No announcement yet.

1975 Plastic fantastic aka Corvette

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• back to waiting for parts, went to rebuild the front calipers tonight.... no go on that one; looks like a brake upgrade will be in order...
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• I'll look forward to seeing how it works for you. I was thinking about putting it in a refrigerator before machining.
      I'm still learning

Comment

• Originally posted by Bob Holmes View Post
        I'll look forward to seeing how it works for you. I was thinking about putting it in a refrigerator before machining.
        no need for refrigeration, it's 65 and raining in Seattle

Comment

• 108*, but its a dry heat.
          I'm still learning

Comment

108*, but its a dry heat.
            Bob you hot rod and efi old hemis, fix old fox bodies with 4 cylinder motors, I didn't really need more reasons to doubt your sanity

Comment

• sometimes example, other times warning....

calipers removed

broken apart

note here, stainless linings, but also notice the lip on the seal.... GM went to an O-ring after these were made, and these can be converted for 50/each

however, financially speaking that'd be poor - the rotors are worn on the back side. The rotors are almost at minimum spec, but wearing far more on the back side.... and again, this is a track car so upgrading brakes makes the car more sellable. Also, the brake lines were shot, the pads were junked by brake fluid, so add it all up and it makes sense to simply replace with wilwood calipers and drilled/slotted rotors... seems like pearls on a pig, but I've gotten to like the ability to stop so it will be what will be

oh yeah, plus I get to fix a breakage - when the ferrel that held the brake line to the rubber line twisted the brake line as well... so a bit of flaring will be in order soon.

in other news.
              I traded the power steering from this car for the rest of the interior plastic pieces, and figure I can probably get the doors fixed for the rest of the parts....

what I did learn - the power steering ball joint unscrews..
              Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; July 10, 2012, 08:24 PM.

Comment

• Man, is this thing a flood car? Those calipers look like crap.

Glad to see you're addressing the brakes properly. Everyone seems to want to go fast. I've found that stopping can be just as/or more important.
                I'm still learning

Comment

Man, is this thing a flood car? Those calipers look like crap.

Glad to see you're addressing the brakes properly. Everyone seems to want to go fast. I've found that stopping can be just as/or more important.
                  no silt, but it does seem like it in places... funny thing about flood cars, the undercarriage tends to be absolutely grease and dirt free - which is always something to remember when considering wading in a flood....
                  to be honest, I'm not sure why it leaked. The seals were in decent shape, maybe the fluid went around the stainless sleeves? but oh are they a bugger to put back together.

and you will note, I did fix the car; and drive the car before I addressed the brakes
                  Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; July 10, 2012, 08:47 PM.

Comment

• Today
                    1st turning
                    I took the power steering off the car, you must replace this joint if you do - otherwise you'll have vague steering because the ball moves back and forth to actuate the power steering assist.

then on to the next issue. You can get a wider tire under the rear if you do two things, notch the control arm, and relocate the spring. Today is fixing the 1st problem
                    Mark

Cut

brace

locate in the hole

weld (carefully)

then cover

and weld

now the arm doesn't intrude on the wheel space.... I know it doesn't seem like much, but rumor has it that a 335/40 17 will fit with this little mod.... we'll see, after all, you can't believe everything you read on the 'net. I may use a 335/40 19 to avoid the spring issue.... we'll see.

Comment

• forgot a picture - also fixed ebrake cable

Comment

• more bits

these bits - I bought for the Spider, and they won't work - so now it looks like they have a new home

so that means that I'm putting the Super T-10 in the Corvette

I love progressive projects - it's how I learn. My first real build (not rebuild, I've done hundreds of those) was the Skylark. I got it to about its maximum handling potential without taking all apart again to build it into a Corvette. The Corvette is all about suspension and learning how to make a car safe and fast.... which then will lead to the completion of the Spider and the Sledanette - one being an insane racecar and the other being the same.... one can turn, the other goes in straight lines....

probably when all this is said and done I'll get into steam engines or airplanes
                        Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; July 17, 2012, 04:00 PM.

Comment

• steam powered airplane? Now that would be cool!
                          Last edited by Russell; July 17, 2012, 04:03 PM.
                          http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                          1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                          ​​​​​​

Comment

• brief update:
                            Plastic bits - if I wait for the learning curve on making my own bushings, this won't ever get done.

take apart

Clean

Paint

Install

clear brakes

AND NEVER BUY ANYTHING FROM iROTOR.COM what a bunch of lying sacks

I'd be done if they'd sent rotors they claimed they had in stock two weeks ago. What causes the hate from me is they lied about sending it - and had I not asked them where my parts where - they'd still not have sent them.... oh yeah, and no apology, somehow it was my fault - not quite sure how they came up with that crap. They claim to have sent it yesterday - anyone want to lay odds on them not being right?

Comment

• I thought you were flipping this car?

Comment

• Originally posted by 68 Valiant View Post
                                I thought you were flipping this car?
                                they're always for sale. That said, my original thought was a less-than 5k build and sell it for 7500 or so.... now, I'm going to sell it as a fully sorted trackday car.... what changed was realizing what I could learn about suspensions doing this car

Comment

Working...
                                X