Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Huskinhano
    replied
    Boy you're moving right along on this! My vote is for cross steer if you can. It'll ake it steer much better by getting rid of a lot of bump steer issues.

Leave a comment:

• racingsnake440
    replied
    Still pondering steering options so decided to get on with some other jobs first. Tacked some box together to make a trans crossmember - still need to add a couple of gussets and round off some edges but wanted to get it in the car before I ran out of daylight - I'll tidy it all up when I pull it back out for final welding.

Also got the mounts for the rear of the front springs tacked in and cleaned up some of the frame.

Finally a pic looking from inside the car showing the engine/trans and headers in place.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• 1946Austin
    replied
    Keep it clean, whatever you do! Mounting anything extra just clutters up a really nice straight axle, and that's part of the reason for going straight axle! Making a new arm, reworking the arm, or whatever to make it push pull is great. Just be sure the drag link from the box to the arm is level, so it's on the same plain and wont give you bump steer. A little angle wont cause it, but I've owned some straight axle cars that could switch lanes on a hard bump! They had 5"-6" of difference between one end of the drag link and the other. By reworking or reloacating the arms I was able to get rid of all the bumpsteer issues.

Leave a comment:

• hauen
    replied
    Vega box mounted up like they do on solid axle Fords? One would think it's gotta be a lot lighter than most cross-steer boxes, especially a truck box.

Leave a comment:

• racingsnake440
    replied
    You can mount a rack and pinion on the axle if you use some sort of sliding coupler in the steering column but I don't like the way that looks.

Mounting a Chevy pickup steering box on the outside of the frame and cross steering it was one option I was considering. The axle has Chevy spindles so it would be easy and cheap to get a steering arm set up from Speedway. Ideally I think I want to use a push pull setup and make use of the steering arm that's already on the axle.

Going to finish mounting the transmission and get the front suspension attached while I decide how to tackle the steering.

Leave a comment:

• hauen
    replied
    Originally posted by milner351 View Post
    can you ...mount a rack and pinion to the tube/solid axle?
    I've always wondered that myself, if you had a steering shaft that could take all of the motion going on you would think this would be a great way to totally eliminate a bunch of weight, all that monkey motion linkage, and best of all, bumpsteer!
    Last edited by hauen; August 15, 2012, 09:12 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Bully
    replied
    Looks great!

Leave a comment:

• milner351
    replied
    I've never built a car like this so this is probably a really dumb question... can you mount a steering box on the outside of the frame, or, mount a rack and pinion to the tube/solid axle?

Leave a comment:

• 1946Austin
    replied
    Probably wont take much to either modify the drag link to lower it, or even convert to cross steer. If it has tabbs on the spindles for mounting the caliperr brackets, then you can sandwich an arm on them with longer bolts and fab something up.
    Last edited by 1946Austin; August 15, 2012, 07:47 AM.

Leave a comment:

• racingsnake440
    replied
    Originally posted by 1946Austin View Post
    Those fenderwell headers sure look good! Too bad they wont fit your project!
    Yeah, I was bummed about that - still I'll just have to find another project to use them on!

More pics: front suspension completely removed and engine bolted in. My friend Dave mentioned he had a tube axle he'd picked up years ago that would probably work for this, mine for the price of a ticket to see the Supersuckers and a couple of beers. It's got Chevy spindles and hubs and is set up for push/pull steering. Looks like the drag link will be pretty close to the frame. Haven't decided what I'm going to do about that yet... Put the front clip back on just as a mock up - looks promising!

pics aren't in order for some reason but you get the idea
    Attached Files
    Last edited by racingsnake440; August 14, 2012, 09:34 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 1946Austin
    replied
    Those fenderwell headers sure look good! Too bad they wont fit your project!

Leave a comment:

• Bully
    replied
    Originally posted by racingsnake440 View Post
    Mark, it's about 67" at the widest point - I don't think they're any wider than something like a Jag.

BigDad - cool looking sedan, got any more pics? Engine bay shots in particular would be interesting.

Thats good,i`ll have around 6" spare.Thanks for that.

Leave a comment:

• BigDad
    replied
    I lost all my pics in a computer crash ..

It was a SOB doing the IFS on it .. those frames are massive !

Turned out really nice but, tons of engineering to get it proper

I would use the avaliable bolt on stuff for the stock suspension if I ever did another

Had a 4-bar rear with a 8 3/4 out of a 66 Monaco

I'll dig around the net and see if there are anything left out there of it

440 / 727 .. The tough part is clearing the starter with R&P steering shaft

Neat car, hope new owner enjoys it !

Leave a comment:

• racingsnake440
    replied
    Mark, it's about 67" at the widest point - I don't think they're any wider than something like a Jag.

BigDad - cool looking sedan, got any more pics? Engine bay shots in particular would be interesting.

Leave a comment:

• BigDad
    replied
    I built a 46 sedan and put a 440 in it ..along with suspension from Jim Wiemer rod garage ..

Car is now in Italy

Leave a comment:

Working...
X