X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• got them off
    turns out the best way on the driver's side was to weld on a pry point

round 2

winner - I made a hammer puller die to grab the shims....
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Thats crazy with all them shims. Dig the puller.

Comment

• they spread the pocket a bit to put the shims in, because it could be fatal if the bushing turned on the bolt rather than in the bushing. There are downsides to that set up, but at least dying from a trailing arm coming completely off is much reduced

I'm still amazed at how much work that Bob Holmes guy is making me do - replace every bit of the suspension was what he said - it was fine before he said anything

Comment

• all this will be replaced with spherical rod ends?
          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
            they spread the pocket a bit to put the shims in, because it could be fatal if the bushing turned on the bolt rather than in the bushing. There are downsides to that set up, but at least dying from a trailing arm coming completely off is much reduced

I'm still amazed at how much work that Bob Holmes guy is making me do - replace every bit of the suspension was what he said - it was fine before he said anything

I'm still learning

Comment

• Originally posted by milner351 View Post
              all this will be replaced with spherical rod ends?
              yes, some spherical, some johnny joints - which a spherical on steroids (but since I'm a bicyclist, steroids are okay)

Originally posted by Bob Holmes View Post
              you are an expensive friend to have

Comment

• Only to the extent that you have to keep paying those life insurance premiums.
                I'm still learning

Comment

• Originally posted by Bob Holmes View Post
                  Only to the extent that you have to keep paying those life insurance premiums.
                  Life insurance? why give someone more reasons to celebrate my death?
                  Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; January 18, 2013, 03:59 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                    Life insurance? why give someone more reasons to celebrate my death?
                    It's to pay off the bar tab from bangshifters celebrating your life!!
                    Patrick & Tammy
                    - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
                      It's to pay off the bar tab from bangshifters celebrating your life!!
                      Nicely done there.
                      I'm still learning

Comment

• So I've kind of been waiting for parts, but got some stuff done....

it leaked, twice... hopefully this time it's fixed (where the reservoir attaches to the mount)

don't get me started on how much of a PITA it is to remove these things

fix some mounting holes

remove the quiet, yet highly restrictive mufflers

install max flows (things will be louder)

inside shot

also tested my new blast cabinet

Comment

• a bit more tonight
                          Van Steel trailing arms.... saved 100 by installing johnny joints myself (requires some modification to the arm)

I'm also going to install upper mounts for an upper control arm and eliminate the driveshafts as suspension components

I'm a big fan of not burning.... so I wrapped the new mufflers

sharp eyes will notice a zip tie holding the wrap in place. Yes, it's that good - the plastic won't melt (melts at 400*)

Comment

• Looking Great! never thought of the zipties...always figured they would stretch under heat, eventually breaking down, like in the electrical world...
                            Patrick & Tammy
                            - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
                              Looking Great! never thought of the zipties...always figured they would stretch under heat, eventually breaking down, like in the electrical world...
                              it only has to hold it together long enough to get into the tube

Comment

• I had such great plans today - get the Corvette on the ground.... had a slight break going to rescue some overdue snowmobilers - so I didn't quite get done what I wanted... ah well

need to remove the tube

to install this

a bit of work and it fits

round 2

a bit of welding

a bit of creative engineering, (yes, the bolt goes through my welding bench) to get the snap ring back on

and drill and tap for a zerk fitting to put the fitting where I can actually get a grease gun

also got the rear differential back in (for now)

Comment

Working...
                                X