No announcement yet.

1975 Plastic fantastic aka Corvette

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've painted in a hay barn with plastic sheeting. I've painted in a junk bin, outside.

All you have to do is tell your paint supplier that you are painting in a dirty environment, pick a relatively fast drying single stage paint, and expect to address the runs and crap in the paint when you cut and buff.

I agree with SBG, its not rocket science. Yes, I'd like to have a perfectly controlled environment with a heated booth. But it isn't happening and I have to adapt to the conditions at hand.
    I'm still learning

Comment

• Originally posted by langleylad View Post
      From here it looks great . When you painted it did you do the usual , drape the shop in plastic , big fan and filter at one end of the booth and wet the floor ? , tell us your secrets !
      You saw the picture of the car just after it was painted..... that's it. Swept the area where I worked on the car the night before I painted, I turn a box fan on low to get air moving slowly out the door, set up halogen lights because the world is getting darker (or, and I say this just as a remote possiblity, I'm getting old and blind), and block the dogs from getting into the shop. No plastic draping, I did cover the Spider with plastic, but that was because I used it as a consumables-work-bench. I did keep myself from over the car because I do sweat, and painted gaps, dips, top to bottom. Next time, I'll not paint the gaps and dips - that was my biggest mistake because it gave me lots of runs..... I should have just gone normal paint stroke, and where the paint didn't cover from the side to side shooting, shoot that.

Bob, that's it exactly.
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
        this morning - I did the spray at lunch
        Anyone complaining you showing up to court covered in bondo dust or smelling of engine grease?
        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
          Anyone complaining you showing up to court covered in bondo dust or smelling of engine grease?
          nope

Comment

• It is not mentioned " in polite society"
            Last edited by Deaf Bob; August 14, 2012, 09:42 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
              It is not mentioned " in polite society"
              I don't know anyone in that society

or

put another way

they're more polite in a demo derby
              Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; August 14, 2012, 09:47 PM.

Comment

• [/PHP][/PHP]
                Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                I don't know anyone in that society

or

put another way

they're more polite in a demo derby
                Noooo. Not really... " What ya do for fun? .... Build and drive demo derby cars"
                Shuffle away backwards, grinning like fools...nodding... (wondering why they even bothered trying to talk to me) Folks are weird like that... Act like I'm "Jack the Ripper"

Comment

• Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                  [/PHP][/PHP]

Noooo. Not really... " What ya do for fun? .... Build and drive demo derby cars"
                  Shuffle away backwards, grinning like fools...nodding... (wondering why they even bothered trying to talk to me) Folks are weird like that... Act like I'm "Jack the Ripper"
                  yes, but do they back away telling you a lawyer joke? (are there derby jokes?)

Comment

yes, but do they back away telling you a lawyer joke? (are there derby jokes?)
                    Yeah.. We are all one suspender, coverall wearing, one toothed drunks.
                    One long time derby lady from McMinnville is a pharmacist. ( behind the counter type) and another in Montana is also one..

Suppose lawyers are generally universally disliked..
                    Wouldn't know... You are the only one I talk to..And ain't disliking you...

Comment

• I think I've decided, turbo 350 transmissions hate me. It all started when I learned to rebuild one, after that they seemed to break with astonishing frequency.

Did I ever mention I kept the ST-10 from the Buick? in completely unrelated news, know anyone who needs a freshly run t350 all of the gears are there most of the time.

Comment

• I started with this in March

and I have this today
                        Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; August 16, 2012, 03:52 PM. Reason: better after picture

Comment

• sidepipes soon ?

Comment

• yes, and 4 speed. The pipes are being ceramic coated (hopefully) as we speak (in titanium color). I'm supposed to pick them up monday. The 4 speed will be a september or winter project, I figured out the issue with the shifting - so it can wait a bit.

Comment

• Sure looks nice... And garage painted too!
                              Too many vettes are autos. Need a good 4 speed manual in there and driven "properly"
                              Gonna park the rear end problem car now?

Comment

I started with this in March

and I have this today
                                wow. You now can get a job as a male stripper now that you have the right car. Haha.
                                BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X