No announcement yet.

440 '48 Plymouth Coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looks good! Should have great braking with the ratio you've got on the pedal!

Comment

• Damn looks good! Are you going to run it in primer or go for paint? Obviously I like what your diing with the red oxide primer for now! Any idea what radiator your going to run? Keep it up your really making me think about getting my hands on a straight axle!

Comment

• Looking at this, and at Vall's 2 projects....
        Hmmm 40 chev 4 door with the rear 2 that are suicides..... Gasser look or too long and large?
        Old man dreaming of youth I guess....

Comment

• Originally posted by 1946Austin View Post
          Looks good! Should have great braking with the ratio you've got on the pedal!
          Thanks! No need for a booster here!

Comment

• Originally posted by n847 View Post
            Damn looks good! Are you going to run it in primer or go for paint? Obviously I like what your diing with the red oxide primer for now! Any idea what radiator your going to run? Keep it up your really making me think about getting my hands on a straight axle!
            Thanks man! I'll be leaving it in red oxide for now. Once I finish working the bugs out of it I may get it painted root beer but it'll most likely stay red oxide. The stock rad is pretty big and looks in good shape so I'm going to try that first. What are you running in yours?

Early Econoline beam axles are pretty cheap and work out really nice on 46-48 Plymouths...

Comment

• Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
              Looking at this, and at Vall's 2 projects....
              Hmmm 40 chev 4 door with the rear 2 that are suicides..... Gasser look or too long and large?
              Old man dreaming of youth I guess....
              Not too many 4 drs can pull the look off but some did get raced back in the day and I seem to recall seeing a pic of a 4dr 40 Chevy gasser that looked pretty tough. Get the stance right, a stout motor and it'd probably be pretty cool!

Comment

• There were some very competitive 2 dr. sedan gassers in the 60's, and even some record holing sedans. Not many in 4 dr. sedan that were full sized cars. Most were smaller British cars, like Ohio George's Hurst Gasser Passer Prefect.

Comment

• Yeah.. I understand the gasser look is best with 2 doors..
                  I got a 40 that I drove in highschool.. Didn't drive it much cuz tires were 16" and the shifter was vac. Assist.. Didn't shift very fast.. It would go under speed by the time shifting was done..
                  I don't wanna be th laughingstock with the dorky 4 door gasser

Comment

• Originally posted by racingsnake440 View Post
                    Thanks man! I'll be leaving it in red oxide for now. Once I finish working the bugs out of it I may get it painted root beer but it'll most likely stay red oxide. The stock rad is pretty big and looks in good shape so I'm going to try that first. What are you running in yours?

Early Econoline beam axles are pretty cheap and work out really nice on 46-48 Plymouths...
                    I'm running a stocker thsts been cleaned and sealed. I had it converted to a sealed system with a very light weight cap and I haven't had any issues. But i dont know squat about 440's I was just wondering if they ran hot? I would like to run an electric fan like you though!

Comment

• Nice to see some good-looking welding, Nick. That thing's coming out sweet.

Comment

• Originally posted by Loren View Post
                        Nice to see some good-looking welding, Nick. That thing's coming out sweet.
                        Thanks Loren!

I need to pick your brains about your ideas for converting your El Camino to torque arm suspension - I've just picked up another Cutlass and would like to go that route too.

Comment

• Originally posted by n847 View Post
                          I'm running a stocker thsts been cleaned and sealed. I had it converted to a sealed system with a very light weight cap and I haven't had any issues. But i dont know squat about 440's I was just wondering if they ran hot? I would like to run an electric fan like you though!
                          Good to know the stocker works ok with a V8, what pressure cap are you running? I've had a couple of other 440s and they didn't seem to run that hot so hopefully it should be enough radiator - time will tell.

Comment

• Had a busy weekend but not on the Plymouth unfortunately. Did get a couple of coats of paint on the steering column and prepped the brake pedal and bracket for painting. Nothing really photoworthy so here's a pic of my old Plymouth racing in England that a friend found on the net.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Good to know the stocker works ok with a V8, what pressure cap are you running? I've had a couple of other 440s and they didn't seem to run that hot so hopefully it should be enough radiator - time will tell.
                              Some guys love the 440's in Demolition Derbys... Swear by them..
                              Others hate them and swear by the 400 as a better hot running motor..
                              Run water wetter if you think it runs too hot..
                              There is something about a big block with some compression and a small cam at full song dancing it's way across the arena making full track shots!

Comment

Mines a 5lb...that's an awesome shot of your old Plymouth! If it makes you feel better I replaced the desktop shot (of your old Plymouth) on my work PC with that rear end shot of your new one! Now everyone who walks by my desk about craps and asks when I did that to my car? I tell them December of next year! They look at me confused the walk away! Did you ever find that trim you needed?

Comment

Working...
                                X