Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's Alive!!!!

Think "Young Frankestein".

The Camaro started today! Made big noise - while it ran. Seems like the donated electric fuel pump crapped. Electrically. I haven't decided what to do next, but I may have to chomp the ammo (bite the bullet, for those of you who don't follow my humor) and pop for a new one. It's all set up for a Holley so I'd like to stick with it - I can just bolt in the new one.

It actually sounded pretty good. Bought the collector extensions, so I'll get those in. Maybe I'll order the roll bar padding and the fuel pump and get the $30 off that Summit is offering..... Hmmmmm.

Later
    Dan

Re: It's Alive!!!!

Nice. Post some more pics. Or video.
    1967 Chevelle 300 2 Door Post. No factory options. 250 ci inline six with lump-ported head, big valves, Offy intake and 500cfm Edelbrock carb.

Comment

congrats Dan, i wanna see it run
      Never kick a fresh Turd on a hot day.....Harry S Truman

Comment

Damn Camaros popping up like zombies around here...LMAO

Glad to hear everyone's getting their rides up and running....post up Dan! I'd imagine yours is running better than mine at this point in time....tiresmoke!

Comment

Just for the record,my '87 is still DEAD > :P..........BUT,....not for long ;). Glad to see you've got it up,'an running,Dan :D ;)! ~OO6.

Comment

Dan,

When you get that thing running shoot a little video. I am stoked to hear that I-6 Fury.

Seth
            200 mph or bust.......

Comment

See it now ... Ground pounding thunder ...
              Hide your children ...
              250 cc's of (what? are you sure? oh, ok.),
              Uh make that 250 ci's folks ...
              .. of foot stompin', pedal pushin', fire breathin', track thrashing, mind blowing (uhhh, am i getting carried away? what was i saying?) ...

;)

Comment

Love the sound of an inline 6 thru split headers!!! Congats Dan!!!

Comment

I bet your grin was ear to ear! I'd also like to hear that thing buz. Congrats!

Comment

Not much grin yet. Instead, I was trying to figure out why it seemed to be running out of fuel. First I had to determine why the carb inlet was spraynig fuel all over. Turned out that the fuel inlet banjo was leaking where the tube joins the machined part. Fired up the torch and brazed it back together - that works great. Then, the pump died - blew the circuit breaker. So being of sound mind and body, I bypassed the breaker. The pump ran again, car started and ran OK for a minute, then no fuel again. I ran it up on the hoist, and the pump was really hot. I don't know quite what died yet - it was pretty late out. So more checks this morning and I'll fix it, one way or the other.

I don't have a functional fuel gage in the car. What happens to a Holley pump if it runs out of gas? I know it's pretty low, so that might have been what happened. This is my first experience with a Holley pump - others I've messed with were either in-tank or OEM foreign ones, similar to the old Stewart Warner ones that pumped with a linear motor.

Thanks All
                    Dan

Comment

Well done!

Comment

Well, to and extent they get damaged. The fuel is what keeps them cool. Now if you didn't run it very long then it should be mimimal like ,shorted life verses extinguished life ! I was going to say that if you didn't hear it thumping really fast then it probably didn't run out but , I think your running open headers so,thats probably all you hear is the exhaust .

Comment

Actually, medium rare! (I just had a PT's burger that way - Ummmmm!). If any of you guys get to Wilmington, we'll go to PT's for sure.

I'm pretty sure I fried the pump by running out of fuel. I went out this morning, added 3 gallons of mower gas, and fired it up. The pump worked OK for a couple of minutes, but just as the engine started warming up (it's surprising how much the idle speed increases as it warms up a bit), the pump died again and it was pretty warm to the touch. So I think it's working too hard and getting hot, then it saves itself by quitting. It will also blow the circuit breaker when I'm running thru it, so it's got to be drawing a lot of current. I'm sure I have a good ground and I ran a #12 power wire all the way back w/soldered connections, so I doubt that's the issue.

So it's off to the speed shop tomorrow morning for a new pump, and we'll see if that fixes it.

Thanks All
                          Dan

Originally posted by min301
                          Well done!

Comment

Those pump overheat pretty easily. When they overheat once badly, they are typically never the same and fail permanently

They can draw enough current to burn through a HUGE wire if you bypass the fuses. Good luck at the Monster.

Seth
                            200 mph or bust.......

Comment

They're pretty easy to take apart and diagnose. All there is in them that fails is the lower housing can get scored up, the brushes/comm. burned up, or the bushings fail. You might just need a service part instead of a whole new pump.

Comment

Working...
                              X