• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: mike343sharpstick's 69 Javelin project

Originally posted by mike343sharpstick
    Those pesky red x's should be fixed. :-\ User error
    Mike
    No red Xs coming through here -- all images are fine.

I expect you are in a state of anticipation for warmer weather so you can start making big progress again.
    Michael from Hampton Roads

Comment

wow, very nice-just caught up on all 4 pages, you are making some good progress in spite of winter. Great color, cool wheels!
      67 Fairlane 434 ci/464 hp/488 tq-RIP
      05 GTO torrid red/red gut, LS2, Auto (my knees hurt!)

Comment

Just realized while looking through some old picture directories, I brought the car home 2 years ago this month. Happy anniversary ???

Comment

Hey all, last weekend me and my body guy painted all the bits at the back of the car.
          Today I fired up the propane heater out in the garage and got the parts installed.
          I may be a little biased, but I think this is one of the best back-ends on any car ever ;D

Clearly the rear bumper is not rechromed, I'm just gonna call it 'patina' for now ;)
          Today I also got the fuel tank and fuel line finished up too.
          In the next week (or so?) I will be getting the glass installed.
          Cheers
          Mike

Comment

You probably already know this, but you can use an SOS pad to get all the water spots out of the bumper. Then, some chrome polish to bring out the shine. I have been making do with old chrome bumpers for a long time. Just thought I'd try to help.
            Bakersfield, CA.

Comment

Had a great weekend on the car, my friend and body man came by on Sunday afternoon and we pre-fit the doors and front fenders. The gaps turned out pretty good, and the new door hinges are all in place.
              Man, the car looked great with its parts on! ;D

Then we took it all back OFF! >
              This weekend I?ll again be doing MORE SANDING! At least I?ll be working in a heated body shop not my frigid garage.

I know it?s not a traditional AMC deal, but I think I am going to paint the hood flat black. I think it will look good with black vinyl top. If I end up not liking it I just block it again and have it painted green.

Comment

I think that hood will look GREAT.

A nice touch to personalize the car as well.

Brian
                That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Great progress Mike!! Black is always good for breaking up green paint. We did the GT-E scoop and a stripe up the hood in satin black on my Cougar to relieve the green a bit.

cheers
                  Ed N.
                  Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
                  07 Mustang GT with some stuff
                  88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

Off to the bodyshop for another round of sanding, The doors and fenders are stripped, now some sealer can go on and then blocking can start :-\
                    Prebent brake lines showed up yesterday from classic Tube, but a couple are missing :-\
                    I ordered some bullet style mirrors too, still waiting for those :-\

Comment

I keep plugging away, and still nothing interesting enough for pictures :P
                      Rear shocks are in, wow :, brake line kit install is started, wee hoo : Doors and fenders are gray primer :
                      Looks like winter is finally coming to an end so my unheated garage will be more usefull in the weeks ahead.
                      Hopefully in a few weeks I finish up the doors and fenders and screw 'em on the car for good, my God bodywork is slow...
                      The plan is to hit the first few power tour stops, but man oh man, at this rate, I dunno!?

Comment

Keep pluggin' away, Mike....

Small accomplishments add up.....that Jav is starting to really shape up!

Comment

So I got the brake lines mostly done, all new hard lines, some pre-bent, some custom because I am converting to manual discs, which AMC never actually made. All the flex lines are braided stainless and things are looking very cool.
                          I have to buy some more fittings to finish it up.

Then, I pull out the grimy steering assembly with the intention of pulling it all appart. :P
                          Like most of you I work on this stuff in the evening, so I need all the parts and tools ready to go. I also live 1/2 hour away from a town big enough to have a Sears, so If I need something it's one hour deal.
                          I rent both sizes of Pitman arm pullers so I'm covered either way, then realize my 1 1/4 socket is NOT big enough for the pitman arm nut. So, back into town I go with my 3yr old helper to buy a couple bigger sockets.
                          Well, I can not buy an individual socket bigger than 1 1/4.
                          There is an 1 1/2 socket in a set of 5 :-\, screw it I'll buy the whole kit, more tools is a good thing. Note that the set has it's two largest sized as 1 1/4" and 1 1/2". I hope I need the 1 1/2".... WRONG >. process of elimination says it must be a 1 5/16", 1 3/8" or 1 7/16"? ???
                          I'll try again tomorrow, somewhere else??
                          This sort of thing drives me bonkers.

Comment

Measure the nut with a caliper - then you'll know exactly what you need.

I feel your pain - been there several times!
                            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351
                              Measure the nut with a caliper - then you'll know exactly what you need.

I feel your pain - been there several times!
                              That would have been to easy. :
                              Got it done! I was out in the garage 'till 1 AM, Draging ass a little today. :D
                              Stearing box and pump are in, along with a few other parts. Awaiting more parts that will be ariving tomorow.
                              Then I ought to have the stearing, brakes and e-brake, done very soon. Once complete, I can start on getting getting the engine fired up.
                              Workin' on this stuff during the week, then sanding body parts on the weekends.

Comment

Well, the remaining body parts are very close to getting paint, they just need some final sanding on a few key body-lines by a professional, then paint. I want someone who knows what they are doing getting the body-line that runs horizontally down the center of the door perfect. So I'm waiting for him to get the time to do it :-\

Meanwhile... Busy screwing parts to the body.
                                Steering components, column is in as of last night and it actually turns the wheels! ;D
                                I have also completed the mostly custom brake lines. ;)
                                New e-brake cables are next and those are all sitting on my bench ready to go, turns out my subframe connectors are in the way somewhat so I need to figure something out with that.
                                Exhaust is next, just putting on the old exhaust for now after some clean-up, adding a cross-pipe.

Comment

Working...
                                X