mike343sharpstick's 69 Javelin project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mike343sharpstick View Post
    OK, enough analysis on suspension behavior, this picture is just showing off, but man is it cool!! I just found this on a collection of pics from the day.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]n1170304[/ATTACH]
    lets see if it works this time with the picture....
    nope. oh well--.centerfold material right there...i can just hear in my mind the
    "rrraaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA !!! " sound that musta made.... so nice !
    Last edited by fatguyzinc; June 12, 2019, 10:46 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

I knew it was fast, but fast enough to travel 10 years back in time? I never figured that - but since it's on the internet, it must be true
      What are you, a English Composition professor, Jeez. How's this?
      I've been driving and evolving this car for 10 years now! I ORIGINALLY got it done just in time to make the first few stops of the 2009 Power Tour!
      See Post #123 in this thread

As a side note, I had also originally got the car done for my 40th Birthday, so now I'm...
      Also thinking about what's still the same from the original iteration, not much. I think the chassis and most of the interior is still from the initial restoration. Every part of the drive train and suspension has evolved. I've saved everything so I nearly have an entire second car. LOL
      Last edited by mike343sharpstick; June 13, 2019, 10:02 AM.

Comment

What are you, a English Composition professor, Jeez. How's this?
        I've been driving and evolving this car for 10 years now! I ORIGINALLY got it done just in time to make the first few stops of the 2009 Power Tour!
        See Post #123 in this thread

As a side note, I had also originally got the car done for my 40th Birthday, so now I'm...
        Also thinking about what's still the same from the original iteration, not much. I think the chassis and most of the interior is still from the initial restoration. Every part of the drive train and suspension has evolved. I've saved everything so I nearly have an entire second car. LOL
        So you're saying you didn't travel in time.... how disappointing
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• I have a new upcoming change on this. A few pages (Years) back I had purchased a new STR-11 cross-ram. I wasn't sure that was the direction I wanted to go. So long story short I sold that beautiful NEW STR-11 cross ram.
          Then I purchased an old crusty, and exceedingly rare UR-18 tunnel Ram. I'm excited about this!

The hood I have was designed to fit over a tunnel ram, a different, and even more rare piece.

My plan is to fabricate an airbox similar to what the '69 RKE T/A cars has from some obscure photos i've found.
          Not trying to exactly copy the T/A cars, but have a similar look and configuration. I like the Holley EFI option, so considering that as well.
          No changes to the car happening right away, but hope to get a plan and get stated soon now that I have my UR-18.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	69_intake2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	361.0 KB ID:	1246345
          Last edited by mike343sharpstick; June 20, 2019, 10:19 AM.

Comment

• AMC Fun!

Dan

Comment

• Looking at various fueling options, I think the best option will be the new 'Sniper EFIs dual quad' Might be the best option at this point.
              I would really like to do twin 750 Dominators, but for getting around a track quickly I think the EFI route would be best. I can also control timing, electric fans, and all sorts of other wizardry that modern technology can provide.
              It seems the Holly Sniper EFI has moved ahead of some of the other EFI options, even there own ATOMIC branded kits.
              Also, the airbox I'll be fabricating will cover up the carbs anyway.

Comment

• Hey all, just thought I'd post a few pictures of some recent updates.
                I started a little side project building a suspension kit for pre-1970 AMC's that replaces the trunnion with a tubular upper control arm and a coil-over setup. That's kept me very busy!

I did finally squeeze in a bit of fabricating for some upgrades I've been working on for a long time. I designed and fabricated these lower control arms, just installed them yesterday.
                I also damaged the rear spoiler, so I got it repainted and had a local painter do something fun with it to give a little 70's vibe.
                I have one of the new Edelbrock single plane air-gap intake manifolds ready to go on (Tunnel Ram will need to wait), and I have a new brake master cylinder on the way too.

Last edited by mike343sharpstick; June 7, 2020, 11:37 AM.

Comment

• That is a very nice looking lower control arm!

Comment

• Like the spoiler -just a little bit of fun.

Your parts, as always, look great. I'll be curious to see how that new front end works out. Of course, this means that the car lost a bit of its "Ramblerness" which may not be a bad thing.

