No announcement yet.

1975 Plastic fantastic aka Corvette

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is funny, though, I wonder if the next "big thing" is going to be people building true replicas their high school car. Kind of like a crusher camaro vibe.

I did like the Slo Pokes cars... those were pretty cool - kind of retro-ish, but no one trying to be retro....
    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; March 18, 2012, 10:11 PM.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I don't want slow crap with no a/c that dripped half of it's oil and burned the rest. No first car memory rebuilds for me. Maybe I'll build one some day that is what I *wanted* for my first car.

"fau"tina... there's a concept that would have NEVER occurred to me, although I'll toss acid (Patina) on leaded glass to darken up the lead. My great uncles had a couple of really great old farm trucks, they had patina. They were also bailing wire and bubble gum death traps - appliances for a farmer. They were proud of their "nice" cars and kept them washed and waxed, no "patina" on them.

Everyone's got their thing... I do kinda dig the Betty Paige haircut Betties though.

I always liked the rally's on 'vettes of this vintage. They look "right" .
      Last edited by Beagle; March 19, 2012, 04:40 AM.
      Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

my dad wouldn't let me drive a car that had those problems - it could look like crap (and oh did my brother push the limits on that one lol) - but it had to be mechanically sound.

Of course, finances dictated that whatever I drove came from behind a barn, so it was a challenge to make them and keep them sound.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
          Maybe I'll build one some day that is what I *wanted* for my first car.
          I just kept my first car and gave it the engine, transmission and brakes I always wanted it to have
          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
            I just kept my first car and gave it the engine, transmission and brakes I always wanted it to have
            I honestly hope that my first car is still rusting into the ground in Eastern Washington. The Skylark I have now is what I would have had if I'd had a choice...

Comment

You don't think I sat down and said "Dad, I want a '77 Buick Skylark" do you? First car I bought was a '69 Firebird, I've just gotten fond of the ol' Skylark over the years.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
                You don't think I sat down and said "Dad, I want a '77 Buick Skylark" do you? First car I bought was a '69 Firebird, I've just gotten fond of the ol' Skylark over the years.
                That's f*ing funny. Thanks Randal, I needed that. My conversation went something like "Dad, what are you gonna do with that leaking turd out front that Mom ragged out and sister mangled the clutch in?" (74 Vega, porked a/c, bad clutch, leaking oil burning thing) and his response was "If you'll put a clutch in it, you can have it."

That was priced perfect, and still totalled my savings. lol. I can still smell the hypoid 90wt, and marvel at how the Saginaw weighed almost as much as the engine. It was sound enough to drive mechanically, you just carried a couple extra quarts of 20w50 with you if you wanted to go a full tank of gas without stopping at the Chief. The 20w50 dripped out slower. My dad's deal was "No, you can't put a V8 in it" and since I lived at his home, I complied.

A long long time ago, I remember reading something about fiberglass leafs to take some of the nastiness out of the ride on this vintage of Corvette?
                Last edited by Beagle; March 19, 2012, 08:59 AM.
                Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

The best way to get rid of the ride of this vintage corvette is to sell the car.
                  There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                    The best way to get rid of the ride of this vintage corvette is to sell the car.
                    hmmmm... I'm thinking John wants a plastic fantastic car

my first car conversation went like this:

"hey dad, did you see that 1962 Buick behind the barn?", "yes, the guy wants $100 for it but that's too much." Fast forward a couple days - I'm at the "owner's" house. I call my dad, "Dad, I'm at the house of that 1962 Buick - the guy wants $75.00 for it. You haven't paid me yet this week (working for him), so simply pay me so I can buy it." My dad answers "you can't pay more than $50 for it." I tell the owner, the guy had called his brother (the true owner of the car) and gotten approval to sell for $75. The house owner says "oh fine, I just want the car gone - if it costs me $25 it's cheap." So we go pick up the car, and my dad hands the guy money and takes the title. Picture me with a puzzled look on my face - since this was supposed to be my purchase.
                    We get home with the car at the end of a rope. I start with the plans for "my" car. I was informed that it wasn't my car - that my dad decided it was his, but I could drive it..... happened twice more once with a 65 Sunbeam Alpine, and the Studebaker truck I owned.... now my conversations about cars I know my dad wants goes like this "see the picture of the car I've bought?"

Ah well, when my dad was all hot and bothered about the 50 Sedanet I bought, and with the 37 and 38 Chevrolet coupes I bought (his first car, and his first dragster) - I have zero conscience about not selling them to him.... payback really is a b**ch
                    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; March 19, 2012, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Oh you can give me a corvette - and I'll drive it - while I'm busy trying to sell it!
                      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

My exact thoughts. Although I have to admit to a certain attraction to that models body lines........ must go back to my first remote control toy, it was a green one with orange/yellow pinstipes.

All the cats were scared of me when I was rolling my 'vette.......
                        Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Got to love the thread high jack! Good luck on the Vette flip what color are you going to paint it?

I still have my 1st car its under a shead on the farm 85 t-bird 3.8 cfi auto, and its beat after me beating on it for 5 years my high school shop teacher said they should put it in a commercial. I am currnetly driving my HS dream car a 5.0 mustang!
                          http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                          1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                          ​​​​​​

Comment

I'm thinking I'll repaint it some form of resale red. I also have black, so that might happen too...

This particular vette - if anyone has ridden the go-karts at Disneyland, the view from the driver's seat is C3 Corvette.... so there is history there.

John, you own a Falcon and you're hating on a C3 Vette?

I'm with you Russell, the Skylark really is the car I would have had in high school. Yeah, I dreamt of C4 Corvettes, Camaros, Firebirds and such.... but the Skylark is what I would have had - I'd like to think it's better than, but I built it while I was in college / post grad (went back to college) so many of the decisions and parts on the car came from getting what worked, not what was best.

Comment

I didn't really have a car in mind, heck I knew zip about cars and they were simple appliances until I got my Skylark. My Uncle passed away about six months before I turned sixteen, and he was occasionally driving my Grandma's Skylark until then, so my Dad asked my Grandma if I could have the Skylark. The 3.8 had a couple flat lifters, ran like crap, backfired, etc, but we drove it home and my Dad the fleet mechanic promptly sat in his lawn chair with a beer and said "There's the tools, start pulling things apart." We changed out the lifters only and that was good for a while until a head gasket went, then it got another set of lifters, then I eventually replaced the rod and main bearings with the engine in the car to get some oil pressure, etc. I worked on the car a lot simply to keep it running. Eventually I found the junkyard to get parts, then started working at the the car dealership when I was 18 and things really started to take off and I bought a '69 Firebird with my "washing cars" money. I got a late start =P but between the fleet mechanic Old Man and talking with the mechanics at the dealership I got a good technical education, hotrodding didn't happen until 2005 =P

Comment

We lived in the country, and while I do enjoy riding my bike; dates and more importantly (meaning the reason my parents would let me drive) was I went to a boarding school several hours away... so my parents allowed my first car. Of course, I did a lot of the work on the car - especially the mechanical. But by that time I'd been helping my dad work on his cars; so I had a basic idea of how a car worked. My dad did the bodywork on the car, but I did everything else.

Anyway, back to plastic.

I didn't do much - swapped wheels and got the other wheels on Craigslist... I also ordered the cam, carpet kit, and dash repair kit....

I've had this set of wheels around for awhile - not in love with them, but slicks and the Skylark seem destined for each other..

Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; March 27, 2012, 09:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X