1975 Plastic fantastic aka Corvette

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bob Holmes View Post
    I stand corrected. It appears that you are over-filtered.
    I appreciate the calculations - as I said elsewhere, my scientific method was to measure a stock car then use that number to find an appropriate filter. I do wonder at those calculations because one of intial ideas was to modify a stock, cold-air box from a 89 Corvette - and where it necks through the core support is tiny (1"x24"ish)....

but then again, I ask stupid questions (according to chad) like "why not square exhaust?" so, like my folger addiction, take all with a grain or two of salt
    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; December 10, 2012, 11:01 AM.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Booster arrived tonight
      and it fits perfect - it's a universal fit, so that was a pleasant surprise

compare to old one

it clears without beating

forgot to take one picture, I had to make a spacer so the rod engaged the brake piston
      but it fits well

and despite my crappy welds, the box looks fine

Comment

• Where is the rain water going to go? Did you put any drains in that housing? I know the cowl covers it and runs back over the windshield, but water does funny things.
        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

• Originally posted by milner351 View Post
          Where is the rain water going to go? Did you put any drains in that housing? I know the cowl covers it and runs back over the windshield, but water does funny things.
          I'm not picturing the issue - so please explain more?

the air travels to the base of the windshield and pressurizes the cowl box the air has two paths there - one to the cabin, the other up and back into the motor. There is a rubber seal at the painted firewall bulkhead, the air itself must travel back forward, up and into the opening under the scoop, forward 8 or so inches, then down to the air filter. There is no way for the water to stay in suspension (save going into a river, then I'll have other issues) as it makes the S into the motor. The box is not (yet) sealed to the cowl, but even if it could....

I'm sorry, I'm pretty tired this morning, so I'm having trouble seeing what you and Bob are seeing.

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
            I'm sorry, I'm pretty tired this morning, so I'm having trouble seeing what you and Bob are seeing.
            Hey, I'm not in the middle of this...
            I'm still learning

Comment

Hey, I'm not in the middle of this...
              I didn't realize we needed your permission to put you in the middle of this sorry, can we put you in the middle of this, Bob?

Comment

• Well, since you asked...
                I'm still learning

Comment

• Hey, even if a tiny bit of water ever got in, it sure wont hurt the way the engine runs! I've been driving in some pretty good downpours with an open front Hilborn scoop, and my engine loves the extra moisture!

Comment

Well, since you asked...
                    betcha didn't see that one comin'
                    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; December 11, 2012, 08:20 PM.

Comment

• Hmmmm... I may have found the idling/misfire problem

fixed

I do need to replace several boots, and was planning on a rewire tonight... but somehow I managed to order straight boots rather than 90*.... ah well, blizzard tonight, probably not Corvette driving weather tomorrow.

Comment

• I could go for a Blizzard tonight... but somehow I don't think you're talking about the ice cream / milk shake treat at Dairy Queen.

Comment

• Originally posted by yellomalibu View Post
                          I could go for a Blizzard tonight... but somehow I don't think you're talking about the ice cream / milk shake treat at Dairy Queen.
                          ya know, rubbing in that it'll be all the way down to 60 degrees and sunny in Florida makes me think this:

Comment

• so, I took full advantage of the rumor that there is a sun above the clouds and drove the beastie today.... fun stuff, but I really need to fix the unload/throw it sideways problem..... I thought for sure I was going to toss it into a ditch today - in other words, hoon happened, and happened a lot

and Bob

I really have a question - this car, when it unloads on rollers (or whoops) will pitch to the right. Today I was cooking, and a bit faster than normal (80ish) and I seriously wondered if I'd get it straightened out before I ditched it.... I did, but I need to figure out what is going on.

When the rear unloads, it pitches to the right. Everything under the car is new except the rear diff and the trailing arm bushings (planning on fixing those with the gerstrand upgrade)

thoughts? what would cause the rear to go one direction or the other? I've never had this problem with the 76 I had before, but I also never had this kind of roller - so I dunno if it's just part of the breed or something is wrong
                            Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; December 24, 2012, 12:35 AM.

Comment

• are you saying when it unloads the rear end and spins, the rear end goes to the right? My junk with a functional posi or traction lok has always done that. Right side is biased? Put a spool in it? Then it won't handle worth a crap in either direction...
                              Last edited by Beagle; December 24, 2012, 06:37 AM.
                              Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• Sudden and abrupt changes in direction are usually a symptom of either...something is broken, or something is bottoming out or extending to its limit.

You can also get self-steering if your trailing arm bushings are crap. Not a good thing unless you are setting it up to do that.
                                I'm still learning

Comment

Working...
                                X