Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Beagle View Post
    you mention light fiat, I mention aluminum 6.2
    you mention high dollar LS parts, I mention that you can make 500 with a 6.0 and a cam. (okay, and springs...)
    you mention reciprocal mass (but I didn't see cylinder side loading), I mention a 377 being a popular dirt combo.

I'm just giving you shit. Build what you want. If I were looking at low buck LS builds, though, I'd look at the 5.3 or boost a 4.8.

None of them are cheap when you start buying heads... but you don't have to buy heads if you get the right LS, or the right 454 for that matter.

gawd I'm confused. You're arguing FOR and AGAINST the BBC in the same thread? Starting to look like one of my project threads where I argue with myself over engine choice. lol.

but that's the rub, I don't have to buy heads, or side pipes - they're already on the Corvette.... no really, there is method to the madness. In any case, that little blip I posted before - about 589 hp and 516 torque... that is more than LS.

I'm building a BBB, I'm not building a BBC... no confusion there. I'm building a relatively cheap 377 (or at least that's what I'm proposing)... while the LS is cool with its cross bolted mains - frankly, at 600 hp, I don't need them. Add to this issue - if you noted in the suggested build thread, there were prices there....
    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; January 17, 2015, 09:26 PM.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
      You both are quoting a philosopher, just not Newton, and no Murphy's first name wasn't Newton
      If it moves and ain't supposedta, use duct tape
      If it doesn't move and is supposedta, use WD-40..

Comment

• what do you use for a tree that fell on the neighbor's house?

Comment

• a chainsaw.. we used to use WD40 as starting fluid for chainsaws. It won't light anymore... they should call it WD41.

There's a 396 cranked 454 bored BBB in this conversation now? For the Fiat? Won't that upset it's balance?

I wasn't paying close enough attention to when you bought Victor Jr heads and a snotty solid roller for the 350.. I'm really just trying to keep up here.

I'm all about neanderthal... don't get me wrong. I think it's great. For your car. haha. I don't think I would enjoy something that needs a 5000 stall converter for anything but drag racing. Are you gonna put 5.13's in the 'vette?

A compound turbo'd 4cyl baby Duramax should work it's way into the conversation any time now.

OH - how much do you want for the Fiat? I've got this Kubota v2203di you see, and I like that I wouldn't have to cut mine up... then you could put the Buick back in the shed. Your wife is probably already dizzy from the cars coming in and out of the shop, she'll probably never notice. If she does, maybe we could work a trade. Mine has a top still so you could put it outside and keep the Buick inside.

I really don't remember what heads you put on the 350, what were they? A 377 is an interesting choice, like Stew said... big bore 327 more or less.
          Last edited by Beagle; January 18, 2015, 07:01 AM.
          Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• all good ideas, but I'm sad, now
            That tree, hit my house

my treehouse DAMN YOU HEMLOCK TREES, YOU WILL ALL DIE!!!!!!!

*sniff*

Comment

• Ah, Hemlock. in the words of a great philosopher, Socrates... "I Drank WHAT?"

I have no idea where this conversation is headed, so here's a haiku:

Hemlock tree falling
              why must gravity guide you
              to land on my house
              Last edited by Beagle; January 18, 2015, 09:42 AM.

Comment

• Hope all is well and not much damage to your house! .
                Was kinda windy last night..

Comment

• actually, I was pretty fortunate, a couple degrees and it would have landed on my garden shed - you know, the one that has the tractor, bobcat, CR500, and all the garden tools in it? in this case, it toasted a treehouse - and while I will probably have to do some kind of fix on that (it's amazing the number of kids we entertain) it could have been a lot worse.... pictures a bit later

Comment

• I think someone was trying to talk me into putting a 396/402 crank into one of my 454 BBCs They're from trucks so probably peanut ports and 4 bolt mains, which is why the one going into the Corvette get a set of aluminum heads and intake to keep the weight down to just under the stock SBC weight. The Corvette has had an engine swap in the past so it could be a 262, 267, or a 305, maybe it's a 400? Either way there's something about the phrase "Big Block Corvette" that is exciting.
                    Stew K.

2007 Chevrolet Trailblazer LS 4x4 4.2 L6 Stock DD
                    1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser Adopt-A-Whale
                    1988 Chevrolet R30 Custom Deluxe L05 3L80 C&C
                    1974 Chevrolet Corvette 350/TH400 (Garage Art)

Comment

• in that spot was a treehouse.

rotted all the way through at the bottom

Comment

• Got next year's firewood up at least...
                        Glad it wasn't worse!

Comment

• so I'm guessing the Fiat trade was a no. How's the tree farming business?

Comment

• Nice warm shop come winter time....
                            Stew K.

2007 Chevrolet Trailblazer LS 4x4 4.2 L6 Stock DD
                            1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser Adopt-A-Whale
                            1988 Chevrolet R30 Custom Deluxe L05 3L80 C&C
                            1974 Chevrolet Corvette 350/TH400 (Garage Art)

Comment

• hemlocks are nearly useless as firewood...

in other news, I got some billet caps for my 400 today.... 377?

Comment

• better than a lot of pines...

Comment

Working...
                                X