X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: It followed me home I swear...

Originally posted by fahrenschnell
    Originally posted by 72HeavyChevy
    Found it online in the local free ads. Wasn't even going to call on it, but was bored at work and thought what the heck. Glad I followed through!! ;D
    Craigslist???

www.Hoosiertopics.com, a local online free ads.

Comment

One of my favorite ford models as well. Keep the project photos coming. Would be cool with a 390 or stroked 351 backed up with a 5 speed. You certainly got a awesome deal, Love the fact that your wife is excited.

Comment

You are Freaking KILLING ME HERE!

I LOVE the galaxies of that era - for $600 with the extra parts?

My goodness man - you STOLE it for that price. CANT WAIT to see it done!

IF you plan to go big block with it - hop on over to fordfe.com -- very knowledgable bunch of guys there.

Have fun and keep the pictures coming!
        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Yes,Morgan,even in the 21'st Century,some folks just want their shit...GONE!! Maybe the guy just need some quick cash,or,maybe He had another Car sit'n somewhere 8). Ya never know....~OO6.

Comment

He was in need of the cash. Went that same day to buy another vehicle with the cash from selling the Galaxie. He also had a '73 boat with trailer for sale, but since the car sold, he was keeping his boat. Had to have at least one toy. ;D

My first goal, is to get a new seal and get the windshield in, and stop the other various little side window leaks, as it's been raining like crazy lately. The doors don't seem to want to latch very well, need to adjust 'em.

And as soon as I can get either some blank keys matched to the ignition, or a new ignition set, I wanna try and fire it up. With a fluid change of course. Don't know how much viscosity is left in 20+ year old oil...

Comment

Senior citizen experience here - on the door latching problem, check the hinges, That's the most common cause, Sometimes you can just repin them, sometimes you have to weld up the hinge, redrill the hole, then repin. Them's some big heavy doors.

Cool car, BTW. Dad had a '62 390/Cruise-O-Matic car for a while - until he added up his fuel expenses. White 2 door HT.

Later
              Dan

Comment

Update!

Damn, I haven't updated this in forever. I have been working on it, in between that pesky "life" thing. Just about have the engine buttoned up, starting on the trans, and some body work.

Had a funny run in the other day as well. The last owner came knocking on my door, hoping to get the car back. Sorry, the wife has claimed it as hers, it ain't going anywhere.

I'll start with the engine fiasco. After popping the intake off, I knew I was in for a big, nasty rebuild...

Beyond the THICK layer of sludge, the bearings were toast in the bottom end. One bearing was paper thin, and shooting up from beside the main cap...not good. Took it to the machine shop, and got to degreasing.

Comment

Yeesh. That's a mess. The old owner doesn't deserve the car back.
                  BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Head work

I tried cleaning up the original intake, but it was SOOOO nasty, I just went with an Edelbrock Performer instead, along with a new carb...after rebuilding the original 2 barrel, of course.

Ah well, spare parts.

Last winter, I was at the Indy swap meet, and actually passed on a set of these I found. I kicked myself from the time I pulled out of the parking lot. Fortunately, a guy I know happened to have an old set, that I got on the cheap, and all was right with the world.

Comment

Engine...

While the block and crank were at the machine shop, I got the heads cleaned up... New valves were a must.

Once I got the block back, she started going back together. On a side note, I see why Ford people are so angry. The cost of a 289 rebuild kit versus a 350, good grief...

And close to finished!!!

Last edited by 72HeavyChevy; August 27, 2012, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Trans and tires

Got the bellhousing cleaned up. It was in great shape...sitting for 15+ years really preserves things, I guess.

Also, I picked up some 'caps for the two new 15x8 rear steelies I got from Summit.

Had to see it on the car...

This past weekend I got the rears painted.

Comment

Brakes 'n stuff...

I picked up the parts to swap over to disc brakes, and have started cleaning up the new spindles.

I've also worked on the spare fender thats in much better shape than the smashed in, checked paint, rusty one thats on the car.

Well, thats where I'm at right now.

I've got to finish up some things on the engine, then its diving into the trans for a rebuild, as the fluid is nasty brown and smells burnt. Yikes...anyone know if the Haynes Ford auto trans manuals are any good? This'll be my first trans rebuild.
                          Last edited by 72HeavyChevy; August 27, 2012, 07:30 PM.

Comment

ohhh, the joys of Pennzoil - it coats to protect (yeah right).... still, looks really nice all rebuilt.
                            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                              ohhh, the joys of Pennzoil - it coats to protect (yeah right).... still, looks really nice all rebuilt.
                              idk looked pretty well coated to me lol
                              Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
                              Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

Wow - I'd forgotten about this car - LOVE this body style! I'd be building this now instead of the falcon if we'd have found one of these first.

Yea - going with a roller 302 would have been cheaper - but not as cool. Did you put hardened exhaust seats in the stock heads?

Looks Fabulous!
                                There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Working...
                                X