No announcement yet.

69 Catalina Rescue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amazing transformation with the new top...crap, I would've thought a job like that would cost at least a grand
    Michael from Hampton Roads

Comment

Labor for the top install was $400, I bought the actual top online for less than $250. So, $650 for a new top. Still a great price.

Comment

Originally posted by mlcraven View Post
        Amazing transformation with the new top...crap, I would've thought a job like that would cost at least a grand
        I don't remember exactly, but I think the shop I had used, the top and labor together came out under $1200.

I can't tell in the pictures, is that a glass or plastic back window?
        Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

nice, and you left something for someone to complain about in 20 years when they're restoring the car
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

The back window is plastic. The glass rear window costs a little more of course.

Lol!, In 20 years I don't care who complains.

Comment

Originally posted by mrocketscience View Post
              The back window is plastic. The glass rear window costs a little more of course.

Lol!, In 20 years I don't care who complains.
              Okay, mine was with new glass.

Comment

Nice work, that car is coming together so well. The wheels and the new top just nail the look. Now go out drive and enjoy the car!
                Tom
                Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Anybody ever replace the steering coupler/ rag joint in a GM car of this vintage? Mine needs it and I'm wondering how much of a hassle it's going to be. Does the steering column need to be removed/loosened? Thanks...

Comment

Originally posted by mrocketscience View Post
                    Anybody ever replace the steering coupler/ rag joint in a GM car of this vintage? Mine needs it and I'm wondering how much of a hassle it's going to be. Does the steering column need to be removed/loosened? Thanks...
                    Probably easier to remove 2 bolts and loosen one that mounts the box to the frame and rotate it out of the way..
                    Make sure wheels straight and steering wheel clocked right when going together..
                    Bolt in the part that goes to the box must come out... 12 point socket.

Comment

I've been driving the Catalina around quite a bit now, to work several times (70 mile round trip) and it's a great driver, although gas milage is pretty horrible, around 10-11 mpg. However, I can live with it. The master cylinder started to fail though so I needed to take care of that this Saturday. Pretty painless overall, only required 1 return trip to the parts store (apparently there are 2 different types of boosters that were used). Cheap too, only about $20 for a rebuilt unit. Cool deal. That gave me time to get to work on the Mustang. It's not really a project car, so I don't think it needs a separate thread. I've been slowly building a narrowed 9 inch rear to replace the blown up 8 inch unit, and got the housing bolted into the car yesterday. Everything fits fine, and I threw in the old axles temporarily just to get the car rolling. The only issue I ran across is a problem with the bolt holes on the 4 link brackets. They are larger than the holes on the old brackets so the bolts flop around. No good. I didn't notice this until now. So, I guess my fix is going to be to get some thick steel washers the proper size and weld them to the bracket on both sides to reduce the bolt hole size. Anybody see anything wrong with that?
                      Anyway, heres a couple of photos from yesterday. The Mustang sees the light of day for the first time in about 7 months!
                      Attached Files

Comment

Lookin' good! Were you happy with the job Sutton did on the rear end?

Cool that the Catalina's getting some use. Now what's the story on the Anglia? in the garage
                        Last edited by racingsnake440; October 15, 2012, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Sutton did a fine job on the housing. No complaints. Just don't be in a hurry, Lol! Took 3 weeks, and I had to push for that. Now, the Anglia is the next project car in line. I acquired it 2-3 years ago and I'm hoping to start doing some work on it next year. It has a narrowed Olds/Pontiac rear with ladder bars in the back and what appears to be an Opel front suspension. I have a fiberglass front end and rear fenders for it. Plans are to run it at Nostalgia events.

Comment

NICE!

anyway you could get some stepped bushings made up you could weld into the holes?
                            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

And no updated pictures of the Catalina??
                              Last edited by TheSilverBuick; October 15, 2012, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                                NICE!

anyway you could get some stepped bushings made up you could weld into the holes?
                                Hmmm stepped bushings are a good idea. Wonder where I'd get some of those?
                                Have to look into that.

SilverBuick... Lol, unfortunately it looks exactly the same as it did before!

Comment

Working...
                                X