Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: mike343sharpstick's 69 Javelin project

Originally posted by AMX390
    Hey David, what happened to that red, white and blue Javelin I sold you with the roll cage? I didn't see it in F&F, lol.
    Tom, I have that car now!

It was transported across country, one leg at a time by forum members back to my place outside of Boston, Ma. I am putting a 360 in it and going to flog it in several types of roughshod amateur racing competition and the big finale will be racing it on the frozen lakes next winter!

Brian
    That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Most of my cars aren't that nice on the top; let alone underneath!!! nice work Mike
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Mike,
        Great job on the car, super SANO, that's my word of the week after reading the June issue of Hot Rod.

Brian,
        Wow, I am floored, that car is getting a second life, great. So glad, that cage should keep you safe. I have sent a link to my friend Adam who owned it before me.

I picked up the AMX/3 chassis from Dave Ward's shop today. Check it out.

I wish I had a nice paint job like yours Mike, all in good time.

Tom

Comment

I have been casually following the AMX3 build and available bodies for a couple years now, That is an incredible build.
          It my be a "replica" of the original concept car, but what you're doing is beyond any intent of that original car!
          I can't imagine having the stones to attempt a build like that, I barely have what it takes to restore something old and try to make it better.

The paint on my car is nice, nicer than anything I've ever owned, but it's no 'A+' paint work like you would see on a pro built Boyd/Rad-rides/Foose car. I would give it a 'B'. (BTW I would give a factory fresh new car a 'C'). I'm gonna drive the thing properly, so going over the top with the paint work doesn't make sense ;D

Comment

you're going to drive the car properly with an under carraige detailed like that?

sheesh - the underside of that car is nicer than anything I've ever had!
            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by mike343sharpstick
              I have been casually following the AMX3 build and available bodies for a couple years now, That is an incredible build.
              It my be a "replica" of the original concept car, but what you're doing is beyond any intent of that original car!
              I can't imagine having the stones to attempt a build like that, I barely have what it takes to restore something old and try to make it better.

The paint on my car is nice, nicer than anything I've ever owned, but it's no 'A+' paint work like you would see on a pro built Boyd/Rad-rides/Foose car. I would give it a 'B'. (BTW I would give a factory fresh new car a 'C'). I'm gonna drive the thing properly, so going over the top with the paint work doesn't make sense ;D
              And you don't have the typical show-car owner mentality... you really make it hard to dislike you Mike (for having such a nice car) ;D
              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

The underside of the car is just a single-stage green, easy to touch up should the need arise. Honestly, I will likely go to very few car shows with it, the thought of sitting in a lawn chair in a big field next to my car puts me to sleep. Not my thing.
                Hell, one of the first things I'm gonna do is just slap the freakin' gas peddal to the floor and see what happens!

My road race bikes were relatively nice too, well... at the start of the season anyway. ;D The red duct tape at my local hardware store is a pretty close match to Ducati Red. ;)

Comment

Another late night in the garage, so far so good today but I?m sure I will be draggin' tail later today. That?s what Coffee is for.

Exhaust is on. I reused what was there as it was pretty new, still had stickers on the tubes. While I was messing with it, I welded in a cross pipe. I also did some cutting/welding on two universal hangers to finish up the job.
                  Then I filled all the fluids, and turned the key to see what happens.
                  Because this engine hasn?t been run in a couple years, I also primed the oiling system.
                  The engine wheeled over but it seems as though there is no spark, so I guess I need to do some electrical troubleshooting. Here is where the old service manual comes in handy.
                  Wish me luck!

Comment

Can you imagine if AMC actually got the AMX3 to market? I remember reading about it when AMC was developing it and thought it was really cool.
                    Tom
                    Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Ugh!
                      Ever try finding an auto parts store that has a coil that will work with a points ignition in stock
                      The local autozone has the MSD blaster coil, but not the one with the .8 ohm balast resistor that I need.
                      Thinking about buying the MSD coil just to get the car fired, then order up the ballast resistor from summit next week. What's the worst that could happen?

Comment

Think 'young Frankenstein', "It's allive, IT'S ALIVE!!!"
                        Ok, enough of that, back to work.
                        Brake bleeding time, a couple loose connections found. oops :

Comment

Pictures, Mike, pictures....

Cool that it's breathing fire once agan, adds incentive to keep hammering away to complete it.

Comment

It still pretty much looks the same, waiting patiently (well ok, impatiently) for my buddy to stop by to install and line up the doors and front fenders.
                            I have been calling a couple places to get my vinyl top scheduled, Uh oh?!? May not be done my June after all, Dammit!

Comment

Good News, Doors and Fenders are going on Sunday.
                              Just heard from the upholstery guy, Car goes in for Vinyl top on May 26.

June completion is looking good now!

Comment

Very cool project. Im diggin that green. Thats why i bought a green vette to be differant. nice detail work ;D

Comment

Working...
                                X