mike343sharpstick's 69 Javelin project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: mike343sharpstick's 69 Javelin project

Mike, I'd greatly appreciate some detail pics of how you routed the exhaust.

Bitchin car, by the way

Comment

ecinv, I'll get pics, Sorry for the delay. I 've been in the car for the last few weeks, not under it :D

The thought of the day is contrast.
      Last weekend I did a car show, got the car looking great and enjoyed it just how it is.
      This weekend I was standing in the mud, elbows deep under a beat-up '90 mustang GT at a junk yard tearing out the T5.
      The good news is that I have everything to do the auto-to-manual conversion this winter. Decided to go used and rebuild rather than spend $1,300-ish on a new one. I may also do some upgrades while I have it appart.

Hey all you Mustang guys, what is the weakest link on the T5's? G-Force sells some great stuff, but If I'm going to spend a few hundred on strong new stuff what should it be? :-\

Comment

Steel bearing retainer.
        Bakersfield, CA.

Comment

Steel bearing retainer ordered ;D, It's actually a jeep PN for a t4/t5 that fit's the bellhousing I need to use to adapt the WC t5 to an AMC.
          Going to us the PRO 5.0 shifter, that seems to be the standard High performance T5 shifter.
          I was clicking around on the Hanlon motorsports site, I see that they are a G-force dealer also. I'll be giving them a call.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle
            Originally posted by mike343sharpstick
            ecinv, I'll get pics, Sorry for the delay. I 've been in the car for the last few weeks, not under it :D

The thought of the day is contrast.
            Last weekend I did a car show, got the car looking great and enjoyed it just how it is.
            This weekend I was standing in the mud, elbows deep under a beat-up '90 mustang GT at a junk yard tearing out the T5.
            The good news is that I have everything to do the auto-to-manual conversion this winter. Decided to go used and rebuild rather than spend $1,300-ish on a new one. I may also do some upgrades while I have it appart.

Hey all you Mustang guys, what is the weakest link on the T5's? G-Force sells some great stuff, but If I'm going to spend a few hundred on strong new stuff what should it be? :-\
            3rd gear is what I always saw busted. Try Hanlon motorsports, they've build for road race and drag and I would expect they can offer you some options to address that.
            I just spoke with Bob Hanlon at Hanlon Motorsports, I will definitely be working with him on this project!
            Last night I ran the tag numbers on my 'new' old trans just to verify it was a 1990 V8 WC-T5... AND IT WAS NOT! > :'(
            Turns out it's a freaken' 4-Cylinder T5, Ughh!
            So I email Hanlon Motorsports to see if it's a useable core as it is still a World Class T5, turns out all is OK. I got an email back that said the transmission I have will work as a core for what I want to do anyway. $200 dollar mistake averted.
            I had a couple additional questions so I called and spoke with Bob, got some pricing and got all my questions answered and then some. Back on track! This car stuff is a heck of a roller-coaster some times, Jeez.
            :o

Comment

Couple pictures from the weekend, we have a 'scenic route' near by, a great place for a spirited drive and some hiking.
              Man these cars are fun. ;D

Comment

I love taking "the scenic drives" in the hot rod this time of year too ...
                Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Driving the car is what it's all about.
                  Now let's have some over the hood shots with the Colorado colors on the horizon, it must be awesome.

Comment

You just had to say that didn't you?.... Will do this weekend, Momma will actually want to go for a ride!

I'll see if I can find some elk too.
                    Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

dang it... gotta dig the buick out and drive it..... you guys are a good influence
                      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Well, I did it now. ;)
                        Just made a phone call, credit card in-hand, to Hanlon Motorsports to get all the G-Force hardware to turn my T5 into a seriously capable transmission ;D
                        (Painfull to my savings and Exciting at the same time :o)

I even went with the G-Force case upgrade. The plan is to do this once and do it right.

http://www.gforcetransmissions.com/tran_gt-5.asp

Comment

that's purdy .... next up, unobtainium 5th gear? I've blown 5th gear in a T-5 behind a 2.8.... methinks you know these issues as well - so what's next? inquiring minds want to know
                          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

.80 o/d ?

Comment

The case is "only" like $350ish.
                              I see now that I wasn't totally clear in my post. I also purchased ALL :o the G-Force Internals and a rebuild kit with all the bearings, seals, etc... AND a Pro 5.0 Shifter.
                              about 2-grand worth of high precision coolness ;D. Estimated to be good for 500 ft/lbs and/or 600 HP.
                              Stock 5.0 Mustang gear rations with a .63 OD.
                              This will be overkill for my current engine, but a good match for the 401 I'm building.

Comment

When I got home there was some stuff by the front door ;D
                                BOX 1: Shifter, rebuild kit, video. Never did a trans rebuild before so I'm going to give it a try. If I feel I'm in over my head I have some good friends that work and/or have worked at a transmission shop, but first I'm going to give it a go. :o

BOX 2: Gears and shafts, lots of 'em.

BOX 3: Case, this thing is cool and thick. Too bad it will be under the car.

Can't wait to see the comparison between this and the stock stuff, I'll get some pictures.
                                Is there any interest in a play-by-play in the tech section?

Comment

Working...
                                X