Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: mike343sharpstick's 69 Javelin project

Cheap rust prevention!

Cool to hear that the stick box switch is underway!

Brian
    That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

it ain't a musclecar unless it marks its territory.. :P
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I don't mind it marking it's teritory, I just don't want it marking itself!

Well, I took off this afternoon and yanked the disgusting thing out, what a F*&^ing, Bi#$% that was. Those top 2 bellhousing bolts were fun.
        Here is the proof. Now what do I do with it? It's a crap old Borg Warner automatic, not one if the nice 727 that cam in AMC a few years later. Hell, I may need to pay someone to take it :D.

It's not all bad, my new Jack made the work so much easier. My quality of life has gone up with this addition to the shop.
        Now I gotta clean the underside like is was a few months ago.

Comment

Mike: nice to see you're keeping at it. The Jav project is a favorite. Perhaps you can donate the Borg Warner to youth at risk as a disassembly project? Or a high school auto shop (are there any of those remaining anymore?)...there may be a tax deduction in it?
          Michael from Hampton Roads

Comment

Originally posted by mike343sharpstick
            I don't mind it marking it's teritory, I just don't want it marking itself!

Well, I took off this afternoon and yanked the disgusting thing out, what a F*&^ing, Bi#$% that was. Those top 2 bellhousing bolts were fun.
            Here is the proof. Now what do I do with it? It's a crap old Borg Warner automatic, not one if the nice 727 that cam in AMC a few years later. Hell, I may need to pay someone to take it :D.

It's not all bad, my new Jack made the work so much easier. My quality of life has gone up with this addition to the shop.
            Now I gotta clean the underside like is was a few months ago.

Sell it to a Ford guy who needs a FMX trans
            Tom
            Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Originally posted by mlcraven
              Mike: nice to see you're keeping at it. The Jav project is a favorite. Perhaps you can donate the Borg Warner to youth at risk as a disassembly project? Or a high school auto shop (are there any of those remaining anymore?)...there may be a tax deduction in it?
              really, what do you have against at risk youth? are you really trying to make them fight? ;D ;D

Comment

Originally posted by Buickguy
                Originally posted by mlcraven
                really, what do you have against at risk youth? are you really trying to make them fight? ;D ;D
                Truthfully, hadn't thought about that possibility...transmissions inciting violent behaviour. Seems plausible though.
                Michael from Hampton Roads

Comment

Originally posted by ecniv
                  Mike, I'd greatly appreciate some detail pics of how you routed the exhaust.

Bitchin car, by the way
                  From the "way-back" machine. Here is the exhaust routing I used to get a side-exit while still having the mufflers in the correct location.
                  I could have used CUDA-AAR style mufflers with the inlet and outlet on the same end, but those are big money, I thought I would try this first and it worked pretty well. It's a bit loud but with the new trans having overdrive the RPM's will be significantly lower when rolling down the highway, that may quiet things down.

I realized I forgot to add the picture, D'oh. I just updated the post. :P

Comment

I've considered the side-exit as well, but I keep coming into the problem that with as low as my car is, 3" less clearance would simply become a quite annoying height check for any parking lot entrance...

That said, the work-around would be a couple U-bends and adapt what you've already got.... after all, that's what happens inside the muffler on an AAR muffler.

Comment

I had to go side exit as the panhard bar I added last spring was in the way of routing the exhaust tubes over and behind the rear axle.
                      I can tuck the pipes up to the body pretty tightly as it's a unibody car. I think with a full-frame car you have the frame to work around??

Comment

the frame extends about an inch below the rocker panels.... maybe one day I'll get a wild hair and notch the frame for side exit.... we'll see since I still have a Spider to fabricate, so it might be awhile.

Comment

Nice pipes Mike! Should sound awesome on a big down shift heading into the apex of a turn ;D

The T5 is going to make your car soooooo much more fun, it should be against the law.
                          Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

Got into the garage for a few minutes tonight, did some trans fluid cleanup then started to attempt to remove the flex plate.
                            For now, the flex plate is winning >, and my cheap impact is about to violently destroyed.

This isn't over, I have metal, a welder and leverage to inlist for the next battle.

Comment

go straight to explosives.... watched a Discovery channel show about removing a prop off a ship - they used explosives ;D

Comment

Got the flex plate off. Then went ahead and did some test fitting, and cleaning.
                                I couldn't resist fitting the shifter to see how it all laid out.
                                Man did I get lucky again, the shifter location is spot on. as you can see from the crappy cell phone picture.
                                Next thing is to order some parts, clutch, pressure plate, etc. Fab up the needed changes to the cross member, and measure for what the drive shaft will need to be.
                                I could resist sitting in the seat and making vroom vroom noises while rowing through the gears. ;D

Comment

Working...
                                X