1975 Plastic fantastic aka Corvette

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by NewEnglandRaceFan View Post
    like your plan.. would a 396 be better with smaller pistons?
    427 gets me bigger valves and better flow.... plus, it's a lot easier to find 427/454 blocks than 396 blocks.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• 427's with their shorter stroke always revved better than the longer stroke 454's. There is a reason no racing team, road or circle, built 454's, ever.
      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
        427's with their shorter stroke always revved better than the longer stroke 454's. There is a reason no racing team, road or circle, built 454's, ever.
        there are people IRL who keep giving me grief about not going to a 496 - figured there might be question on the interweb too.

Comment

• So last night, I fixed (I hope) the Corvette's leaks. I didn't fire it up because I had two dogs in my shop that looked so peaceful sleeping next to the woodstove that I figured I'd just do it later.... I must be going soft.

Comment

• I like the idea of a 7 liter build, any staggered injector stacks in the future?

I remember them on the Lolas in the 70's
            Last edited by silver_bullet; December 6, 2013, 05:57 PM.
            Patrick & Tammy
            - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• no.... simplicity - the EFI goes away and a big, knuckle dragging carb goes on top.

though I might cave and go with power steering.... there's an issue in real life which may quickly make manual steering something I can no longer do.

Comment

• Sounds like rotator cuff stuff......wish I didn't have the experience to guess at that one.....
                Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                  no.... simplicity - the EFI goes away and a big, knuckle dragging carb goes on top.

though I might cave and go with power steering.... there's an issue in real life which may quickly make manual steering something I can no longer do.
                  I put up with questionable power steering that didn't work too good below 1500 rpm until I put in the four speed. I didn't want to fight the steering with one arm and the shifter with the other.
                  BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by STINEY View Post
                    Sounds like rotator cuff stuff......wish I didn't have the experience to guess at that one.....
                    look up syrinx

apparently the car/me conflict a year ago has residual effects.

Comment

• so parts started arriving... I hate the urethane nose, it's wavy and, despite being flexible, doesn't line up with the car... the plan is pretty ambitious.
                      Replace the headlights with HID lights, change the vacuum actuators to electric push/pull actuators, the replace the nose so that air comes through those front grills - then get rid of the bottom breathing by blocking the holes and putting a better spoiler under to keep air out from under the car. Part of the airflow plan involves removing the license plate and replacing it with a grill. Obviously the bumpers will be gone, saving me another 20 or so lbs.
                      fiberglass nose

issue with the poly nose

Comment

• Ok, I know I should, but I'm lazy and don't want to go through 144 pages...Have you corner weighted the car?
                        I'm still learning

Comment

• Originally posted by Bob Holmes View Post
                          Ok, I know I should, but I'm lazy and don't want to go through 144 pages...Have you corner weighted the car?
                          who cares, adding weight where you WANT it, is always better than non movable weight..

as for the air under the car/bottom breather.
                          I'd look at the 81 car, and maybe keep it bottom breather with a bigger air foil to keep air from going under the car, other than to get to the radiator , and use the side gills in fenders to let the air from under the hood.. as the air going down car sides will help suck the air out of under hood..
                          look at nascar (I know many here hate the sport) but they gain tons of speed when they add tape to the nose "grills" I'd leave the vettes grill less cone as is.. and manage the air undercar to only get to the heat exchanger or around to the side.. as with the body style you'll never get the leading nose edge low enough to limit the air that gets from tip of nose to the beginning of the front tires anyways.. not without a cattle mover added to the nose cone..
                          Last edited by NewEnglandRaceFan; December 11, 2013, 05:16 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bob Holmes View Post
                            Ok, I know I should, but I'm lazy and don't want to go through 144 pages...Have you corner weighted the car?
                            no, but I did weigh it - 3100 lbs 52/48 front/rear

Originally posted by NewEnglandRaceFan View Post
                            who cares, adding weight where you WANT it, is always better than non movable weight..

as for the air under the car/bottom breather.
                            I'd look at the 81 car, and maybe keep it bottom breather with a bigger air foil to keep air from going under the car, other than to get to the radiator , and use the side gills in fenders to let the air from under the hood.. as the air going down car sides will help suck the air out of under hood..
                            look at nascar (I know many here hate the sport) but they gain tons of speed when they add tape to the nose "grills" I'd leave the vettes grill less cone as is.. and manage the air undercar to only get to the heat exchanger or around to the side.. as with the body style you'll never get the leading nose edge low enough to limit the air that gets from tip of nose to the beginning of the front tires anyways.. not without a cattle mover added to the nose cone..
                            the issue is lift, not cooling. It's easier to control the amount of air into the car when it's not lifting the front end off the ground at speed (120 mph it really starts getting interesting)

the side grills are open already as is the cowl vent

one of the reasons I'm doing it this way is aesthetics - I don't want an 80-81 nose, I want to keep the 75 nose, and put an air dam in the stock location to keep air out from under the car.
                            Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; December 11, 2013, 08:03 AM.

Comment

• I'm going to put this here... only her shadow remains
                              RIP Rue

Comment

• last night she started coughing up blood.... it was inhumane to wait

I always said I want the patience of Rue. Job had nothing on her... but her spirit lives on in our other dogs

Comment

Working...
                                X