My Rampage... Cruiser/Drag Week Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Russell View Post
    I have some wet sanding to do soon. What type of block / paper do you use?
    hijack - when I was doing the body work on the C10, I only had pieces of wood and a rolled up flexible plastic cutting board for curved areas. The results come from the time, technique, and finesse you can put into it more than the professional equipment you may have.
    /hijack

Comment

My wife does not have a flexible cutting board. Can you take a picture? Did you just use the 8x10 sheets of paper and cut them down?
      http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
      1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
      ​​​​​​

Comment

I've used rubber blocks for flat areas and a section of radiator hose works well on the compound curves,,,just don't sand through!!
        Patrick & Tammy
        - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
          My wife does not have a flexible cutting board. Can you take a picture? Did you just use the 8x10 sheets of paper and cut them down?
          I got a 3 pack of these several years back... never had a use for them in the kitchen, so I rolled one up and taped the seam to form a forgiving cylinder for the inside curve areas. Since light pressure is all that's needed when blocking, it worked pretty well.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Holmes View Post
            Tape up your fingers. That way you'll still have fingerprints when you're done.
            I have to feel with my fingers to see if its smooth so I wont tape them...
            I dont wear gloves either

To the question on what I use to sand... anything that has the radius(if
            on a curve... but on flat areas I use a 12" semi rigid sanding board...
            shorter ones if needed... I have a whole selection of sanding tools..
            for wet sanding ut a little dish soap in your bucket of water.. it acts
            like a lube... it has to be wet/dry paper... for final wet sanding I dont
            bother going past 2000 grit
            EDIT
            If you are gonna clear it I always reduce each coat of clear with 10%
            thinner/reducer so it lays down smoother on each coat
            Last edited by MR P-BODY; January 3, 2013, 04:41 PM.

Comment

Had not looked at thread in a while, looking good!

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Anderson View Post
                Had not looked at thread in a while, looking good!
                Thanks.... I work on it EVERY day.... today I cant do any body work due to I ran
                out of 150 grit rol paper so I got a bug up my ass and came up with a idea so I
                can have my hood pinned on OR hinged... I'm going to mount a couple of pieces
                of alum angle to the hood that will have 2 studs on each side(basically like a seat
                belt bolt... they will slide into a slot and it will still have 4 fancy pin type locks

this will give me the opportunity to use the hinges or slide it forwards and take it off

Comment

I can't wait to see this thing in person - we have to get a group together this summer at the strip some weekend.
                  There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                    I can't wait to see this thing in person - we have to get a group together this summer at the strip some weekend.
                    I'm sure we can all hook up at the track... one of them anyways

Comment

• Now I'm all happy again... I picked up materials yesterday at the local swap meet...
                      I dumped a quick $450 but got 3 gals of K2 primer with activator, 2 gals of clear
                      with activator... 4 rolls of assorted sand paper from 150 grit to 400 grit and a gal
                      of body filler and 3 tubes of hardener...also got a couple of small parts for the car...
                      all for $450.... I did screw up... I was gonna pick up another 8-10 rolls of different
                      tapes(fine line and some wider junk tape) but I forgot... oh well... I can get that local
                      Last edited by MR P-BODY; January 13, 2013, 06:51 PM.

Comment

• Great score! I couldn't make it to that swap - stuck in home remodel jail. Paint materials add up FAST! Sounds like the swap has some good vendor support with good prices.

What's the color of this beast going to be?

Comment

• Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                          Great score! I couldn't make it to that swap - stuck in home remodel jail. Paint materials add up FAST! Sounds like the swap has some good vendor support with good prices.

What's the color of this beast going to be?
                          There were a good amount of vendor stuff and this one painting supplier has
                          good prices but he will deal.... my ride is gonna be (most likely) Flame Red
                          with micro metallic.... I'll do a test shoot to see how much metallic I need to
                          add to the paint... then I'm gonna shoot a metallic ghost flame over the red
                          then clear it all... IF the metallic bury's too much in the red I'll shoot a light
                          coat of clear with the metallic in the clear then do the flames and clear... I
                          have to test first.... OR its gonna be a sort of candy apple red(its a Chrysler
                          color) thats more of a Maroon color candy apple.... I have both colors and I
                          will test both.. but I'm leaning towards the flame red and metallic
                          Last edited by MR P-BODY; January 14, 2013, 07:31 PM.

Comment

• Well I finished the fascia, should have the pass side quarter panel done
                            tomorrow.. should have the drivers side fender done in a day or two...
                            all that needs to be worked on is the pass fender... if I dont get that
                            done in the next few days it'll have to wait... taking a break for a while..
                            I'm planing on painting as soon as its warm enough to paint it outside...
                            I'll set up a paint booth in front of the shop and shoot it out there

Comment

• Patience and walking away for a while are a good thing! I am not a fan of sanding - and body work sure requires allot of it - especially if you're not much good at it like me! I can't wait to see this beast in person - hope to pay you a visit in the spring when I get the falcon on the road.

Comment

• Always like the small cars with big motors.

Comment

Working...
                                X