Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• more progress

by far the easiest way to get these things together

temperature for POR 15 is +40 degrees.... my shop is 30 degrees, so hopefully it doesn't burn the paint too badly

this is for you, Bob, note the lack of a cotter pin in the nut? that's the way it was on the car

bright side is the bearings may be relatively new, so I'll simply replace the seals and call it a day
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Man I'm looking at all these pictures, and all I could think was...

I wish I had a woodstove in my garage.

I'm still learning

Comment

• Originally posted by Bob Holmes View Post
        Man I'm looking at all these pictures, and all I could think was...

I wish I had a woodstove in my garage.

how else would you get rid of used, motor oil?

Comment

• Senior Welsch would be proud.
          Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• and MidAmerica and/or Ecklers is getting richer
            So I checked the runout on the rear bearings.... which was a waste of time

what this picture doesn't show you is that I took the nut off without needing to loosen it - what you can see in the picture is my next Corvette purchase..... who knew that blanching could make curves

until I bought this car, it was stone stock - and I suspect this happened before I bought it

also notice the nice rust color.... strangely the bearings were neither noisy nor crunchy

while the passenger side spindle dropped out (literally), the driver's side took a bit more convincing (20lbs of convincing)

picture of how the brake shoes go together.... thinking I might need to replace these

Comment

• Eeeewwwwwww
              There's always something new to learn.

Comment

• Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                Eeeewwwwwww
                What he said.

I still think this beast spent some time up to its ..... in water.
                I'm still learning

Comment

What he said.

I still think this beast spent some time up to its ..... in water.
                  merely a flesh wound..... come back you stinking english dog! I'll bite on on the ankle!!!!

underwater, I'm pretty sure, but only the right side? and why are the cotter keys missing? I think the water story is probable, but I don't think it's all the story. After all, much of the stuff on this Corvette is 1977 rather than 75. Even if it was underwater, why would one side drop out and the other side require a 20# sledgehammer to remove? Also, if it were underwater, why isn't there silt in the boxed frame? or why isn't the frame rusting from the inside out (very common on these cars)?

I had a Toyota Landcruiser that was underwater - and while this car bears signs like that Landcruiser, it is missing key bits things that should be present to have been underwater (silt everywhere is one of those things). An example would be the heater core - it'd never been removed prior to my modifications and if it were underwater, there would have been silt in the bottom of the box....

Ah well, everything under the car is new and upgraded to far better than new... and strangely, I'll likely make a profit on the car when I do actually sell it (granted, $400 less than before, but still a profit).
                  Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; January 30, 2013, 10:41 AM.

Comment

• Sell? after all this work? you must be joking - besides - this is supposed to be your "track day car" have you been to a track day yet?

Comment

• Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                      Sell? after all this work? you must be joking - besides - this is supposed to be your "track day car" have you been to a track day yet?

given the condition of the spindle, I think whether or not this car has been to a track is a self-answering question...

no, but keeping an idea of what the car is worth minus the amount spent on parts (labor is free, of course) is a valid yardstick for my world.

and I'm going to say it again... damn, Bob, you're an expensive friend
                      Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; January 30, 2013, 11:31 AM.

Comment

• Agreed - I'm frugal - I hate having more into something than I think I can get out of it. I guess I always think of projects from that perspective - and why I can never see buying something like a 4 digit march pulley system.

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                          I'm going to say it again... damn, Bob, you're an expensive friend
                          Depends on the value you place on your life...sort of like Milner and that damn rollcage.
                          I'm still learning

Comment

Depends on the value you place on your life...sort of like Milner and that damn rollcage.
                            In Philidelphia, it's worth 50 bucks...

j/k John, spend more than 50.00 on your Roll cage.

it'd probably show water line marks in the doors too ?
                            Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• nope, I have had the doors apart too

Comment

• Man, is this taking me forever... but I don't have all the parts (missing shims), so it won't be together until next week at the earliest
                                got some parts

and pressed in studs

this is the bad side - maybe it can be seen - the race has waves in it (friendly little chap, ain't it?)

this picture is to remind me what side the "wide" race came out of

all the other parts cleaned and POR15'd

Comment

Working...
                                X