1975 Plastic fantastic aka Corvette

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the cut apart box

and while I was down there (had to measure something)
    I put the tank up to see how it fits

Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; October 25, 2012, 09:50 PM.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• The whole car looks great.
      I modified the blower box on my Ranger in a similar fashion.
      1997 Ranger 5.0L HO, GT40 heads/tubular intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, B303, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster mufflers, T5 trans, Tri-Ax shifter, CenterForce Dual Friction clutch, 8.8 Traction Lok 3.55 gears, Cobra 13" front brakes, Cobra 11.65" rear discs.
      1997 Mustang GT
      sigpic

Comment

• I always wanted a race car type of fuel filler door like the Vettes, Chargers, Cobras, etc for my Impala. But there isn't quite enough flat area on the tops of the quarters for one. Mainly, the filler neck behind the rear plate really sucks with the new gas pump nozzles.
        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• Does yours have the bracket that holds it down? Mine doesn't and on the upgrade list.
          Si vis pacem, para bellum

Comment

• Originally posted by Teddyzee View Post
            The whole car looks great.
            I modified the blower box on my Ranger in a similar fashion.
            Ditto with the Chevelle. I did it only for ease of working on the engine and to clean up the appearance a little. Foolishly, one of the first things I did when I bought my chevelle was to ditch the A/C... which was still charged at the time. *shakes head*

We don't need a de-froster here so much as a de-fogger, but mostly I did it for the heater. I like having a heater in a car on those two days a year we need it... AND it's an auxillary radiator for the engine if the temp gets out of hand.

P.S. Nice fit on the gas tank/ fuel cell.
            Last edited by yellomalibu; October 27, 2012, 05:02 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
              I always wanted a race car type of fuel filler door like the Vettes, Chargers, Cobras, etc for my Impala. But there isn't quite enough flat area on the tops of the quarters for one. Mainly, the filler neck behind the rear plate really sucks with the new gas pump nozzles.
              I know this story well, filling the tank on the Skylark was an effort in contortion - hold the door open, pull the cap, all while holding the nozzle. Eventually I took part of the spring off so I could jam the cap to hold the door open.

Originally posted by kyhunter89 View Post
              Does yours have the bracket that holds it down? Mine doesn't and on the upgrade list.
              I presume you're talking fuel cap - yep, it's got a spun aluminum part that bolts to the flange

Comment

• New gas nozzles? 18+ years ago when I lived out there, the nozzles with the vapor return crap were a pain! Is there something newer that's even worse?
                Last edited by yellomalibu; October 27, 2012, 08:31 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by yellomalibu View Post
                  New gas nozzles? 18+ years ago when I lived out there, the nozzles with the vapor return crap were a pain! Is there something newer that's even worse?
                  Just vapor return covers that are bigger and harder to manipulate. Also, most gas stations are too cheap to replace the vapor return filters which makes it even more difficult to fill up cause you can't hold the nozzle open without it kicking off constantly.
                  BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
                    Just vapor return covers that are bigger and harder to manipulate. Also, most gas stations are too cheap to replace the vapor return filters which makes it even more difficult to fill up cause you can't hold the nozzle open without it kicking off constantly.
                    In Washington state, they just revoked the law that requires those covers - they say the new car's vapor recovery system makes those vapor systems redundant

Comment

• worked a bit tonight
                      reminder - filling in the blank

I think I'll tack weld it in place, then fiberglass the holes and over the top.

The reason it's metal is I have devices to mount to the cover (fuel injection)

Comment

• and the hood scoop came in

I think I'm going to narrow it, straighten the sides, lengthen it and leave it on top - then build an air box to seal the underhood from the air cleaner....

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                          and the hood scoop came in

I think I'm going to narrow it, straighten the sides, lengthen it and leave it on top - then build an air box to seal the underhood from the air cleaner....
                          And your next project came in too..
                          How does it run/drive?

Comment

• Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                            And your next project came in too..
                            How does it run/drive?
                            Ah yes, was going to post that one up.... look for SAR 3

Comment

• and work was done on the Corvette
                              finished here last night

a bit of shaping this morning

1st round of fiberglass

2nd round

worked on the tank drilled a few holes, added the pickup

baffles

I have yet to cut the filler hole, but here's the top

Comment

• More work
                                Where I finished last night... for the sharp eye'd folks you'll notice there is an extra fitting - it's 1/2" for "just in case" I need a 1/2" supply line....

a fill inlet

test fit the side... important note - do make sure when you have a piece with non-parallel sides that you put the correct end up

no reason to mention that... though if you do, there's a reason why there's tiny tacks - makes it easier to knock apart

suddenly the tank was laying flat again... funny, that

there it is, all finished by the brackets and the finishing (oh and the pressure test for leaks

and then worked on the heater box by cleaning up the edges

test fit

paint

Comment

Working...
                                X