X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• this car is loud, fast, manual everything and obnoxious
    The really fun cars usually are.

Comment

• I just want to clarify for my little mind............ is most of the improvement due to the heim joint added to the pivot point of the arm where it attachs to the frame?

Letting the arm articulate and not have to twist or resist twisting?
      Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• Originally posted by STINEY View Post
        I just want to clarify for my little mind............ is most of the improvement due to the heim joint added to the pivot point of the arm where it attachs to the frame?

Letting the arm articulate and not have to twist or resist twisting?
        most of the improvement is from better control of the point where the trailing arm attaches to the frame

I'm not sure what you're asking in the 2nd question.... I've removed the unpredictability of the joint by allowing it to freely move in specific directions.
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• That was what I was asking. And what I suspected.

Thanks for clarification, and congrats on improving the YeeHaa factor!

I am seriously considering hopping a plane and coming out for a ride.

Comment

• Most of the improvement is due to the removal of shitty old parts and replacing them with shiney new parts.
            I'm still learning

Comment

• Originally posted by Bob Holmes View Post
              Most of the improvement is due to the removal of shitty old parts and replacing them with shiney new parts - that function as the original designers intended before the number-crunchers did their thing and neutered things.
              Bob, would this be a fair addition to your statement?

Comment

• Originally posted by STINEY View Post
                Bob, would this be a fair addition to your statement?
                Far be it for me to divine the maker's original intent.
                I'm still learning

Comment

• Originally posted by Bob Holmes View Post
                  Far be it for me to divine the maker's original intent.
                  I've been on committees - I'm not sure I'd ever accuse them of having intent (or intention), planning, or even reason. Still, I've driven a very low mile 74 454 Corvette (with manual steering), and from my impression - they handled like crap from the factory.

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                    it does, but it may make for nervous passengers as I can carry a LOT more speed into corners in short, I traded a death wobble for knocking knees (seems like a good trade IMO)

and let me say this .... this car is loud, fast, manual everything and obnoxious - I nailed it
                    Sounds like a derby car to me... Except the speed into corners thing

Comment

• fabulously fantastic, amazing what can happen when the cheap parts the number crunchers required are replace with the good stuff the engineers wanted in the first place.

now - get a gopro camera - focus it on the passenger seat - and take your wife for a ride through your favorite set of twisties - I dare say - that would be EPIC
                      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

• Not sure you'd want that incriminating evidence for the divorce attorney.
                        I'm still learning

Comment

• Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                          fabulously fantastic, amazing what can happen when the cheap parts the number crunchers required are replace with the good stuff the engineers wanted in the first place.

now - get a gopro camera - focus it on the passenger seat - and take your wife for a ride through your favorite set of twisties - I dare say - that would be EPIC
                          the prevailing theory is this is a family-safe site... and I'm certain the words my beautiful wife would utter would be anything but family safe.

Comment

• well, continued with the finish-it-up list

to remind, here is the rear end before, note the driveshafts go down to the wheels?

now - much better

the theory being, with the driveshafts as the upper control arm, you want them to pull in and the bottom to push out (more camber) in a corner.... now it'll finally do so correctly.... sad thing, I've no idea how I managed to get it lower - car sits at the same ride height

and the interior... new steering wheel, and now full dash lights (special, huh?)

I just need to find a new brake console (will check with friend tomorrow).... finally down to the last little bit list

Comment

• You can get that stuff new, aftermarket. A 1980 I work on has gotten new console bits.
                              BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
                                You can get that stuff new, aftermarket. A 1980 I work on has gotten new console bits.
                                you are correct, Mid America and Ecklers are two great suppliers (there are also really bad ones like Corvette South)... but the friend, Kirkland Classic Cars, has an attic full of parts - and if he has it, the cost is 30% of new retail for first condition parts.

Comment

Working...
                                X