No announcement yet.

1975 Plastic fantastic aka Corvette

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just a thought-is there a flexible coupling between the tank and the filler? I would be concerned about the deck cracking when things move around.

I like the scoop. Inspiring work.

Comment

• it is connected via a rubber, reinforced, fuel-line approved hose.
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• well, I think I can finally at least get it on the ground. I still have to fix one little thing; but other than that (the ignition switch "off" position still leaves the fuel pump on.... and the computer on...

anyway
        tonight's work was putting in a few suspension bits
        these are notoriously weak - you can even see the bend in the tie rod

to the rear
        these are notorious for bending, clanking, and tearing up poly bushings.

add to this one that the inner bushing seems to be the wrong size, and it would explain some quirky handling (I hope)
        of course, it never comes apart easily

Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; November 7, 2012, 09:23 PM.

Comment

• Hood scoop
          I finally decided on a C4(ish) hood scoop - adds about 1 1/2 " of cowl space without completely blocking the window... so - time to install

Measure, the centerline is absolutely the most important thing you can find
          When you have complex shapes, finding the center can be a challenge - sometimes you have to come up with a tool to measure...

what seems to be the center, isn't

center mark the hood

(incidently, this will cure the a$$ and foot marks in the hood - woohoo)
          using a calibrated eyeball, I penciled out where the first cuts would be

as an aside, I used blue tape because this is a porous fiberglass scoop - if I marked it with anything, it'll suck into the scoop and bleed through when I paint it
          and cut

out come the zip screws, and down goes the scoop

looks good, and most importantly it's centered and the horizon is the same on all points

no going back now

I briefly thought of plexiglass in the hole, but no, only hemis look good under glass

so it's cut small, time to trim

took a break and eyeballed what the cold air will look like

looks the same as above, no? actually, no, the scoop is now screwed down where it belongs

side view

I'm certainly no Dulcich, but I like how it's turning out.... of course, this was the easy part - making it solid is going to be a bit more difficult.... except I'm going to try something a bit new(er), and epoxy a lip to the hood, then epoxy the scoop to the hood. Once that sets up, I'll fill the gap with resin then bondo the top.....

Comment

• Epoxy is your friend! No more polyester resin garbage.

Well done as usual - you indeed have no fear.
            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

• yes, but which epoxy?

I'll be hacking fiberglass for awhile (and yes, wore a mask)...

the problem

after grinding.. and note, where the grinding goes to the outside is a crack that needs repair

epoxy some pieces to hold the front level

and a couple more down the sides

now I know why the heater wasn't warming, there was a bad smell, and where the heater control line is

so an hour later, the epoxy (5 minute) still wasn't dry so desperate measures were employed

also did a bit of work laying out the cold air intake
              I'm relatively certain this stuff came from a Corvette top end I bought awhile ago

and I think it'll work just fine on the early generation (with a bit of trimming)

so remember the top-rail fix? I'll be cutting it competely out to do this

Comment

• I've been wondering why you still have the air intake that is no longer connected to the air cleaner.
                BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• Just the opposite, that air intake came from a C4; I'm probably going to use it on my car so I'll either eliminate or box the current air cleaner (if eliminate, I'll use Corvette air filters)
                  Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; November 12, 2012, 11:58 PM.

Comment

• your installing your scoop exactly how I installed mine, with the tabs on the underside. I used JB weld...it worked well...then I glassed over them...it aint perfect but it is functional.
                    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

• You know, I was bummed when the Skylark left home, but I have come to really like this project. The car will never be a collectors item with a 100 point NCRS restoration, there are plenty of those. It is a fun project car that gets driven, improved, broken, fixed and driven some more. I approve...for whatever that is worth.

Comment

• Originally posted by mopar57 View Post
                        You know, I was bummed when the Skylark left home, but I have come to really like this project. The car will never be a collectors item with a 100 point NCRS restoration, there are plenty of those. It is a fun project car that gets driven, improved, broken, fixed and driven some more. I approve...for whatever that is worth.
                        it's worth a lot... thanks

Sunday it was doing something the Skylark could never do - be driven in the rain. The Skylark had a leak just above the driver's seat at the windshield, and the wipers didn't work. Add 3.73 gears, wide tires and a stick and that car spent as much time driving backwards as it went forwards in the rain....

NCRS - Not Correctly Restored Society I get plenty of grief on CorvetteForum (to the point I don't bother posting the project there) for what I'm doing.... still, no takers on my response - you can buy the car then do whatever you wish with it
                        Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; November 13, 2012, 10:04 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post
                          your installing your scoop exactly how I installed mine, with the tabs on the underside. I used JB weld...it worked well...then I glassed over them...it aint perfect but it is functional.
                          I'm going to go get some bed-side bonding epoxy to glue it down at the braces and at the tabs.... figure if you can glue a chevy truck pickup side on with it, it should hold a 12 lb fiberglass scoop.

oh yeah, and let me (again) profess my love for Amazon Prime.... cost 3.99 to have it next day air'd to my house why next day? because it only cost 3.99

Comment

• I was looking for that boding agent but I never really put forth much effort, the need to get the car running and driving cause me to do what I had to with what I had over a weekend. I think that epoxy will be perfect.

The only issue I had really was having to tweak the brackets a bit here and there to get the scoop to sit level with the hood.
                            If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

• Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post
                              I was looking for that boding agent but I never really put forth much effort, the need to get the car running and driving cause me to do what I had to with what I had over a weekend. I think that epoxy will be perfect.

The only issue I had really was having to tweak the brackets a bit here and there to get the scoop to sit level with the hood.
                              Auto body supply stores have them and well-stocked NAPAs

I'm sure yours will be fine - and I used tabs for the same reason, their only purpose is to hold the scoop level while I glue, then glass into place.

Comment

• the ammout of body filler I had to use was surprisingly small once I layed the glass down over top of it and smoothed it...you would think I knew what I was doing when you look at it

Comment

Working...
                                X