No announcement yet.

440 '48 Plymouth Coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My dailys decided they needed a bit of attention lately so haven't had as much time on the Plymouth as I'd hoped but still getting a few things done. Decided it would be nice to find one small part and get it finished so I cleaned up the speaker grille from the center of the dash - nowhere near perfect but much nicer than it was and good enough. Also braced and finish welded the trans crossmember and got it painted ready for installation. I dug the wiring loom out as well and started organizing the wires so I can work out where the fusebox is going to go. Boris decided to take a look too.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Nice work on the grille and mount! I always lay out the wiring system and make sure the devices and wiring reach where I want them. On the Falcon I adjusted where I wanted the fuse block to go by 4"-6" so I could avoid splicing the wires to the hi-lo beam dimmer switch. They were the only wires in the whole system that were short, and didn't like the idea of splicing, soldering, new wires if I could avoid it.

Comment

• Hey racingsnake...I had to jump over from the HAMB to read your thread after we spoke about the trim you were looking for. I have to say I love this build, and I joined here just to follow! Your old Plymouth is a very strong inspiration for my current build. I'm trying to avoid going with the straight axle since my car has been in the family nearly 40 years and I don't want to be the one who modifies it beyond repair, but you really have me thinking hard about it! I can't wait to see how this one turns out. Nice work on the dash grill resto I did mine back in the spring. Keep us posted this car is so bitchin!

Comment

• Hey Nate, good to see you on here and thanks for the comments! That's awesome that your Plymouth has been in your family so long, I can see why you wouldn't want to cut it up too much.

I've got quite a bit done on mine but don't seem to have taken as many photos as I thought I had. The front end of the frame is now all finished with the exception of shock mounts and brake line tabs, the engine is in with the exhaust hooked up and I've got the water pump and housing back on and alternator mocked up. Chassiswise the spring perches are welded on the rear end, rear shocks mounts are done, front springs have been taken apart, cleaned up and reassembled, and the steering is all finished.

I've added a couple of pics but they're from last month so it's changed a little since then - I'll try and get some up to date pics this week.
          Attached Files

Comment

• Great to see it coming along. More pics, please!

Dan

Comment

• you've been holding out on us? what the hell man!? LOL! keep the pics coming. Like I said I've never envisioned a good use for this body style and like the way this one is turning out. cant wait to see it done.
              If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

• Good to see it's still progressing! Has a nice stance!

Comment

• Looking great! Maybe this has been covered but can you get those valve covers off with the firewall where it is?

Comment

• Originally posted by n847 View Post
                    Looking great! Maybe this has been covered but can you get those valve covers off with the firewall where it is?
                    Yeah, they're pretty tight but they will come off - besides it's a hydraulic cam with non-adjustable valvetrain so there shouldn't really be much need to go in there...

Thanks for the comments guys, here's a few more pics - hopefully in order.
                    I)Capped off ends of frame rails and added gussets
                    ii)Shock mounts added to front axle - still need to do the upper mounts
                    iii)fan and trans cooler positioning
                    iv)inner fenders trimmed to clear headers and alternator
                    Attached Files

Comment

• And here's a couple of pics from today. Took it round to a friend's place a couple of weeks ago so he could put some primer/sealer on the body so that it's mostly one color - still need to do some bodywork on it and obviously the front clip and trunk lid need some help too but it is looking tidier. Didn't do much tonight - just organized some parts and started sanding the dash, but every little helps.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Some really nice work there. The firewall recess and frame rails look really good.
                        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• Thanks Scott, I'm pretty happy with how it's turning out - just wish it didn't take so long...

Comment

• I can relate to that. I haven't has time to work on the Anglia for a couple months now. Frustrating.

Comment

• That's some really nice fabrication work on the frame rails! Nice progress, looks professional.
                              Tom
                              Overdrive is overrated

Comment

• Thanks Tom!

mrocketscience - you may not have had chance to work on the Anglia but your Pontiac came out beautifully, love the color choice on it.

Pulled the dash out and also the pedalbox so I could finish modifying it. I remember reading in Hot Rod years ago about the master cylinder pushrod falling out on a street racing Camaro they took to the dragstrip, so I thought it would be a good idea to put a pedal stop on so that the pedal won't come back far enough for that to happen. I made a brakelight switch bracket and test fitted a return spring. Also added a tab on the pedal to line up with the stop and switch.

Just needs a coat of paint now and a new pedal rubber and it can go back in the car for good.
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by racingsnake440; October 30, 2013, 09:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X