Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by racingsnake440 View Post
    Thanks Scott!

Yeah, there's certainly going to be lots of finish welding to do once I've got the mock up stage completed - luckily the weather has cooled off so it'll quite pleasant doing that.

John, I use a combination of measuring, looking at other similar set ups and mocking things up so they can be cycled through their travel to try and make sure there's no problems. There's still the possibilty of missing something but it can always be modified later.
    I've seen ugly butchered brackets before the boogered and splattered welds. I appreciate clean and simple.
    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I like simple too!

Not much done tonight, stripped the column shift guts out of the steering column and hooked it on to the steering shaft so I could double check I was happy with the column positioning. Also started cutting away at the transmission tunnel cover to make clearance for the back of the engine.
      Attached Files

Comment

go man go... it's all progress. Thanks for taking the time to get pictures!
        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Decided it was time to get the driver's seat bolted in before I finalise the steering column mounting and pedal locations. I'm using Econoline bucket seats and decided the van mount would probably work with a bit of modification. Stock, it's too tall so I cut it down by just over 2". Need to do a bit more work on the back edge so everything fits back together nicely but that shouldn't be too hard. I'm probably going to holesaw the side of the mount to make it look a bit more 'racy'. Had to put the gas pedal in to see where it needed to go - looks like it should work out fine. And yes I did sit in it making engine noises once I was done!
          Attached Files

Comment

engine noises... last Mopar I heard when "vroom, vroom, clank clank clank".... were those the sounds?
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

NICE
              Lordy those seat brackets are massive. Great work. Love this thing - even if it is a mopar, haha.
              There's always something new to learn.

Comment

The Econoline buckets sure look period correct! Nice base to whittle on too!

Comment

No those weren't the engine noises I was thinking of...

The Econoline brackets are probably a bit overkill but they should work ok and I think the seats are going to look right at home.

Not much visible progress today but I did cut the trans hump to clear the transmission and also cut some rust out ready to put a patch panel in. Also scraped some of the undercoating off the floor - yuck!
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by racingsnake440; October 13, 2012, 08:07 PM.

Comment

Almost a month with no update fix for us! What's going on with the gasser?

Comment

• Not a lot unfortunately - other projects have been getting in the way. Did get the floor patch welded in and scraped a bit of the underseal off it - old trans fluid works quite well to soften it up - but that's about it. Hopefully get back onto it soon.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Brake fluid works good to get it stripped also, but both need a thoruogh cleaning afterwards for paint to stick well!

Comment

• I'll have to give the brake fluid a try as I'm almost out of old trans fluid. Finally got back to doing a bit of work on the Plymouth - more underseal scraping and also pulled the dash and cowl vent mechanism out so I've got better access to finish up the firewall. Should make some progress over the long weekend.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• I know the brake fluid takes off paint as a friend dripped some on his fender and it took the paint off in less than an hour. He didn't notice he'd dripped, or he could have wiped it right off and not done the damage.

Comment

• While brake fluid does work............NOTHING does the job quite like Easy-Off ovencleaner. Seriously. Not a cheap knockoff, the actual brand name.

Squirt some of that on and if you don't move quick you will have bare metal in a minute.
                              Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• Originally posted by STINEY View Post
                                While brake fluid does work............NOTHING does the job quite like Easy-Off ovencleaner. Seriously. Not a cheap knockoff, the actual brand name.

Squirt some of that on and if you don't move quick you will have bare metal in a minute.
                                Caustic soda - I use it to remove paint from plastic. The modeler guys have been using it for a while now... Lye! Removes skin pretty good too, be careful.
                                Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Working...
                                X