No announcement yet.

squirrel's 55 Chevy step van/bread truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got the engine in today. Still need to connect a few more things, but it's mounted, and the transmission is in. Hopefully be putting around in it this coming week.
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

If it feels top heavy, a swaybar from a motorhome will be nice...

Comment

The top isn't very heavy, it's made of thin fiberglass and aluminum, and a little bit of steel bracing. I don't have any intention of trying to make it handle. But it does have really heavy leaf springs, so I expect it won't sway too badly.
        My fabulous web page

Comment

got tags and insurance today, and went for a couple short drives on public roads. It's loud, and slow, and the steering is loose, but it might work ok.
          My fabulous web page

Comment

And it's top speed, is it measured in days
            Last edited by 65RHDEER; May 12, 2020, 11:45 PM.
            Tim
            Melbourne Australia

65 Hardtop Impala, 70 GTS Monaro, 93 "80" Landcruiser

Comment

I went for a longer drive, a few miles, and it got kind of warm... I need to get the temp gauge working, and see if the radiator is plugged up. If it is, it's gonna be fun to figure out how to fix that. It has the original radiator, doesn't leak, looks ok. It's not the same as a normal truck radiator, though, different mounting and remote filler neck.

It drives ok at 45, and will probably get up to 55 ok if I get on a smooth road. That requires driving a few more miles to try, and it's not quite ready for that.
              My fabulous web page

Comment

Dan

Comment

Early 60's chevy vans have a remote tank. 4"X16" that has a radiator cap on it and heater hose nipples..

Comment

Most modern chevy trucks do to....they started that in the 90s, I think. our 99 had one. Thanks for reminding me. I think the G20 vans had them in the 70s and 80s also.

Anyways...I got to thinking about the cooling system, and realized that the radiator had sat in the back of it for 8 years and there were plenty of rodents living in the area. So I pulled it out, and sure enough, the top tank was full of mouse nest stuff. I cleaned it out as best I could, and water does flow through it now using a garden hose. I'll put it back in and see how it does. And I came up with plan B also...I have a cross flow radiator that will fit pretty well, just needs some trimming of the support to clear the hoses, and figure out how to mount it. It's just about the same size as the grill opening. So if the original won't work, I'll make the new one fit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	cross flow.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	338.0 KB
ID:	1269959
                    My fabulous web page

Comment

meanwhile....started running rough and tapping noise, I found the noise is in #1 exhaust, but the rocker isn't loose. The lifter won't come out. I guess time for another new cam. yuck.

My fabulous web page

Comment

Bummer. I had great luck with Delta Cams in my inline Chevys but I ran GM EOS just to be sure.

Dan

Comment

got it apart this morning.

Click image for larger version

Name:	cam.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	252.7 KB
ID:	1270116
                          My fabulous web page

Comment

Well phooey!

Dan

Comment

That sure is unfortunate - hopefully you can get another cam and lifters without much trouble - can you run the lifters with the holes in the face to improve lubrication?
                              There's always something new to learn.

Comment

It's a stock engine, it should be fine with stock lifters. I used Melling parts last time, I got Sealed Power this time...the new parts appear to be made in the same factories as the old ones, the cam has the exact same size/color/locatoin paint splotches on it, lifters were both made in Mexico. Only one lobe went bad, the rest look fine. I changed assembly lube to good old moly grease, like I've used for a long time. The melling cam came with the red assembly lube...I guess it doesn't stick around like it should? I don't know.

engine is back together, ready to go back in the truck tomorrow morning.
                                Last edited by squirrel; May 21, 2020, 07:41 PM.
                                My fabulous web page

Comment

Working...
                                X