"Rocket Roadster" Budget Intergallactic Spacecraft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Rocket Roadster" Budget Intergallactic Spacecraft

I'm pretty new at this message board stuff but here's Mine... on the road since April 15th 2007 and driven approximately 5,700+ miles including a couple quarter mile blasts...!

My challenge was to build a "REAL Roadster" under $5,500

Found the Roadster in Brainard MN and had the whole car shipped to my door for $2,200! Then I took the body off and replaced it with a 27 T roadster body I got for $300 and sold the T off as a roller for $2,200!

Found a Rebuilt 1970 Olds 455 and a rebuilt Olds 98 T400 trany for $400. Later bought a Dual Quad with twin 600 cfm Edelbrochs for $102, Mallory dual point for $27.

The headers are my own creation with 2" Stainless Steel pipe and 1/2 inch Stainless Steel Laser cut flanges and skillfully TIG welded by my friend Donny.

Next I found a Winters Quickchange with only 2 hours Total Time on it before the guy smacked a wall...! He threw in 7 gearsets, 2 sets of gun drilled axles, Watts linkage, a bent aluminum driveshaft , and 4 "Vintage" JFZ 4 piston callipers for $750.

Along the way a Streetrodder was replacing his "Superbell" front end with an independent... so I got the whole front end with hairpins, Posie Superslider reversed eye spring, 1940 spindles and brakes for $350 and he threw in 4 new wheels and tires for another $300 (not the ones shown!).

Had a guy named Bob Bleed build the frame, and channeled the body for a few bucks and a bunch of hotrod parts... ??$2,000???

For the interior I bought a pair of High quality leather office chairs on ebay for $18 each and a buddy got them to me cross country for a couple of beers!

All-in-all... I got it on the road for less than $4,800 and drove the first set of tires down to nothing in the first summer.

The photo that is posted is right after I bought the American T-II's and new rubber.

I'm presently sticking some money in body panels and have a "Top Secret" Rocket powerplant in the wings... should get this thing in the 10's with minimum effort since the car weighs 1,800 pounds...!

(Click on the image for enlargement)

First run the throttle lock slipped on the cable and I did a half throttle pass... you'll note that after the eigth mile it looks like I had set the "Cruise Control"...! Hahaha...

But I tightened up the cable for the second run and Ran a 12.02 @110 mph with minimum traction...!

(Click on the image for enlargement)

Youtube..!!!!!!!

Re: "Rocket Roadster" Budget Intergallactic Spacecraft

Looks like you've been taking swap lessons from the magazines doing "budget builds" Looks like alot of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by HoosierGTA
      Looks like you've been taking swap lessons from the magazines doing "budget builds" Looks like alot of fun!
      I've been building cars for 37 years... this is my 190th car and my 18th pre war Hot Rod...!

I've been blessed by owning and restoring some of the most exotic cars in the world... but there is nothing that can compare to a vehicle you've built yourself!!!

Cut my teeth by building my first car when I was 14... Total P.O.S. that ran like a "Scalded Dog"... it was a 1964 "Black and White" Ford 4-door Police interceptor with a 390 4 speed...!

Then I got hooked on airplanes and built an ultralite fixed wing in my parents basement...! Got it together and got enough guts to fly it around my Grandfathers farm and sold it to buy a real airplane... 1944 Piper L-4! Flew it home from Oshkosh and almost didn't make it... because it was rough!

My friend and I did a resto on the Piper and sold it for a huge profit which I promptly spent my share on exotic cars which I'd get up and running and turn them for a profit as well....!

After that I had a slew of Tri-Fives, Mid Sixties Muscle cars, XKE's, Speedsters, Zagato, Auto Union, Sportz Prinz, Countach and a Dino... but I couldn't escape the fact I "LOVED" HotRods" Real Hot Rods" the kind I saw at the Strips in the mid 60's!!!

I always had the ability to build "High Quality" Go-Fast cars that were safe and reliable!

Isn't that what "Hot Rodding" is about??? ;)

Comment

Bitchin' just plain bichin'....Younailed it with that one...

Comment

That is the coolest rod I have seen in a long long time!

Comment

Very Nice. It is inspiring to see someone be able to build such a Badass car on a realistic budget. Very Cool.

Seth
            200 mph or bust.......

Comment

Originally posted by fahrenschnell
              Very Nice. It is inspiring to see someone be able to build such a Badass car on a realistic budget. Very Cool.

Seth
              Thanks... the hardest part about the build was waiting for a deal.

I got a ton of deals by "Helping" others with their cars such as the 1940 dash I got for free because I wired up his car... took only a couple hours so I guess it wasn't quite free except for the fact I wasn't asking for anything for helping him...!

I have a good idea for what things are worth and what I could afford especially after the divorce!!! (that's a humbling episode in anyones life!)

Future plans are to make it "More" Bad-ass with other budget modifications while driving the snott out of it...! (Trying to make it NHRA legal... I need a cage!)

Comment

Nice! It's great to see that you built a prewar hot rod on a low budget, and even better to see that it isn't some trailer queen.

Though with the thread title I was expecting something looking like an Ed Roth creation.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Cramer
                  Nice! It's great to see that you built a prewar hot rod on a low budget, and even better to see that it isn't some trailer queen.

Though with the thread title I was expecting something looking like an Ed Roth creation.
                  Hahaha... I have a friend by the name "Plowboy" (Aaron Grote)that builds those type of cars...!

Mark Moriarity and a few others have restored a few of the "original Roth Cars"... but they will tell you that there is "No way" to build a Roth Car on a Budget...!!! :D

Comment

Where do you live? Just curious. I would love to see the car up close if you aren't too far.

Seth
                    200 mph or bust.......

Comment

I live west of Milwaukee Wisconsin (Southern Kanada!) but I cruise to Minnisota, Illinois, Iowa, and Indiana often!

Comment

Working...
                      X