Dan

Comment

• Now I can use the new control arms!
                      I put it together and the brakes weren't working properly.
                      I ordered a new 15/16 remote tandem master cylinder from Willwood. That was on back-order for a couple weeks, so I went ahead and made a few more changes.
                      New Willwood proportioning valve, with brackets to fit it that took way to long to fabricate.
                      New Edelbrock Intake manifold, (NEW AMC parts from Edelbrock by the way!! ) and updated valve covers with baffled vent tubes and an oil fill that I had been working on.

Got it all buttoned up over the weekend, and put on some miles!

Click image for larger version  Name:	NEW-Intake-Installed.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.57 MB ID:	1273311
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	NEW-Intake-Installed2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	789.8 KB ID:	1273312
                      Last edited by mike343sharpstick; June 29, 2020, 08:16 AM.

Comment

• Couple more small changes on the way!
                        - I have an autocross in a few weeks, going to try a stiffer front spring.
                        - Bigger rear tires. Moving from a 17x8 wheel with a 245/45-17 to a 17x9.5 with a 275/40-17. This will be an additional 1.2 inches of tire section width. Assuming this all works as planned, I believe this will be the biggest wheel you can put on the back of one of these.

Comment

• For a decade now I've had the 17x8 (4.5 inches of backspace) Torque Thrust wheels with 245/40-17. The look and fit were excellent. I had been thinking I could go to a larger rear tire out back, but how much more, and how do I avoid spending big money on custom wheels?

Long story short, after much measuring and tire size chart research I was able to fit a 17x9.5 (5.560 inches of backspace) Torque Thrust II. Tire is a 275/40-17.

In order to get the two different styles of wheels to match I painted the centers black. this also gives it a bit of a different look which is nice to do once in a while.

I'm also going to increase the spring rate up front to a 500 lb spring on the coil-over, and see what that does. I've been very happy with the on-road manners of the 400 lb spring, and it works great on the track as well, but I think a heaver spring will reduce body roll and keep the front tire more flat when cornering.... We will see.
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0886_small.jpeg
Views:	188
Size:	342.5 KB
ID:	1279797

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0885_small.jpeg Views:	3 Size:	627.9 KB ID:	1279793
                          Last edited by mike343sharpstick; September 4, 2020, 01:29 PM.

Comment

• This winter, lets make the brakes even a little better. A company is making new spindles for AMC's (Strange but true).
                            The new spindle is dimensional the same as a Mustang II, which is also larger than the stock AMC spindle. So armed with that information I went ahead and started to put together an upgrade to my aerospace kit.
                            The Aerospace Brakes Kit has been excellent, but I want to take this to a more capable brake package.

On the new spindle I have the Wilwood Pro hub, and the Wilwood GT48 curved vane 12.72 x 1.25 rotor. This will require a 16-inch or larger wheel.
                            Then for the Caliper I'm looking to use the Wilwood Forged Superlite Internal 4 Caliper. It's huge, and been a bit of a challenge to fit.
                            I prototyped the caliper bracket in wood, and will have that machined in aluminum.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Brake4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	590.2 KB ID:	1286528

Click image for larger version  Name:	Spindle.png Views:	0 Size:	417.2 KB ID:	1286526
                            Last edited by mike343sharpstick; January 22, 2021, 11:21 AM.

Comment

• Great to hear from you!

Dan

Comment

This winter, lets make the brakes even a little better. A company is making new spindles for AMC's (Strange but true).
                                The new spindle is dimensional the same as a Mustang II, which is also larger than the stock AMC spindle. So armed with that information I went ahead and started to put together an upgrade to my aerospace kit.
                                The Aerospace Brakes Kit has been excellent, but I want to take this to a more capable brake package.

On the new spindle I have the Wilwood Pro hub, and the Wilwood GT48 curved vane 12.72 x 1.25 rotor. This will require a 16-inch or larger wheel.
                                Then for the Caliper I'm looking to use the Wilwood Forged Superlite Internal 4 Caliper. It's huge, and been a bit of a challenge to fit.
                                I prototyped the caliper bracket in wood, and will have that machined in aluminum.

Click image for larger version Name:	Brake4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	590.2 KB ID:	1286528

Click image for larger version Name:	Spindle.png Views:	0 Size:	417.2 KB ID:	1286526
                                not sure why you'd work on the brakes, all they do is slow you down.....
                                Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Working...
                                X