PB 60' 1.49
      ​​​​​​

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell View Post
        Wow! have you seen any judges lately?
        this morning - I did the spray at lunch
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Looks great! amazing amount of work in a short period of time.

Comment

• Man have you been busy. Looks great.

Comment

• Nice!!
              I'm still learning

Comment

• I know now why I shoulda stayed in school...
                Dang.. You just fly thru projects like a hot knife thru butter...
                Looks real good!
                Lunch break paint job! ... Damn!

Comment

• dents in a fiberglass hood that's a new one lol
                  Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
                  Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

• seriously - when do you sleep?
                    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

• Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                      seriously - when do you sleep?
                      now now, I'm still not done - it's just a shinier not done.

Running total on the car
                      Corvette
                      Purchase price $2500
                      Wheels/Tires $1150
                      Suspension $1200
                      Brakes $1150
                      Carpet $ 200
                      Roll cage $ 100
                      Paint/supplies $ 500
                      Exhaust $ 650 - nope $790
                      Engine $ 150
                      ______ _______
                      Total $7740

left to buy, windshield.

The rest of the stuff, radio (I have) but need speakers, emblems, misc other stuff I'll shop for at swap meets.
                      Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; August 14, 2012, 12:18 PM. Reason: fix a price (more expensive)

Comment

• so how do you like the summit paint? how does it compair to others?
                        http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                        1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                        ​​​​​​

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell View Post
                          so how do you like the summit paint? how does it compair to others?
                          I am NOT a pro, or even really think I've raised to the level of hack... but the paint went on okay - I made a mistake of not letting the car body warm up to 70* and having a crappy gun (more runs then a sailor with dysentary).... but, the paint was easy to mix, it looks good - although, the color needs to settle on its final form before I declare a success - last night it had a nice purple hue, this am, it seemed to have darkened a bit.... in short, ask me again in a week. In any case, I believe it was good value (comparable PPG was 4x more expensive).
                          Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; August 14, 2012, 12:17 PM.

Comment

• Runs or not, you get major bonus points (in my book) for the total DIY effort!

If I ever get a shop (and a budget) big enough to do what you do in your shop, I would love to attempt/ learn to do the things you do in your shop.

Comment

• Originally posted by yellomalibu View Post
                              Runs or not, you get major bonus points (in my book) for the total DIY effort!

If I ever get a shop (and a budget) big enough to do what you do in your shop, I would love to attempt/ learn to do the things you do in your shop.
                              my dad and I were talking about this stuff this morning, and he made a good point - the way to get the budget is to do it yourself. The paint job would have cost 800 in labor alone to have a shop do it. I could have been a bit smarter by renting a booth for 2 hours to paint it, but that still would have been $250.00..... plus, it's just a run or four - it's not rocket science shaving them down, color sanding, then buffing it back. Even if I pay someone to do it (not likely) it won't cost what the booth would have cost had I rented it myself....

also, when my dad was racing at Lyons, he painted his dragster (37 Chevrolet coupe) behind our house in, gasp, the great outdoors (granted, Lakewood California does not have the natural impediment of many places). he did the same thing when we moved to Oregon. It was 5 years after we got there before he actually had an indoor shop.... you struck a nerve because I get really tired of reading magazine articles, listening to "the experts" say it's impossible to do anything without a million dollars in shop equipment, or even having a "hired team" to build a car.

so, as the commercial says, just do it
                              Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; August 14, 2012, 03:02 PM.

Comment

• From here it looks great . When you painted it did you do the usual , drape the shop in plastic , big fan and filter at one end of the booth and wet the floor ? , tell us your secrets !

Comment

Working...
                                X