1975 Plastic fantastic aka Corvette

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
    suckiest part is when you have to get more tools cause you broke one.... the problem is the jack didn't have a safety port at the top to prevent overjacking....

I swear I should simply write a book giving my experiences with some of these companies - the update today is Eastwood has a 1 year warranty, so it's out of warranty. However, the bad news continues - even if I had been within a year, they wouldn't cover it because I "abused" it..... meaning I need to have a tape measure on the jack to make sure I don't overjack....
    Get a welding rod if you have it and mount it so u can see full extension on your cylinder.. (or a stick)

Comment

• So, my tool design/break work is going well

new jack

broken jack

time to redesign. My newest theory is there's too much side load on the jack because where they put the pivot point on the die

so

I moved the pivot point as close to center as possible (an inch closer)

Didn't have much time to try it last night - had to go back to Harbor Freight and get another jack... which is kind of funny since I'd humorously (prophetically?) thought when I was there earlier to buy 2 jacks. When I was there the second time they told me there was a 3 month warranty on these items
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• 3 months looks like it did not last 3 hours. Are you sure you are not over extending and (ab)using it like the other? looks like the gard fell off your grinder. I have scare that reminds me they remove skin very quickly.
        http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
        1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
        ​​​​​​

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell View Post
          3 months looks like it did not last 3 hours. Are you sure you are not over extending and (ab)using it like the other? looks like the gard fell off your grinder. I have scare that reminds me they remove skin very quickly.
          the 1st one may be over extended, but the 2nd one broke while I was checking the angle - not while I was jacking... also, the jack that broke can extend another 1"....

and yes, those lousy DeWalt angle-grinder safety devices tend to fall right off when you're removing them from the box

Comment

• harbor freight was impressed, they said 1st time they saw a jack split vertically. I said, must be from melted down 302 ford motors - they didn't get in.... {sigh}

they did refund my 21.00 though, so it's all good

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
              and yes, those lousy DeWalt angle-grinder safety devices tend to fall right off when you're removing them from the box

I'm sure you've mapped the quickest route to the ER by now. I think they know me by first name.
              I'm still learning

Comment

• Originally posted by Bob Holmes View Post

I'm sure you've mapped the quickest route to the ER by now. I think they know me by first name.
                actually, they do

I even know which surgeons to ask for and which to avoid.

If you watch the Simpsons, there's one where Homer forgets to pay his health insurance bill - then goes onto a montage of all the ways he's been hurt - which concludes with this great statement "health insurance is the great deal ever!!" I personify that... ah well, I never aimed to be the best looking corpse in the graveyard.

Comment

• well, it only took 20' of DOM tubing (at 6.99 a foot) to make one hoop

at least now I know how my bender works - so it should work better now, with a few less practice pieces

Comment

• Dont feel bad. Yannick made three hoops to get one that would fit on a customers car last week.
                    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
                      Dont feel bad. Yannick made three hoops to get one that would fit on a customers car last week.
                      thanks, that does make me feel better. I bent 3 as well, the 2nd one is the one I'm most irritated at myself about. I had all the dimensions with the 1st one (too long, but cut it so I could use it as a template); then I didn't use it I trusted my memory with one dimensions..... and oh was I off!!

With the eastwood bender, the "trick" I found is to bend 2 radii, one at 55* the other at 35* from the other direction on the tube.

Comment

• I came into his shop and saw the little car, a 74 Datsun 510 with an LS1/ 6 spd, with a new roll bar and two more hoops leaning up against the wall. I asked what car the other hoops are for and he just scowled at me.
                        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
                          I came into his shop and saw the little car, a 74 Datsun 510 with an LS1/ 6 spd, with a new roll bar and two more hoops leaning up against the wall. I asked what car the other hoops are for and he just scowled at me.

I know that feeling well ah well, if you can't laugh at the silly stuff; it's just not fun anymore.

although, when friends ask me those kind of question I either come up with a great cock and bull story; or mutter an expletive which describes my feelings about the person who asked....

still, I told one person that the 2nd bent one was for a handrail.... I bent the 1st 90*, started the 2nd and said a bad word.

Comment

• Got roll bars hidden in blackberries that are fails... Hate to chuck anything, but I'm running outa room

Comment

• More roll cage

First, make the angles the same... weld to table, heat bend, straighten by hand

cut and fit a spreader bar

test fit and make the rear braces (bolt to the seat belt anchors and weld to the frame)

Paint

I'll weld it in tomorrow - maybe even get the carpet in and the seats

Comment

• Good day's work....

Comment

Working...
                                X