No announcement yet.

440 '48 Plymouth Coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The coupe is looking great! Wish I could get excited about doing bodywork, as I just look at the Falcon and can't get motivated on the body. I planned on getting all the metal straight and ready for paint by spring, but I just hate bodywork!

Comment

• Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
      I don't wanna be th laughingstock with the dorky 4 door gasser
      Here's a 4dr gasser that's not dorky. I'm sure I remember seeing a pic of a 40ish Chevy 4dr all twisted up off the line but can't find it now...
      Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
        Some guys love the 440's in Demolition Derbys... Swear by them..
        Others hate them and swear by the 400 as a better hot running motor..
        Run water wetter if you think it runs too hot..
        There is something about a big block with some compression and a small cam at full song dancing it's way across the arena making full track shots!
        Water wetter could be a good idea, I'll have to remember that. Looking forward to hearing what this one sounds like when I get it fired up.

Do you know anywhere good to see demo derbies in So Cal? I've been to Irwindale and the OC Fair but didn't think they were that impressive.

Comment

• Originally posted by n847 View Post
          Mines a 5lb...that's an awesome shot of your old Plymouth! If it makes you feel better I replaced the desktop shot (of your old Plymouth) on my work PC with that rear end shot of your new one! Now everyone who walks by my desk about craps and asks when I did that to my car? I tell them December of next year! They look at me confused the walk away! Did you ever find that trim you needed?
          Thanks Nate, flattered you put my car as your desktop. Lol at confusing your workmates! Haven't found the trim yet but haven't spent too much time looking for one.

Here's a quick question - how does the cowl vent rubber fit? I got a new one to replace the non-existent old one and it's not a very good fit anywhere. I'm assuming it just gets glued into the outer depression in the pic below?
          Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by 1946Austin View Post
            The coupe is looking great! Wish I could get excited about doing bodywork, as I just look at the Falcon and can't get motivated on the body. I planned on getting all the metal straight and ready for paint by spring, but I just hate bodywork!
            Thanks! I hate doing bodywork too - if my Plymouth was in as good shape as your Falcon I'd just leave it alone and drive it!

Small amount more work done - wiper towers cleaned up and refitted along with the wiper motor and linkage. Also painted the brake pedal but haven't got it back in yet.
            Attached Files

Comment

• I'd glue it down with trim adhesive, maybe do the corners first?
              Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• Originally posted by racingsnake440 View Post
                Thanks! I hate doing bodywork too - if my Plymouth was in as good shape as your Falcon I'd just leave it alone and drive it!

Small amount more work done - wiper towers cleaned up and refitted along with the wiper motor and linkage. Also painted the brake pedal but haven't got it back in yet.
                Good question! As you can see I'm in need of the same gasket! I ran a hard line attached to the drain through the floor on mine but haven't bought the gasket yet!

What are you using for a wiper motor? I think all my stock linkage is still under my dash but I've never tried to resurect mine! Are they vacuum operated?
                Attached Files

Comment

• Oh and next time I get around to cleaning up in the garage I will check and see if I can find that piece of trim...looks like you will get around to using it before me!

Comment

• Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                    I'd glue it down with trim adhesive, maybe do the corners first?
                    Yeah, probably going to give that a go this weekend.

Comment

• Originally posted by n847 View Post
                      Good question! As you can see I'm in need of the same gasket! I ran a hard line attached to the drain through the floor on mine but haven't bought the gasket yet!

What are you using for a wiper motor? I think all my stock linkage is still under my dash but I've never tried to resurect mine! Are they vacuum operated?
                      Lol! I've got to hook something to the drain on mine too - although being in So Cal I don't have to contend with much rain. For that reason I decided to keep the stock wiper motor too. They are vacuum operated - I hooked mine up to a vaccuum port on my El Camino to test it and it seemed to work smoothly enough so I put it back in.

That would be great if you do find that trim piece, thanks!
                      Last edited by racingsnake440; November 14, 2013, 01:27 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by racingsnake440 View Post
                        Lol! I've got to hook something to the drain on mine too - although being in So Cal I don't have to contend with much rain. For that reason I decided to keep the stock wiper motor too. They are vacuum operated - I hooked mine up to a vaccuum port on my El Camino to test it and it seemed to work smoothly enough so I put it back in.

That would be great if you do find that trim piece, thanks!
                        We've got plenty of rain up north, but I try not to get caught in it. I know if I drive much I'll probably get caught, so that's why I spent the time and money to get wipers on my Falcon. I've only got manual wipers on the Austin, which are the factory manual override for the vacuum wipers. With the firewall setback I lost the room for an operator on the Austin, so it's Rain-X and an occasional swipe if I get in the rain!
                        This factory knob sticking out on the passenger side of the dash is one of two that individually work the wipers:

Comment

• Very cool!
                          Jim & Cathy North Mankato, MN Long Haulers '04,07,08,09,10,11,12,13,14,18,21Short Haul '05,'15,'17,’19 WST '14,'15,'16,'17,’18

Comment

• Originally posted by moparjim71 View Post
                            Very cool!
                            Thanks Jim!

Val, those manual wipers are cool - I used to have old Land Rovers and always liked that they had a manual override on the backs of the wiper motors.

Got impatient to hear what the exhaust sounds like so I hooked a couple of wires to a battery, threw some gas down the carb and fired it up Actually sounds quieter than I expected although it didn't run for long as the fuel system isn't hooked up.

So now it goes, I better see about making it stop - time to do the brake lines, not one of my favorite jobs...
                            Last edited by racingsnake440; November 19, 2013, 07:57 PM.

Comment

• The pusher man... 48 ply 2 door - $1500 (pv)

Comment

• Hey , newbie here, just finished reading this post and it's awesome! I have a 47 with a sbc, but recently picked up a 440 / 727 to heat things up! great job so far!!

Comment

Working...
                                X