Joeys Wed Twuck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joeys Wed Twuck

My son was given a truck buy a family friend who passed away. We towed it and it is now in my mother in laws car port until we can gather up all the parts we need to get it together.

Joey will be 14 this November and is very excited to get wrenching on this truck.

We are not sure what to do with it, but we have decided that it will be red and all the trim will be removed, maybe shave the door handles. I have a set of wheels for it. It needs a full interior as Ron was a heavy smoker and did not take care of it very well. It is a 318 with an auto trans.

Last edited by JOES66FURY; April 19, 2012, 09:55 AM.
    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

this is kind of what I have in mind for it...less the giant rims.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

sorry about your friend

I once worked with a guy who used one of these for a service vehicle. He ran it up over 300k miles. He lived in an apartment and wasn't much for maintenance strangely enough.
      Should be a good 1st truck!
      A.K.A. Brian
      Jack of many trades-master of none

Comment

if the Magnum engines are taken care of they are good for 200K +, it is solid with no body damage at all. It should be a relatively easy build. I plan on my son doing ALL of the wrenching with me supervising. Also, as many parts as possible will be second hand, e-bay, craigslist and junk yards...I would like to document the cost of the build and keep it under 3 grand, including paint...which I want to do myself.....we will see what happens.

Comment

nice

always wanted a short bed reg cab one with a 318 looks to be in nice shape. ahh the joys of living a dessert no rust!
          Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
          Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

Sorry about your friend..
            Good foundation... Just enough power to get him in a little trouble...
            Smoke is hard to remove... Leave the windows cracked a bit at all times. Scrub and vacuuming help...
            Son in law bought a 07 chev 4by and was a smoker's rig... Really stinks... Not sure what is worse, the smoke smell or the half dozen vent " smell removers". The chemicals burn my nose and stick to my dentures...

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
              Sorry about your friend..
              Good foundation... Just enough power to get him in a little trouble...
              Smoke is hard to remove... Leave the windows cracked a bit at all times. Scrub and vacuuming help...
              Son in law bought a 07 chev 4by and was a smoker's rig... Really stinks... Not sure what is worse, the smoke smell or the half dozen vent " smell removers". The chemicals burn my nose and stick to my dentures...
              the interior in this thing is beyond salvation I think, lots of burn holes rips and damage//...I have had pretty good luck with another truck I have that belonged to a smoker...lots of steam cleaning, "Tuff Stuff" and Febreeze worked wonders..but this thing...I just dunno. I am looking for "parts trucks" to see if I can salvage anything...if its dirty it can be cleaned...this crap is beyond dirty.

Comment

wash everything you can wash - especially the carpet; put fabreeze on the seats and let them air out. Smoking puts a film over everything, so if you can wash it off, it will smell lots better. Only downside of the seats, if you recover them they still will smell because the tar gets in the foam.

Or put Stiney's cat in it, then you won't notice the smoking smell
                Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I found another skunk in the trap this morning - - surefire way to eliminate the smoke odor. Send me your address and your interior worries are over!

You already are familiar with Febreeze, I still can't believe the stuff I've saved with Febreeze. That truck must be beyond nasty if Febreeze won't help.
                  Last edited by STINEY; April 19, 2012, 11:28 AM.
                  Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

interior sounds like that in the merc lol

being a cop car there are some staind on the rear seat i do not want to know what they are form
                    Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

That's a nice starting point! I would have to agree and find another interior. Smoke gets into everything, I can't stand the smell. The only thing I haven't had luck using Fabreeze on is gasoline odor. Stupid me transported my chainsaw on a moving blanket. The saw rolled over and some fuel leaked out on the rear seat in the Freestar. I've used a commercial upholstery cleaner along with cleaner along with Fabreeze afterwards. Still have the odor but not as bad.
                      Last edited by Huskinhano; April 19, 2012, 01:04 PM.
                      Tom
                      Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post
                        the interior in this thing is beyond salvation I think, lots of burn holes rips and damage//...I have had pretty good luck with another truck I have that belonged to a smoker...lots of steam cleaning, "Tuff Stuff" and Febreeze worked wonders..but this thing...I just dunno. I am looking for "parts trucks" to see if I can salvage anything...if its dirty it can be cleaned...this crap is beyond dirty.

Aftermarket seats? Like Recaros?...problem for me with seats like that, my hiney overflows em.....
                        U use the portable steamer?? " as seen on TV" sort of thing?
                        Dampness here in the PNW amplifies the stink...
                        Had a Bandit Trans Am with real wool seat covers... Took most of the interior out looking fot that blankity blanking dead whatzit when it started raining... Figured it out when I drove home soaking wet after working in the rain and my son says I smelled like the car...
                        Removed the seats and took the covers off, after driving the car without the covers a week, I thought
                        I got rid of the stink... Reinstalled the covers, WHAM! Dead animal smell AGAIN! The covers went in the nearest trash can!

Comment

Originally posted by Mater View Post
                          interior sounds like that in the merc lol

being a cop car there are some staind on the rear seat i do not want to know what they are form
                          Son in law is a cop...you really do NOT wanna know!
                          Knowing what I do..I'd swap em out.... He won't let my granddaughters play in the back seat!

Comment

Cool to see you're doing a project with your son. I almost bought one of these a couple years ago.

The 318 is a great starting point too. It'll even be fun for him in stock form.

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                              Son in law is a cop...you really do NOT wanna know!
                              Knowing what I do..I'd swap em out.... He won't let my granddaughters play in the back seat!
                              that is the plan.

Comment

Working...
                              X