New Project Car Arrives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Project Car Arrives

Some of you may remember this post where I introduced my two cars, one being a TVR 2500M.
    http://www.carjunkietv.com/forum/index.php?topic=711.0
    Well, another one kind of just showed up in my shop (after I towed it from NYC to Ohio anyway!). So I thought I'd share some pictures of it.
    It's the typical unfinished project car that I got for a fraction of it's value. The chassis and drivetrain are done. The engine has been bored .030,
    the head milled to raise the compression ratio to about 10.5:1, the head has been mildly ported, it has a performance cam in it, etc..
    It should put out about 160-170 Hp in this 2k lb car, so not exactly fast, but still pretty entertaining. It came with just about every new part needed to put it
    back together, and I still get to do the parts that are important to me - paint and interior. I'll likely sell the white one now, as I don't have time, money or room for both.
    I know it's not a typical Hot Rod, but let me know what you think.
    -Jim

Re: New Project Car Arrives

Cool! Is that the Triumph TR6-based engine? Seems like a great candidate for EFI. I'm guessing you could hide the injectors and maybe disguise the mass air meter as an SU-type carb.

I think it'll be great fun, but then, I like weird stuff. Maybe a 215 Buick/Rover transplant? (I love those things, too).

Later
    Dan

Comment

TVR's are awesome! Great score!

IIRC the Griffith's were based off of this car?

Comment

Gotta say, don't see many people interested in TVRs in the States. Then again, I'd love to get my hands on a Cerebrea one time...
        Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Cool car, love the broom handles! ;D

Comment

It's 'an Inline,what's not to like :D. ~OO6.

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes
              Cool! Is that the Triumph TR6-based engine? Seems like a great candidate for EFI. I'm guessing you could hide the injectors and maybe disguise the mass air meter as an SU-type carb.

I think it'll be great fun, but then, I like weird stuff. Maybe a 215 Buick/Rover transplant? (I love those things, too).

Later
              Dan
              Yeah, the engine, trans and rear are all TR-6. I plan on swapping the trans for a Toyota 5 speed. My long term goal is to turbocharge it, so EFI will may be in the mix when I get to that point.
              These cars will accept almost any small block V-8, V-6 or inline engine. A later version of this car actually came with the Rover V-8 from the factory, and an earlier version came with a 289 Ford.
              I have a couple V-8 cars, so my plan is to stick with an inline 6 or 4, although I'm not totally sure I'll stay with this particular engine.

Comment

Originally posted by L98camino
                Cool car, love the broom handles! ;D
                Ha! The pivot frame for the bonnet isn't installed, so that's what I rested the bonnet on for transport.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr4Speed
                  TVR's are awesome! Great score!

IIRC the Griffith's were based off of this car?
                  The first Griffiths were actually based off the Grantura, although that car wasn't vastly different than this one. The later Griffiths were based off the Vixen, again a similar car. But there wasn't a Griffith based on the "M" body style.

Comment

4.0L Rover motor with a Buick 300 crank and '64 Buick 300 aluminum heads. Probably have to go with some semi custom pistons and SBC rods to fill the block up.
                    Central TEXAS Sleeper
                    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

If you are going to stick with a 4 or 6, why not a ford 2.3 with the turbo?

I've had the opportunity to drive a modifed TVR with a 302 dropped in, very fast and a hoot to get around the cones...

Comment

donovan small block
                        world products 460 windsor

Comment

A nice,'Crate' Eco-Tech would'nt go amiss ;). Love that Trimuph 'Six.' ~OO6.

Comment

That is a sweet looking powerplant. Awesome.
                            1967 Chevelle 300 2 Door Post. No factory options. 250 ci inline six with lump-ported head, big valves, Offy intake and 500cfm Edelbrock carb.

Comment

Originally posted by bnjny
                              If you are going to stick with a 4 or 6, why not a ford 2.3 with the turbo?

I've had the opportunity to drive a modifed TVR with a 302 dropped in, very fast and a hoot to get around the cones...
                              That's a possibility that I've thought of also. Short term I'm going to stay with the TR-6 engine. If at some point it looks like
                              it's not worth taking any further, I'll likely go with a more modern 4 or 6, and the 2.3T will be one of those I'll consider.
                              I won't be going V-8 with this car unless I decide to sell my Mustang - Don't need two cars with SBF's in them!

Comment

Working...
                              X