No announcement yet.

Green SandRail gets some attention

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After much studying, I have decided that the transaxle bracket being in single shear was the problem.

I had been looking at it from the perspective of engine torque/drivetrain feedback torque......... taking a different angle now.

Engine/transaxle movement on the bumps at speed (or at low speed for that matter) certainly results in some verticle movement that is separate from the chassis movement. The mount being in single shear would be unable to do much for this, and I have had to retighten those two bolts that sandwich the poly block a time or two, which proves there was movement.

So I am going to add a second support to put it into double shear. Made the pieces last night.

The pieces will be welded in tonight and then drilled.

Meanwhile, since the trans is out anyways, I pulled the shift nosecone off to see how much sand had accumulated inside.

Got 2 teaspoons out. Mainshaft was a little stiff and crunchy turning it by hand, spraying PBblaster on the main bearing while spinning the input shaft flushed all the bad stuff away and out the drain plug. Well, maybe not all, but better than it was.

I'm modifying the nosecone a lunch today. Blocking off the factory vent (which was blocked previously, but had come unblocked sometime) and installing a neat little mechanical vent from a combine separator gearbox. I love sourcing stuff from the parts counter here at work.

If you don't know combines, the separator gearbox runs in one of the worst environments imaginable. Dust is constant and plentiful, think of the cloud of dust that spits out the back of a working combine, the separator gearbox is INSIDE this cloud 100% of the time the machine is working.

We have no failure of this unit from internal wear, so I trust this vent filter will work well for me in the sand. It has a felt seal that is spring loaded under that cap. The cap is loose fitting and the spring has light tension.

You can see the blocked factory vent at the top, its the shiney screw head to the left of the mounting boss.

More to come.
    Last edited by STINEY; August 1, 2012, 11:09 AM.
    Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
      so with my great in-depth knowledge of VW's, I'll toss this out for your consideration. The front tire looks flat. Hope this helps.

You know, those wheels and tires were trouble free until things progressed to the point that wheelies were possible.

Ever since then, I can't keep air in them. The rims are 2-piece bolt togethers from the manufacturer, and sealed with a LARGE bead of silicone (like 1" wide/deep) where the two mate up.

I've broken them down, cleaned, reassembled and resiliconed 3 times.

1st time no better, no worse. 2nd time MUCH worse. 3rd time back to no better, no worse.

Apparently I need to find tubes for 3.5"x15" tires.

Comment

New vent hole drilled, tapped and new positive mechanical vent installed. It is in approximately the same location as factory, which I hope is an area relatively free of oil mist or slinging.

Comment

maybe use adhesive rim strips? When I went tubeless on my road bike, the maker of the conversion provided adhesive rim strips to seal where the spokes came through (didn't need to use them because of the design of my wheels); however, I bet you could buy the same thing (especially since your tires aren't that much wider then mountain bike tires.... company is Stan's notubes
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Thanks! You might have inadvertently found me a cure!

I checked out StansNotubes - looks like his strips are 26mm which is just a fuzz under 1". From memory the silicone ring is about 1 1/2"......rats.

So I was lamenting my woes to one of the parts guys. He said that was a perfect situation for "1550". Huh? What is this and how much is it?

He give me the skinny on the stuff. Its more or less silicone sealant that only cures in the ABSENCE of air. So my 2 part rims are the perfect place for a skim coat of it, according to him. I even got his guarentee, he'll come pump my tires up if it doesn't work.

So I bought a tube of the stuff. Roughly $17, which if it works is about what tubes would cost, IF I could get them for a narrow rim.

I'll post a follow up on the wheel fiasco.

Last edited by STINEY; August 1, 2012, 11:46 AM.

Comment

What size tubes you using? Or looking for by the way..

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post
                Thanks! You might have inadvertently found me a cure!

That happens a lot around me

Comment

Welded the tabs in position last night, shot some paint on it and moved on to drilling out the broken stud.

I just love drilling a steel stud out of an aluminum casting. Only broke 2 drill bits and ruined one chisel, but 2 hours later its gone. Didn't get the left hole done, needed to pick up a LONG 5/16" bit in order to hit it straight.

A little fancy work with a cutoff wheel should let me fit nuts on the backside. That is tonights agenda.

New dog brought me a couple of bones while I was working. She doesn't mind the noise at all, our other pooch leaves whenever the power tools come out.

The oblong holes happened when the studs came loose, nothing I can do about them at this stage. The casting behind the bellhousing was not oblonged, just stripped threads, so the bolts aren't loose like it looks like they would be.

Comment

Progress is good!

That is one neat looking pooch you have there.
                    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

You know they make shims that should work to get the hole back round - I use them all the time to fix GM saggy doors.

Comment

Okay, I give. I did a search for saggy door, round shim...... DO NOT do that yourself, allright? The search results are not work safe.

Do you mean cutting a bushing down and tapping it into the overdrilled hole?

I can't picture how a shim fixes a hole?

Hit me man, I'm heading home to finish this up in 45 minutes. I can pick up those shims if I know what I'm looking for....

Edit: Is this what you are talking about?

Last edited by STINEY; August 3, 2012, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                          Progress is good!

That is one neat looking pooch you have there.

Wait till you see her in person. Speaking of which, how's your schedule on the 7th or 15th?

Comment

Should be available in the evenings...
                            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Okay, I give. I did a search for saggy door, round shim...... DO NOT do that yourself, allright? The search results are not work safe.

Do you mean cutting a bushing down and tapping it into the overdrilled hole?

I can't picture how a shim fixes a hole?

Hit me man, I'm heading home to finish this up in 45 minutes. I can pick up those shims if I know what I'm looking for....

Edit: Is this what you are talking about?

sort of, there's a version that is oversized, and you grind to fit the hole. Otherwise, those are soft enough that you can drive them (the shim then is oblong at the end of the driving process) in then redrill the hole to the proper size. because they are silcon bronze, they drill pretty easily

probably shouldn't google search that last sentence either
                              Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; August 3, 2012, 01:57 PM.

Comment

That's a sure way to get everyone to do just to see what happens.
                                Last edited by 68scott385; August 3, 2012, 02:45 PM.
                                http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

Working...
                                X