No announcement yet.

1975 Plastic fantastic aka Corvette

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Started on the BMW tonight.... EDS sent the wrong lower control arms.... so at least the brakes are done. And that one's on the back burner, so fix Rescue Rig (and figure out the miss in the Corvette)

but pictures

Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• The Vette is looking awesome , good work my friend ! .

Comment

• That car came out nice. Glad you get to enjoy the fruits of your labor. How is now compared to driving it with the auto?
        Bakersfield, CA.

Comment

• sure has come a long ways - I sure hope that is not the signature SBC marking it's territory?
          Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Beagle View Post
            sure has come a long ways - I sure hope that is not the signature SBC marking it's territory?
            oil leak from the drain plug (stupid cheap chinese pan - and by cheap, I mean it came with the motor)
            water under the car from driving it in the rain

Cant
            I love the 4 speed, I do have more adjusting work to do, and the booster seems to have an issue - maybe a better way of saying - the issue is worse now... so I'm waiting on a 7" dual diaphragm booster that should cure all that ills it.
            still, it's within 8 hours of done - fix a miss that seems to be developing, and build the center console.... I only have about 6 months to do it

Comment

• Nice job. Looks great.
              I'm still learning

Comment

• back to the c'vette tonight

I wondered why this thing wasn't running well (especially when cold).... well, if you're using plugs you bought for a blower motor that are 3 settings colder - perhaps that might be the issue?

yeah, I used accel plugs - they were free and they were in my shop....
                while I was at it...
                I changed the rocker arms

to a 1.6 ratio

maybe I should change the cap and coil to a higher power/better quality? .... I have all the bits on the Buick motor on the bench.... might as well, eh?

next up - cold air/air cleaner

stainless or aluminum?

Comment

• Valve covers fit? ...
                  By all means. Change the coil... Hotter spark helps...

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                    back to the c'vette tonight

I wondered why this thing wasn't running well (especially when cold).... well, if you're using plugs you bought for a blower motor that are 3 settings colder - perhaps that might be the issue?
                    Looks like the gap was a little off, too... about double the gap it needs, by the look of it.

Comment

• Those Accel plugs just plain suck for the price they charge. Dont last and foul easily.
                      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
                        Those Accel plugs just plain suck for the price they charge. Dont last and foul easily.
                        I have 20 of them, and they were free ... and they were on my shelf, rather than me running to the auto parts store 10 miles away

anyway, on with clutch work
                        the problem, the throwout bearing isn't moving far enough to fully disengage the clutch.
                        solution
                        replace the master cylinder - and while I'm at it, fix a leak (ug)
                        see where the red hose goes into the master cylinder? it leaked there

much better, and with a clamp

I also found what's probably a problem - the booster rattles, and it doesn't work very well.... bet it came from me clearancing it for the clutch master cylinder? naw, err... probably, but it didn't work well before - granted, pounding on it made it work worse.... but still, trifles

I'm waiting for a 7" dual diaphram, should be here just after the next boat from China arrives

while I'm waiting

a bit of cardboard fab.... I figure I'll let the ideas gel until Sunday, then make it out of a more durable metal. The air filter is from an 09 Jetta.

Comment

• and more durable metal

you can see where I'm drawing cold air from

the raw edge will have rubber to seal it to the hood

stopped here

tomorrow, radii the corners, finish the edges and polish it.... then put the sticker on it

Comment

• I don't think you have enough filter.

K&N calculations for filter size:

1. Square inches of filter required for a motor = CID x Maximum RPM / 20839

2. CFM required for a 4 stroke motor = CID x Maximum RPM / 3456

3. CFM required for a 2 stroke motor = CID x Maximum RPM / 1728

4. CFM required for a turbocharged or supercharged motor = Pounds of Boost / 14.7

Add 1.0 to this answer. This relates to #2 and #3

Example: (CID x maximum RPM x #4 ) / 3456 or 1728

5. To find circumference of a circle multiply diameter by 3.1416

6. To find diameter of a circle multiply circumference by .31831

CFM Formulas for Filters

Round: Diameter x Height x 6 x 3.14
                            Flat Panel: Length x Width x 6
                            Universal Round Taper: (Base + Top) / 2 = A
                            Take A x Length x 6 x 3.14
                            Universal Round Straight: Diameter x Length x 6 x 3.14
                            I'm still learning

Comment

• 350 x 6200/ 20839 = 104.13 = 10.2 x 10.2 square

The filter is 6 x 18 = 108 square inches or 10.4 x 10.4

Comment

• I stand corrected. It appears that you are over-filtered.
                                I'm still learning

Comment

Working...
                                X