Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1946Austin
    replied
    As long as your drag link is bolted to the top of the arm it shouldn't have any clearance issues. It will move with the axle, so it wont ever get closer to the spring. I'm having trouble even finding a steering arm for the backing plate on my Econoline axle. The bolt spacing is 2.5" and nobody makes one that width. I'll probably have to fabricate one from scratch, or buy a wider spacing and relocate the tabs.

Leave a comment:

• NightShifter
    Guest replied
    That wagon of yours has a twin that just hit craigslist today: http://mohave.craigslist.org/cto/3707780719.html
    Sorry for the distraction but I thought it might come in handy for parts.

Leave a comment:

• racingsnake440
    replied
    I was going to use a 70s? Ford column I had but decided I didn't like the look of it and got a basic Speedway one instead. Looks like it should work out ok. Also mocked my steering arm up - looks like I might have some clearance issues.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• 1946Austin
    replied
    Originally posted by racingsnake440 View Post
    Thanks guys!

Yeah, the fabrication stage is fun - my brake pedal and steering column should get here today so I can start getting them mocked up. After that, lots of welding!
    What are you using for your steering column?

Leave a comment:

• racingsnake440
    replied
    Thanks guys!

Yeah, the fabrication stage is fun - my brake pedal and steering column should get here today so I can start getting them mocked up. After that, lots of welding!

Leave a comment:

• zombie289
    replied
    Looking good Knackas!

Leave a comment:

• 1946Austin
    replied
    Looking great! Fabricating is enjoyable, especially when you're tacking it all together. But once it's together and you're just doing finish welds it can get pretty boring for me. Just seems like the welding goes on forever!

Leave a comment:

• racingsnake440
    replied
    Bit more progress - engine and trans back out so I can finish weld all the front end, holes welded up in the firewall and gas pedal fitted.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• racingsnake440
    replied
    Originally posted by 1946Austin View Post
    Do yourself a favor and make a rear panel that's removeable for access to the bellhousing bolts!
    Good idea, but actually there's plenty of room to reach the bolts behind the engine so it's not a problem leaving it one piece.

Joe, yeah I certainly think they suit the straight axle look, radiusing the rear arches completely changes their look too IMO.

Thanks for the comments.

Leave a comment:

• mrocketscience
    replied
    Cool!.... Looks real good.

Leave a comment:

• JOES66FURY
    replied
    I knew there had to be at least ONE good use for that bidy style. I see them all the time and I could never think of how to make one cool...put a straight axle under it! simple!

Leave a comment:

• 1946Austin
    replied
    Looks good! Do yourself a favor and make a rear panel that's removeable for access to the bellhousing bolts! I made the firewall in my Austin around the 327, and earlier this year I had to change out a chipped flexplate. It was a nightmare, and I finally had to holesaw holes lined up with the bellhousing bolts in order to separate the bellhousing from the engine. Then I put electrical knockout seals in each hole so I could lay the sound deadener and carpet back down.

Leave a comment:

• racingsnake440
    replied
    With the clocks going forward and lighter evenings I decided it was time to get back on with this. I mocked up a firewall out of cardboard, then my buddy Pauly came round and made a steel version. After that I trimmed the floor - still need to make a piece to clear the transmission but the rest fits pretty good.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• racingsnake440
    replied
    Been a while since I've updated this as I haven't been doing anything on it although I did pick up a pair of 5 spokes for the front at the big 3 swapmeet last month.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Scott Liggett
    replied
    Originally posted by racingsnake440 View Post
    LOL! Thanks for the fan - I think it's going to end up on the El Camino, speaking of which it looks like I ducked out of that shot just in time!
    I did catch your friend. He looks like a deer caught in the headlights. haha. Glad to be of help.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X