mike343sharpstick's 69 Javelin project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Progress...
    Over Christmas time I had a few days to work on this! I fit the new upper control arms, checked wheel/tire fitment, measuring for ride height, and a few other things like full suspension travel.

Shown is a 245/45-17 on a 17x8 inch wheel with 4.5 inches of backspacing. My original ride height is 15 inches measuring from the center of the wheel to the lower edge of the wheel opening. The new suspension is about 2.5 inches lower with the lower control arm set to horizontal. This will allow about 4.5 inches of upp travel before the tire contacts the inner fender.
    I can also set the caster at 7 degrees, with no contact between the tire and wheel lip checking lock to lock.

I love it when a plan comes together.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0706.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	1.63 MB
ID:	1139464

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0709.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	1.43 MB
ID:	1139457
    Last edited by mike343sharpstick; January 4, 2017, 02:18 PM.

Comment

• I believe the correct response is "Spiffy Keen!". This is already one of the most interesting AMCs on the planet and will be even more so as all this comes together.

Dan

Comment

• NICE WORK! Progress is looking great!
        CHECK US OUT AT:
        www.ridetech.com

Comment

• Great work! I like the taller ball joint to improve the camber curve.
          Tom
          Overdrive is overrated

Comment

• Still a Top 5 favorite! Nice work!

Comment

• How low can you go? Apparently so low I can't get the jack under the cross member. Fortunately I can simply make a few adjustments to bring it up Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0819.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	1.57 MB
ID:	1157258

Comment

• Damn...That's front page worthy!!!
                Patrick & Tammy
                - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• sexy
                  If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

• wow, you convinced others into the AMC madness. Nice job!
                    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Can't wait to see this thing. I may drive over there and bang on the door for a peek.
                      There is no doubt my expertly built AMC influenced the Ring Brothers.

But seriously, if Jim and Mike Ring ever saw my car they would at least have a good laugh.
                      Last edited by mike343sharpstick; August 17, 2017, 10:10 AM.

Comment

• From what I've read of the Rings I don't think so. There's plenty to respect even if it isn't a pro build like they do.

Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by mike343sharpstick View Post
                          How low can you go? Apparently so low I can't get the jack under the cross member. Fortunately I can simply make a few adjustments to bring it up [ATTACH=CONFIG]n1157258[/ATTACH]

LOVE THAT STANCE!
                          CHECK US OUT AT:
                          www.ridetech.com

Comment

• Originally posted by mike343sharpstick View Post
                            Can't wait to see this thing. I may drive over there and bang on the door for a peek.
                            There is no doubt my expertly build AMC influenced the Ring Brothers.

But seriously, if Jim and Mike Ring ever saw my car they would at least have a good laugh.

I know this feeling. I'm of the firm opinion that someone sees my builds and says "I can do better" and they do. bastards. With that said, when someone who is highly respected does their take on your car - it does give a sense of "wow, I'm not the only one." None of my Corvettes will ever be a Detroit Speed, Danny Popp car, nor will my fj40 ever rise to ICON status.... however, when the masters take it on, it gives my car a halo effect that's kind of cool to experience.
                            Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; May 16, 2017, 04:00 PM.
                            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

I know this feeling. I'm of the firm opinion that someone sees my builds and says "I can do better" and they do. bastards. With that said, when someone who is highly respected does their take on your car - it does give a sense of "wow, I'm not the only one." None of my Corvettes will ever be a Detroit Speed, Danny Popp car, nor will my fj40 ever rise to ICON status.... however, when the masters take it on, it gives my car a halo effect that's kind of cool to experience.
                              Your (both of you) cars are down to earth, one-off cars built with blood sweat and tears to be driven to their limits...something for all of us to aspire to...there is no higher standard as far as many of us are concerned!
                              Patrick & Tammy
                              - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• Patrick, thank you that's very kind!
                                I had some time to put some miles on it, and it actually works!
                                I only have a garage alignment and even with that it corners HARD and rides amazingly comfortably. The rod ends and bearings at the coil-over mounts do not transmit any appreciable vibration to the chassis.
                                I started at full soft, and then turned up the suspension stiffness, and wow what a difference.
                                Last edited by mike343sharpstick; May 16, 2017, 08:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X