No announcement yet.

440 '48 Plymouth Coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The alternative is a Watt's link that removes side to side axle movement and keeps the axle from traveling in an arc. But for all practical intents and porpoises, the Panhard should work fine.

Dan

Comment

y'all do know that on post #72 I was talking about the front end?
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
        y'all do know that on post #72 I was talking about the front end?
        I did... Some Fuds have coils up front that are 4 wheel drive...

Considering the lifted 4by's lift kits come with 2 arms (good kits supposedly) one for the steering box (pitman arm?) and the other for the hub. So going by that theory, is the rod from the box to the hub supposed to be level to be in proper geometric position?

Sorry for the thread hijack...

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
          I did... Some Fuds have coils up front that are 4 wheel drive...

Considering the lifted 4by's lift kits come with 2 arms (good kits supposedly) one for the steering box (pitman arm?) and the other for the hub. So going by that theory, is the rod from the box to the hub supposed to be level to be in proper geometric position?

Sorry for the thread hijack...
          it reduces the angle between the steering arm and the spindle. On a GM 4x4 (solid axle), that short arm on a lifted truck makes for some white knuckle driving (the taller the lift, the more white knuckle).... on a 12" lifted Chev truck I had, I had the arm, but wondered what it did if I didn't install it.... omg, the truck would go down the road straight, but the steering wheel would move back and forth 30* - if you held onto it the truck would lane change in a millisecond. But converting to cross steering you reduce the angle, and reduce the movement - even more then leveling the arm does with a raised steering arm.
          Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; September 14, 2012, 06:51 AM.
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Interesting suspension discussion, I'm happy with the way the Plymouth is set up and won't be doing any auto-x so it won't need any sway bars...

Been making a bit more progress - cut the old master cylinder mount off for exhaust clearance, put the engine and trans back in and mocked up the steering. I'm going to use a mid '60s Mustang steering box with the long steering shaft. I'll to cut it just short of the firewall and then use a UJ to connect to a late '60s Ford column I've got that's just about the right length. Looks like it should work out ok - I'm going to put a steering arm on the top 2 bolts of the right hand spindle to keep the tie rod as level as possible.

How do you get pictures to post in the order you want?
            Attached Files
            Last edited by racingsnake440; September 14, 2012, 08:53 PM. Reason: Pics out of order

Comment

I've got an old 80's Courier/Ranger steering box sitting here that I was going to use in my project, but I didn't have room for it. It looks to be a mirror image twin to your Mustang box.
              Last edited by 1946Austin; September 15, 2012, 04:26 PM.

Comment

What with swapping the trans on my daily and the continuing heat I haven't done a whole lot on the Plymouth lately. I have got the driver's seat and steering column mocked up into position though. The column is a bit offset to the left to get past the headers but it feels fine and there's enough clearance between the wheel and the door. Ordered up a steering UJ so once that gets here I can get on with mounting the box and column.
                Attached Files

Comment

steering reminds me a bit of a 80's Monte Carlo, they aren't centered. It took me quite a while to figure out why I thought it felt "funny". Looking good!
                  Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Tons of room! Looks like you'll be comfy in there with good clearances everywhere inside! I'd love to have all that space!

Comment

Thanks guys! I think I'm going to line the seat up so the steering wheel is pretty much centred in front of you - you'll just sit a bit closer to the door. There's plenty of space, certainly more than an Austin!

Comment

Made a bit of progress tonight - tacked up a steering box mount so I could bolt the box on. Need to finish weld it all and put a sleeve in for the bolt that goes through the frame but it will do to hold things in position while I finalise the steering column mounts.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by racingsnake440; October 8, 2012, 08:07 PM.

Comment

Nice looking mount.
                          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Looks solid! You're gonna have a lot of welding to do once you've finished all the tacked in mounts!

Comment

Having never done this type of deal before - how do you make sure you're all set as far as suspension travel and steering sweep?

Seems like it would be easy for me to get weld happy and set myself up for an "oops" moment
                              There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
                                Nice looking mount.
                                Thanks Scott!

Yeah, there's certainly going to be lots of finish welding to do once I've got the mock up stage completed - luckily the weather has cooled off so it'll quite pleasant doing that.

John, I use a combination of measuring, looking at other similar set ups and mocking things up so they can be cycled through their travel to try and make sure there's no problems. There's still the possibilty of missing something but it can always be modified later.
                                Last edited by racingsnake440; October 9, 2012, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X