Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heavy patina 61 bubble top 2013 PT build.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heavy patina 61 bubble top 2013 PT build.

Ok I posted this 61 I found by a pond where it had sat for 30 years a while back.My brother and I are now going to build a rusty,patina ride car out of it just for shits and giggles and try and drive it on 2013 PT.I am gonna patch some rust,clr and scotch brite the remainder of the paint,slam it on 18's and 20's,mild 350 with th700 trans do something for interior and roll it.I planned on restoring it but have always wanted to build a rust bucket,budget pt car for some reason.
    Here are a few pics and will update as I work on it.I just ordered all the parts to make the junk yard 350 run,sound and look good,also ordered dics brake conversion,new suspension bushings and all the lowering components.

Here's the as found pic and the car was free so Thats about all its got going for it.

Got it on the lift to start removing front clip and man did I get a ton of rust all in my hair.

Random pic.

Front clip removed to make suspension rebuild,cleaning frame and painting and installing motor and trans easier.
    78 se trans am,67 rs ss camaro,69 BBO Javelin,55 chevy and a bunch of other junk that needs finished.

nice score.... love the bubbles.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

This should be fun to watch.
      I'm still learning

Comment

nice car! It has a lot of pieces that mine was missing, and I had to pay money for mine. But mine is also a belair
        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Holmes View Post
          This should be fun to watch.
          For sure.I missed pt 2012.I had backed out then made up my mind to long haul.I then got a kidney stone and thought I was gonna die a few weeks before the tour,I passed it then found out there was another in there so stayed home.I'm gonna leave the nice car's home this time and roll this turd,it should be eventful especially with my brother co-piloting and my wife if she goes as she says she's not riding in that rusty piece but she will change here mind when the interior dosen't look like a meth lab exploded in it.
          78 se trans am,67 rs ss camaro,69 BBO Javelin,55 chevy and a bunch of other junk that needs finished.

Comment

Ok been working on the 61 some tonight and have a few updates.

I got the slightly used 350 torn down to a long block and this thing is super clean on the inside,just waiting on parts to arrive from summit.

Getting ready to strip front suspension off.Have tublar a-arms,drop springs,drop spindles,disc conversion on the way to me.

Me getting to work trying to get all the rusty bolts out of this turd.

Getting there.

Found crack in frame behind the steering box.

Welded frame up.

Finally got the frame stripped clean,Gonna start wire brushing frame a painting it tomorrow.

Comment

You are much braver than me to pull a car out of the woods as a project. I'm a huge fan of the '61 and '62's. But, those X frame cars are notorious for frame cracks. They flex so much.
              BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
                You are much braver than me to pull a car out of the woods as a project. I'm a huge fan of the '61 and '62's. But, those X frame cars are notorious for frame cracks. They flex so much.
                It's not the best idea I've ever had,but this thing is just screaming for me to put it back on the road.There's just something about finding a old car thats been left for dead 30 years ago and getting it back going.Oh and being stupid enough to long haul it on PT.

Comment

I guarantee if it makes it through the long haul it wont be because it has shiny paint. How bad are the floors and such? The first pic showed the windows open.
                  Last edited by Scott Liggett; August 14, 2012, 08:58 PM.
                  BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Trunk pan is super solid,the floor pans are pretty good as there are some pin holes and a couple 2inch holes in the rear.I'm just gonna put a few patches in them then throw the por15 to them.The worst part is the weather strip channel around the trunk,it's shot.I'm gonna have cut it from a donor car and weld it into mine.
                    Last edited by BBO Javelin; August 14, 2012, 09:11 PM.

Comment

hey look, a parts-Corvette

Comment

We are mainly doing this because we can. Not many people want to rat out a 61 bubble top. The Impala purists are going to hate us..... 61 Bubble ratted out in rusty patina, sitting on 18's/20's and flying down the freeway on the PT. This car is bound to be a chick magnet!

Comment

Here are some interior/floor pan pictures to show the condition of the pans. Not much work to be done on the floor or truck pans. They are actually in pretty good shape considering how long the car has been sitting outside.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                            hey look, a parts-Corvette
                            The vette is a 74 big block car.My dad bought it new and it only has 42,000 miles on it.I have the motor out of it right now to detail the motor and engine bay.

Comment

very nice... boy, that BBC would fit nicely in the bubble top (with appropriate de-smogging, and cam upgrades ) Then you could sell me parts

Comment

Working...
                              X