No announcement yet.

1975 Plastic fantastic aka Corvette

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The rock and a hard place I'm in with mine is BB or LS. I have access to a couple running truck 454's for the cost of driving to get them compared to having to go buy an LS engine.
    Stew K.

2007 Chevrolet Trailblazer LS 4x4 4.2 L6 Stock DD
    1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser Adopt-A-Whale
    1988 Chevrolet R30 Custom Deluxe L05 3L80 C&C
    1974 Chevrolet Corvette 350/TH400 (Garage Art)

Comment

• LS - you can buy a 6.0 LS motor with 175,000 miles on it for 1600. However, the moment you have to do anything to it, it's basically a dollar for dollar exchange compared to doing a BBC. I've done the math, it's still cheaper to build a carb'd BBC - and as they say, there's not substitute for cubic inches. However, once you start with EFI, then the picture gets a lot cloudier.
      My Corvette is a knuckle dragger - it's respectable on a track and on the street - but it's never going to be a new car, and that's okay. If I had the goal of a no-holds-barred car for a specific event, the decisions would be different... but with that said, I'd run the Fiat long before the Corvette... as Chapman said, hp makes you faster in the straights, less weight makes you fast everywhere.
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• True, if I go big block its going to be treated to a set of Aluminum heads and intake to be less than the all iron small block that's in it now. I have no problems running a carb on it; not going to be a daily, but not a garage queen either. It's going to be a knuckle dragger, tire smoker that the exhaust note from a side pipes will set off car alarms like a scared little kid peeing their pants.
        Stew K.

Comment

• So what I hear you saying is that it's too easy to get 500 hp out of a 6.0 with a cam, the aluminum 6.2 is just too light, and building a dirt track motor is what you really have in mind?
          Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stewzer55 View Post
            The rock and a hard place I'm in with mine is BB or LS. I have access to a couple running truck 454's for the cost of driving to get them compared to having to go buy an LS engine.
            the answer is screaming itself in this sentence.

Comment

• At least you're not telling me to put a Windsor in it.

It's a 300 mile round trip. The engines are on my late grandfather's property and the one will need a valve cover because it landed funny when we were putting in in the shed due to a hole in the floor and myself not wanting to break my leg in multiple places. Can't forget that day, I was in a fender bender and it was my brother's birthday. I'll have to call and get help from my Uncle or one of my cousins or take a friend. hmmmm.
              Last edited by Stewzer55; January 17, 2015, 07:12 PM.
              Stew K.

Comment

• Eh... I've seen too many race car motors with 3.75 (and longer) strokes that will turn just as many rpms as the shorter stoke engines. If balanced properly and good parts are used, the limiting factor to the rpm is the valve train... but... on the other hand, I suppose that with the shorter stroke, less expensive parts are required to ensure (insure?) the parts stay inside the block and oil pan.

carry on.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stewzer55 View Post
                  At least you're not telling me to put a Windsor in it.
                  Clevor would be better.
                  http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

• Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                    So what I hear you saying is that it's too easy to get 500 hp out of a 6.0 with a cam, the aluminum 6.2 is just too light, and building a dirt track motor is what you really have in mind?

most 6.0s are cast iron, at least all 6.0, and 6.2s that are available for less than 2 grand.... so I'm not sure what your point is.

Comment

• Originally posted by yellomalibu View Post
                      Eh... I've seen too many race car motors with 3.75 (and longer) strokes that will turn just as many rpms as the shorter stoke engines. If balanced properly and good parts are used, the limiting factor to the rpm is the valve train... but... on the other hand, I suppose that with the shorter stroke, less expensive parts are required to ensure (insure?) the parts stay inside the block and oil pan.

carry on.

I don't drag race. What I play in has people with their itty-bitty motors eating the BBC's for lunch because weight...

Comment

• That car is gonna need its own thread, but threads are worthless without pics and I don't have any.
                        Stew K.

Comment

• Originally posted by Beagle View Post

the answer is screaming itself in this sentence.
                          especially since people are giving away 396 cranks... you know, those pesky little cranks that, in a BBC make 427 ci....

and if that doesn't convince you... consider this....

Comment

• you mention light fiat, I mention aluminum 6.2
                            you mention high dollar LS parts, I mention that you can make 500 with a 6.0 and a cam. (okay, and springs...)
                            you mention reciprocal mass (but I didn't see cylinder side loading), I mention a 377 being a popular dirt combo.

I'm just giving you shit. Build what you want. If I were looking at low buck LS builds, though, I'd look at the 5.3 or boost a 4.8.

None of them are cheap when you start buying heads... but you don't have to buy heads if you get the right LS, or the right 454 for that matter.

gawd I'm confused. You're arguing FOR and AGAINST the BBC in the same thread? Starting to look like one of my project threads where I argue with myself over engine choice. lol.
                            Last edited by Beagle; January 17, 2015, 07:28 PM.

Comment

• It's called discussing the pros and cons of either engine architecture. What would Zora Do?
                              Stew K.

Comment

• yeah, 'cept ol SBG here is flip floppin around like he's a lawyer or something.

Comment

Working...
                                X