Art)

Comment

• it's a cheap way of getting to the BB 427 I really want (and what will be in the next C3)

Comment

Working...
                                X