No announcement yet.

mike343sharpstick's 69 Javelin project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes, AMC nerds are fascinated by that story, much has been writer about it. AMC sold a 'Kit' In 1969 which you could buy and have TA suspension in your own Javelin. (Rumor is that 2 or three were actually sold and installed on street cars) This suspension was very close to the Mustang design of that era, The Ronnie Kaplan Factory AMC TA team set this up so he could update the race cars. Very close to the mustang design, and it's my understanding that the original test mule actually used upper arms and inner sheet metal from a mustang.

The Donohue/Penske team took over the AMC factory effort in 70 and was able to use this basic design of that new suspension to great success.
    Interesting that 1970 and later design front suspension was used on nearly all AMC cars (Not Pacer) until AMC was assimilated into Chrysler.

If you look at the '69 race cars it actually has 1970 suspension on it, while my '69 still has trunions. Wel... HAD trunions.

Comment

• Kenosha AMC/Nash homecoming this weekend. The most amazing sight an AMC nerd could see.
      A few SCRamblers showed up:

Click image for larger version

Name:	scramblers.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	798.6 KB
ID:	1168721

Look, 2 green first-gen Javelin's with black vinyl top. What are the odds. The one on the left is clearly built by someone with no self control. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0859.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	703.9 KB
ID:	1168720
      Last edited by mike343sharpstick; July 31, 2017, 10:56 AM.

Comment

• Oh, and I had a nice Chat with Wally Booth too, while standing next to both of his old Race Cars. Extremely nice guy!
        One of the things he was mentioning was the cash they made match racing.
        I think I'd like to know more about that some day, sounds even more exciting than the NHRA events, and possibly more lucrative?

Comment

• neat
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• OHHHhhhhh - Rumbly Ramblers! Looks like fun.

Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by mike343sharpstick View Post

Look, 2 green first-gen Javelin's with black vinyl top. What are the odds. The one on the left is clearly built by someone with no self control. [ATTACH]n1168720[/ATTACH]
              You only need control while driving..... Me likey!!
              Last edited by silver_bullet; July 31, 2017, 05:07 PM.
              Patrick & Tammy
              - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• Had some crazy fun AutoX-ing the car yesterday the new suspension works amazingly well.
                The front sticks like crazy, with the back of the car loose under acceleration. Once I figured out how to drive it that way I was able to shave a few seconds off and ended up mid-pack in the combined CAM class.

Name:	ra3.PNG
Views:	117
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	1170241 Click image for larger version

Name:	ra2.PNG
Views:	120
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	1170242 Click image for larger version

Name:	ra1.PNG
Views:	111
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	1170243

Comment

• OK, enough analysis on suspension behavior, this picture is just showing off, but man is it cool!! I just found this on a collection of pics from the day.

Name:	fvscc4.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	401.8 KB
ID:	1170304

Comment

• ... Click image for larger version

Name:	images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTrBKa3iz-E4Uoo9zo1zFUPD3aKIYFbqFlmlhg8HLpCsmlBrOPc.jpeg
Views:	108
Size:	9.3 KB
ID:	1170311
                    Patrick & Tammy
                    - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• Love how you USE the car AND the fact you built your own tubular arms!

Comment

• awesome build from WAY BACK.......love it! Good to see you having fun with it now!

Comment

• Ran another Autocross event, This time around we had 10 Cars in CAM-T, finished 3rd.
                          I combined the CAM-T & CAM-C (Newer American rear-drive cars) and I'm 4th in a field of 19 cars.
                          Damn this is fun!!

Name:	all-cam.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	1174903

Comment

• I've been driving and evolving this car for 10 years now! I got it done just in time to make the first few stops of the 2009 Power Tour!
                            Nothing that exciting as far as fun car stuff this year, but I did drive it in to work today

Comment

• Originally posted by mike343sharpstick View Post
                              I've been driving and evolving this car for 10 years now! I got it done just in time to make the first few stops of the 2009 Power Tour!
                              Nothing that exciting as far as fun car stuff this year, but I did drive it in to work today
                              I knew it was fast, but fast enough to travel 10 years back in time? I never figured that - but since it's on the internet, it must be true
                              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• my pc is posting weird again.... lemme try another.

Last edited by fatguyzinc; June 12, 2019, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X